• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fat Man vs. Complete Guide: Which first?`

Share/Bookmark

Fat Man vs. Complete Guide: Which first?`

Any of you have any thoughts as to which book I should pick up first? Fat Man's Guide or Aaron's Complete Guide?

Thanks!

Re: Fat Man vs. Complete Guide: Which first?`

I found Aaron's more useful but The Fat Man's was a great read .

Absolutely in accord here. Aaron Mark's book is very much a "how-to" guide, whereas George's book is a collection of anecdotes from a legend in the industry. There's the occasional gem of wisdom there, particularly as it relates to forming and sustaining relationships, but if you're getting started and need a "cookbook" for things like demo submissions, negotiating your first contract, etc., The Complete Guide to Game Audio is the way to go.

I'm looking for a kickstart more than anything - sounds like Aaron's book is the one to go for for newbies like me. Fat Man will be a good follow up to keep me going once my feet are wet.

Just adding more agreement... Aaron Mark's book is the "How to", The Fat Man's book book is more about his personal crazy adventures and philosophy. I like them both, but Aaron's book has a lot more practical value as a "how to" resource.
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

http://www.toddkinsley.com

Angry Re: Fat Man vs. Complete Guide: Which first?`

So I got the Complete Guide today from Amazon and it is in terrible condition - probably the worst thing Amazon has ever sent me. And the CD-ROM is missing.

Question: Do I send it back on principal and to get the CDROM, or do I keep it because it is the content that counts...? Not sure how useful the CDROM is going to be...?

Edit: Forget it. I'm sending it back to Aamazon. I've never gotten anything from them that has been this bad. It looks like they went to the University Bookstore and bought a used copy and dumped it in the mail to me...

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your feedback - I got the replacement and I REALLY like this book. Though some of the technological aspects are already woefully out of date, it isn't too difficult to translate those things into the more current jargon...Cheers!

Time for a second edition! (breaks out dusty laptop, and with crossed fingers, presses power button....)

I just got a message from the bookstore that my copy of the Complete Guide has arrived (bought exclusively by reccomendation on this forum )

Aaron, you flogging it at gdc? Gonna give me an autographed copy this time
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

Go Back to forum