• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Topic: Euphonium???

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Euphonium???

    I wonder if GPO Advanced will feature a Euphonium? I don't think GPO Advanced would be complete without this awesome brass timbre.

    I truly love the sound of the Euphonium, it's often called a tenor Tuba but you can hardly call a Euphonium a tenor Tuba because the timbre really is completely different to a Tuba, comparing a Tuba to a Euphonium is a bit like comparing a contrabass to a cello. It's used in a lot of marching bands, but it's also used in less common orchestrations.

    It's got a lovely intonation and timbral quality that I could never find in any other brass instrument. The harmonic resonance is like a Tuba but the timbre is much, much richer with a sonic depth and brightness - providing that perfect british brass band/orchestral timbre that many british composers have been looking for.

  2. #2

    Re: Euphonium???

    Quote Originally Posted by benjamind
    I wonder if GPO Advanced will feature a Euphonium? I don't think GPO Advanced would be complete without this awesome brass timbre.

    I truly love the sound of the Euphonium, it's often called a tenor Tuba but you can hardly call a Euphonium a tenor Tuba because the timbre really is completely different to a Tuba, comparing a Tuba to a Euphonium is a bit like comparing a contrabass to a cello. It's used in a lot of marching bands, but it's also used in less common orchestrations.

    It's got a lovely intonation and timbral quality that I could never find in any other brass instrument. The harmonic resonance is like a Tuba but the timbre is much, much richer with a sonic depth and brightness - providing that perfect british brass band/orchestral timbre that many british composers have been looking for.
    Benjamin,
    This has come up before. Just look for posts under my nickname--I'm nt sure how far posts go back. You can also hear some "Snorlax Live" clips of Steely Dan euphonium.

    I fear that there is still some misunderstanding on the list on the difference between a Wagner "tuba," which isn't a tuba in any sense, but is a semi-uncoiled French horn--the German name is "Tube"--and the euphonium, which is a conical instrument in the tenor-baritone range, an octave above the tuba. It is referred to in the orchestra as a "tenor tuba," but even that isn't 100% spot-on.

    A REAL TENOR-TUBA has the tubing length of a euphonium, BUT has the bore size of a tuba, is played with a TUBA mouthpiece, and has 5-6 valves. I'll see if I can find a pic of the old Belgian Mahillon tenor tuba that I briefly used. One of its previous owners was Howard Johnson, for you jazz tuba fans.
    A real euphonium is still a 9-foot Bb length but with a much narrower bore and played with a bass-trombone shank mouthpiece. Mine is a Besson Sovereign, fully compensated, with 3 right-hand valves and one left-hand side valve. Foto soon. I also have a Yamaha 321, a smaller-bore instrument that I use to replace the french horn in my brass quintet.

    Before living in the UK I had an appreciation of brass bands, but when I got there and started playing in brass bands, it turned into love and passion!!
    Those in the UK will understand...I played with a fourth-section and a second-section band...the fourth-section band was OK, but the second-section band was excellent. I got to hear many of the championship-section bands, and they defy description in their technique AND musicality!!

    CONTEST TIME: In the spirit of all the GPO contests going on around here, I'll offer a prize of a pint of Guinness at Summer NAMM for correct answers to each of the following:

    YOU MUST BE PRESENT AT SUMMER NAMM IN INDIANAPOLIS TO WIN. I CANNOT EMAIL YOU YOUR PINT(S).

    1. Who was Richard Yardumian?
    2. Why would I have interest in question #1?
    3. Any other "Armenians" I'd like? Why?
    4. Name at least ONE orchestral work that has TWO euphonium parts. NOT Berlioz (they were ophecleide parts), and NOT bass & tenor tuba (Planets)
    5. Special prize of TWO pints of Guinness for the best GPO rendition of the first movement of the Janacek Sinfonietta. Mail all MIDIs/MP3s to
    jwilliams@franklincollege.edu

    Work calls; more later...

    Jim "Snorlax" Williams
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  3. #3

    Re: Euphonium???

    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    1. Who was Richard Yardumian?
    A composer
    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    2. Why would I have interest in question #1?
    Yardumian's Second Symphony has a prominent euphonium part-including a cadenza, if I remember right.
    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    3. Name at least ONE orchestral work that has TWO euphonium parts. NOT Berlioz (they were ophecleide parts), and NOT bass & tenor tuba (Planets)
    Tough one. The only one I can think of is Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony, which also has two bass tubas. I'm sure there are others.
    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    4. Special prize of TWO pints of Guinness for the best GPO rendition of the first movement of the Janacek Sinfonietta.
    I'll think about it. Do we have enough trumpets?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

    "It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

  4. #4

    Re: Euphonium???

    I remember Garritan mentioning the Euphonium when he was talking about the Big Band/Jazz add-on. Maybe the Euphonium will be in the Big Band/Jazz...

    I imagine it would be more at home with jazz/big band stuff than in an orchestra, but it would be at home in either GPO Advanced or Big Band & Jazz ;-)

    I believe there is a Wagner Tuba (which is very similar to a Euphonium but with a different resonant texture) in GPO Advanced. I believe the Euphonium was used in place of the Wagner Tuba in brass orchestration when one was not available.

    Still, a Euphonium cannot be replaced by anything out there - I can't wait for a real Euphonium

    I can't wait for GPO Advanced and Big Band & Jazz. If I can upgrade my GPO to GPO Advanced for $250 I'll get it without hesitation

    Getting Big Band & Jazz is going to be easy...$250...wow...at that price I'll grab it!

  5. #5

    Re: Euphonium???

    I've never heard of Euphonium in Big band. It would be much better suited to the orchestral package. (Oh and I have been told that the Wagner tuba is nothing like the Euphonium, although I have also been told that the Euphonium is substituted for it often.
    I am also very, very wary of using the big band instruments in non 'pops' orchestral works. The way a performer plays their instrument in a totally different way than they would in an orchestra. The big band instruments, if done as well as Garrita usually does, will not at all be compatible with the classic orchestra repetoire. On the same token, the trumpets and trombones in GPO cannot be used to play jazz. The tone is all wrong.

    I do hope that the GPO advanced adds Euphoniums and CLASSICAL saxes, but I'm not going to count on it until I see the instrument list. The only way to make demos of symphonic band music is with these instruments.

    A lot will be resolved when the list of instruments are released.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Re: Euphonium???

    Euphoniums, Baritone, Wagner Tubas, Mellophone and other brass will be in the GPO Advanced Version. There will be lots of surprises.

    Gary Garritan

  7. #7

    Re: Euphonium???

    Swooooooonnnn!

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    12

    Re: Euphonium???

    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Euphoniums, Baritone, Wagner Tubas, Mellophone and other brass will be in the GPO Advanced Version. There will be lots of surprises.

    Gary Garritan
    That's great!!!

    Has there been any plans to make an "old instruments" library (gambas, dulcians, kortholts etc.)?

    -Mikko

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Euphonium???

    Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    .

    I do hope that the GPO advanced adds Euphoniums and CLASSICAL saxes
    Agreed - Just saw BSO do Ravel's orchestration of "Pictures at an Exhibition". Can't do that without saxes.
    Trent P. McDonald

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Euphonium???

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Swooooooonnnn!
    I hope this is your insider's edge speaking - this is the newly announced product I'm most looking forward to.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •