• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: G5 Powerbook on the Horizon?

Share/Bookmark

G5 Powerbook on the Horizon?

G5 Powerbook on the Horizon? The Register speculates that clues from Apple's own website suggests that it might be. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01..._powerbook_g5/

Re: G5 Powerbook on the Horizon?

Got my credit card ready. Powerbook G5, Garritan Jazz Band, Advanced GPO & Solo Stradivari.

Anyone want to take my money yet?

JT

Hmmm, this might be a wise investment if I go on the road.
    Styxx

I would love it.... BUT..... I can name three reasons why it's a ways over my horizon!

1.... I got the G4 laptop (which I use more than my desktop even though my desktop is faster), and it gets pretty hot in the old lap! I can't imagine the G5. How the heck are the going to cool it?

2....I am just about to receive via UPS the Power Mac G5 dual 1.8ghz processor. Which as a result brings me to 3:

3.... The main reason is, I would have to win the lottery!!!! Too much stuff has come out recently. I may have to take a second job just to keep up!

They do need to come out with the G5 laptop because that is the only part of the company whose sales went down last year.

.... I still want to know how they are going to cool it!!!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Not going to happen. IBM still can't get the chips to run cool enough for a laptop. Here's one such post (there have been more recent similar remarks from Apple)

Tom Boger, director of Apple's worldwide product marketing, told The Mac Observer that consumers shouldn't expect the G5 in a portable for the forseeable future.

"The new iMac G5 (desktop) is thin, but (the G5) is not thin enough for a laptop right now, "Mr. Boger said. "There are great challenges in putting a G5 processor in a laptop. The issues range from power to cooling and its overall size...You're not going to see a G5 in a laptop anytime soon."

Mr. Boger ruled out any G5 laptop this year, and would not even speculate when such a product would be available.

EDIT: This quote is from September, so who knows. But given the technological feat of cramming a G5 in a laptop, you know folks jumping on rev. A models will be in for a rough ride!

Quote Originally Posted by qbert
    Not going to happen. IBM still can't get the chips to run cool enough for a laptop. Here's one such post (there have been more recent similar remarks from Apple)
    Bummer!! I guess my low powered G4 powerbook will have to do. I plan on someday (after I too win the lottery!) to get a nice big 2.5 ghz Dual G5 (or whatever they have upped it to by that time) with at least 4 GIGs of RAM. (drool).

But until then - it's going to be me and my 667 mhz powerbook G4 and my 1 ghz iMac g4.

(yeah - I know they are not even meeting the minimum specs for loading GPO, but I get by with my little tricks and nonsense)

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Thomson
    I was in my dealers today to either

A: get more memory for my laptop G4 or
    B: buy a new laptop I could get 2g into..

BUT!!!!!!!!!!

He told me :

'Hold off for a few days... if you know what I mean....'

Paul
    My magic 8 ball says: "All signs point to new Powerbook very soon!"

JP

Quote Originally Posted by qbert
    My magic 8 ball says: "All signs point to new Powerbook very soon!"
    They won't be G5s. They will be speed-bumped G4s -- 1.5/1.67 GHz instead of 1.33/1.5 GHz. There might be a graphics card upgrade as well.

If PowerBook G5s were just around the corner, don't you think Steve would have announced them at MacWorld?

It's not even certain that the next revision (after the speed bump) will be a G5 -- it might well be a dual G4.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad
    They won't be G5s. They will be speed-bumped G4s -- 1.5/1.67 GHz instead of 1.33/1.5 GHz. There might be a graphics card upgrade as well.

If PowerBook G5s were just around the corner, don't you think Steve would have announced them at MacWorld?

It's not even certain that the next revision (after the speed bump) will be a G5 -- it might well be a dual G4.
    Check this out:http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=857

and this: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20920

Rick
    Last edited by RickD; 01-29-2005 at 11:04 AM. Reason: I found another link

Quote Originally Posted by RickD
    Check this out: http://www.apple.com/powerbook

Now if only my magic 8-ball could pick lottery numbers!

JP

Go Back to forum