• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steve Goers - Excerpt from "Where the Wild Things Are" Musical

Share/Bookmark

Steve Goers - Excerpt from "Where the Wild Things Are" Musical

Steve Goers has been an active member of this forum and it is such an honor for him to be a part of our community.

Last Thanksgiving I posted about Steve Goers and his music for "Where the Wild Things Are" being used in the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade (see quote below). Steve has been gracious enough to share a quick excerpt from the show.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/sg-WildThings-Start.mp3

This is extraordinary Steve! I hope you all enjoy Steve's music as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Steve Goers, a grammy-nominated composer in Chicago, has done the music for the first fully authorized musical adaptation of "Where the Wild Things Are". Steve writes he "used GPO almost exclusively" on this project. The show completely sold out its first run at the Apollo Theatre, and has since been extended twice, has booked almost 100 tour dates, and some top theaters are seeking to license the show.

A 2-minute excerpt of the show will be featured during the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade, which is broadcast live on ABC! Steve writes "Only 3 Chicago theaters are selected each year, and this year it was Goodman's "Christmas Carol" (a perennial shoe-in), the national tour of "Mama Mia" (the highest grossing show in Chicago) and us! We were incredibly honored, and as a result now my GPO-heavy score will be on national TV Thanksgiving"
    Steve, I am looking forward to hearing your music from "Cinderella" and the other projects you are working on. Thanks for sharing your music.

Gary Garritan

Re: Steve Goers - Excerpt from "Where the Wild Things Are" Musical

Where the Wild Things Are has always been my favorite kids book. I would really like to hear this completely!

Another sincere congrats, Gary!
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Ah . . . the memories of the book . . .

Thanks for sharing! It sounds awesome, I can't stop listening! Great orchestration. I wish I could see the musical . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Ah . . . the memories of the book . . .

Thanks for sharing! It sounds awesome, I can't stop listening! Great orchestration. I wish I could see the musical . . .
    Thanks, Sean!

With any luck, you will be able to see it! We've had inquiries from all over the country, as this is the only authorized adaptation of an incredibly popular book. The snag we're hitting at the moment is that Universal Pictures owns the film rights and is extremely hesitant to allow ANY kind of competition. So as helpful and supportive as Maurice and his people have been, we're getting all kinds of resistance from Universal. Keep your fingers crossed we can work something out, and then: coming soon to a theatre near you

Thanks for the great comments, everyone, and to Gary for posting this. I'll be putting up a longer excerpt on my work-in-progress website.

Cheers!

This is great. Sounds like it will be a great show. Thanks for letting Gary post this. I'll watch closely for more excerpts.
    Trent P. McDonald

I really loved this excerpt. It sounds like it was written for my daughter, I played it for her about 4 four times. Wonderful stuff!

Deserving *bump*

Hey, everyone,

I just uploaded the full 10:27 version of "Where the Wild Things Are" if anyone's interested in having a listen. Thanks to everyone for the great comments and to Gary for posting this!

Steve
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Thanks for posting the full "Where the Wild Things Are". It sounds great. Do the actors do all of the voices live or is some taped? If live, are effects use for any, like the really deep voices? Thanks again for posting.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Thanks for posting the full "Where the Wild Things Are". It sounds great. Do the actors do all of the voices live or is some taped? If live, are effects use for any, like the really deep voices? Thanks again for posting.
    Thanks, Trent!

The creature voices (with effects) are tracked for performance. The creature costumes and headpieces were just too large and complex for the actors to project any sound out of them. And since the show has a pretty rigorous tour schedule, there was not any way to consistently mike the costumes since we had no idea from venue to venue if it would be technically feasible. All the rest of the vocals in the song, and ALL the vocals in the other songs in the show, are performed live.

Thanks again for giving it a listen!
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Go Back to forum