• Register
  • Help

Topic: Claus Ogerman "Style"?

Share/Bookmark

Claus Ogerman "Style"?

Greetings,

I'd like to listen to more orchestral music, but I'm not particularly enamored with a lot of what I've heard. I find myself most attracted to the type of writing done by Claus Ogerman on his Cityscape album, as well as several of his subsequent "classical" cd's which I have. His "pop music" orchestrations (like with Diana Krall and Sinatra) are not really my cup of tea. But when it comes to his serious writing, I absolutely love his harmonic sense.

Is there any other artist out there who is in this vein that you could turn me on to? Does Claus write orchestrations for any other artsits that I may be unaware of? I'd like to expand my orchestral listening, but the classics really aren't doing it for me.......

Re: Claus Ogerman "Style"?

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Greetings,

I'd like to listen to more orchestral music, but I'm not particularly enamored with a lot of what I've heard. I find myself most attracted to the type of writing done by Claus Ogerman on his Cityscape album, as well as several of his subsequent "classical" cd's which I have. His "pop music" orchestrations (like with Diana Krall and Sinatra) are not really my cup of tea. But when it comes to his serious writing, I absolutely love his harmonic sense.

Is there any other artist out there who is in this vein that you could turn me on to? Does Claus write orchestrations for any other artsits that I may be unaware of? I'd like to expand my orchestral listening, but the classics really aren't doing it for me.......
    Hey Journey man,
    Claus is pretty unique and therefore not super popular anongst the populous. But along the lines of unique and interesting composer/arrangers like Ogerman there is : Toro Takemitsu , Don Sebesky , John Corigliano, Gyorgy Ligeti ,Vanglelis some Cliff Martinez. I used to have a great Claus O. arranged album but i can remember by who! I think it may have been Jan Garbarek or some other ECM artist at the time. Do a Google search.. Best Rich

Thanks for the sugestions! Looks like I've got some homework to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Greetings,

Is that the one with Brecker on it? If so, I used to play that album a lot -- such beautiful voicings and great playing. Although tamer, I like the work Claus did on the Diana Krall disc ("Look of Love"?). Actually, I find her phrasing on that disc to be outstanding as well.

Yes, that's the one. An outstanding recording. I don't personally care for Claus' work with Krall. I much prefer him when he "takes the gloves off".

SYMBIOSIS, my all-time favorite record. Claus Ogerman & Bill Evans, a match made in heaven.

Jeff

Hi journeyman

You might try the film music of Michel Legrand and Jerry Fielding. They, like Ogerman, were masters of infusing jazz elements into symphonic music, and they all share a similar harmonic language. Likewise John Williams (in a mellow mood).

Also if you go over to the VSL website, you might like some of Kuno Schmidt's demos. They're quite Ogerman-ish. I think Kuno actually worked with Ogerman at one point.

Cheers
    Heath

P.S. You wouldn't know how to get GS3, Cubase and the VSL Performance tool to work together would you?!! I'm going crazy trying to get them all going!!

Thanks everyone; I'll check 'em out. Sorry Heath, I'm a Mac guy....

Go Back to forum