• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can I clean a corrupted .gsp file OR rewire into Sonar with 48K / 96K sample rate?

Share/Bookmark

Can I clean a corrupted .gsp file OR rewire into Sonar with 48K / 96K sample rate?

GigaStudio Ensemble version 3.04.1757
    AMD Athlon64 3200+ / 1 GB RAM / Windows XP Pro
    m-Audio Delta 1010

Hello,
    Could anyone please answer ANY of the following:

1. How do I clean a corrupted .gsp (performance) file? (see background info below)

OR 2. How can I rewire GS3 without a mismatched sample rate? (When rewiring at 48K or higher, the samples are pitch-shifted up, even on 96K sample library!! - same problem on every sound card including my Delta 1010 with all other cards and drivers disabled / removed)

OR 3. How do I record directly into Sonar (with my m-Audio Delta 1010) WITHOUT using rewire?

Sorry for all the ?'s at once, I've just about had it with the DSP station altogether because of this crashing!

Background info:

All of a sudden GigaStudio Ensemble crashes when loading a performance (.gsp) file. This has happened to me twice and a significant amount of mixing work has now been lost. It will almost load the old version, then I get an error that says "GigaStudio 3 Workstation has encountered a problem and needs to close..." When I try to load the newer version, GS3 just quits with no error message at all.

I used a Cakewalk/Sonitus reverb VST plugin in the .gsp, but that wasn't the problem, as I just tried creating a new .gsp, inserted that VST, saved, restarted GS3, and was able to reload that .gsp with the Cakewalk plugin in it with no problem.

However, just before the crash problem, I tried scanning/adding a new plugin (Crunchessor) and inserted it successfully in a new .gsp. Then, as soon as I tried to open my .gsp after enabling this plugin, GS3 closed. I HAD NOT YET INSERTED the crunchessor into my .gsp (couldn't even open it!). I figured this was causing the crash, so I opened the config, REMOVED all plugins, applied, reopened the config, added the Cakewalk plugin back in, and tried again to open my .gsp -- to no avail.

I then ran GigaClean, completely re-installed GS3 + the 3.04 update, restored my registration -- still crashes on my poor .gsp. I've tried loading backup copies of the .gsp - nothing. But I did not save the performance at all after adding the mischievous crunchessor plugin.

So could anyone please tell me if there is any way to "un-corrupt" my .gsp file?

Thank you very, very much in advance!

Re: Can I clean a corrupted .gsp file OR rewire into Sonar with 48K / 96K sample rate

OK, I figured out the rewire issue at least --
    GS 3.00 does not have sample rate issues on rewire after re-installing.
    I tried reapplying the 3.04 patch and sure enough, the sample rate issue reappeared on rewire, so I'll have to wait for 3.05, I guess...

Re: Can I clean a corrupted .gsp file OR rewire into Sonar with 48K / 96K sample rate

At this point I would nor use Rewire at all...it is poorly implemented IMO.
    Had also problems with it so for now I'll stay within the GSIF kernel level world.

Its much better. I think your audiocard also support gsif, so go for it
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Re: Can I clean a corrupted .gsp file OR rewire into Sonar with 48K / 96K sample rate?

I'd guess you are seeing memory problems: you make a .gsp that almost fills your available memory, then install something new so that less memory is available for gigastudio, and it will no longer load the .gsp. Try temporarily eliminating all non-essential running processes using task manager, before starting gigastudio.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    I'd guess you are seeing memory problems: you make a .gsp that almost fills your available memory, then install something new so that less memory is available for gigastudio, and it will no longer load the .gsp. Try temporarily eliminating all non-essential running processes using task manager, before starting gigastudio.

Not really. The gsp file load was about 61 % on my 1gig ram DAW.
    I have gsp files which are more about 70% loaded and more without problems.

Also I have tweaked the hell out of my computer, so no "non-essential processes"are running in the background.

Maybe it has something to do with VST plugins. I think I have one loaded in the first gsp file of my project ( which is corrupted now). I'll do some testing.

It is the first time I've encountered this "POOF" on Gs3....strange...
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Hey, glad to know someone else found it too! Well, really not glad <g>, but relieved I am not alone. :-)

Yes, I too have tweaked and re-tweaked, changed Giga/XP memory config, re-installed Giga, Giga-cleaned, re-installed XP, and re-registered Giga about 4 times now, after moving my sound card to different slots, trying "Standard PC" installation of XP (THAT was a joke!), and back to ACPI again, disabled all unnecessary Windows services, etc. etc. Been a LONG few days...

BTW, my config: AMD Athlon64 3200+, ASUS K8V deluxe, onboard audio and even USB are disabled, onboard COM/LPT ports, etc. disabled, 1 GB RAM, Maxtor main drive, WD 80-0JB data/sample drive on Promise controller, NO overclocking at all. (Have even reset BIOS config several times. And with every hardware change, guess what? New registration needed! HAHA!!)

WHY REWIRE? The reason I wanted to use rewire, is because of the DSP CRASHING issue! I HAD MY MIX PERFECT IN THE DSP STATION... TWICE... AFTER HOURS OF MIXDOWN WORK and tweaking. Then, as you said Przemyslaw, POOF!
    I'd really rather use GSIF, as you suggested, because I just invested a hunk of $$$ into my m-audio card as the knowledgeable author of a large Giga library suggested.
    But I'd rather either mixdown in Sonar, OR Giga - not both! I mean, I can't do both anyways, without using rewire, and that requires ridiculous bussing tricks because of the MONO OUTPUTS! I really don't want to have to rewire with Giga unless they give me stereo outputs and proper sample rates. <g>

YES, YOU CAN mixdown with Giga "out of the box" with little problem - with the default config on everything and no plugins. But do please tell me HOW MANY PRODUCERS WILL MIX FULL ALBUMS USING ONLY THE 4 FX INCLUDED IN GIGA? What good are 64+ channels if you can't do any aux/inserts without crashing??? Giga is supposed to work with 3rd party VST, but many aren't compatible. I finally did get the Crunchessor plugin to work in Giga, but with a severe latency problem - and no compensation setting in Giga?

I simply want to do some side-chain compression. And I can't even use GigaPulse on any other channels unless I upgrade to the Orchestra version!!! AAAHHH! I LOVE GigaStudio, but ho hum... so many issues. I'll have to go back to my previous setup to get this album done, then I pray that in about 6 months, God willing, some of these issues will be fixed.

Sorry for the long post, I just wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar, OR IS IT JUST ME?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetguy05
    Hey, glad to know someone else found it too! Well, really not glad <g>, but relieved I am not alone. :-)

Yes, I too have tweaked and re-tweaked, changed Giga/XP memory config, re-installed Giga, Giga-cleaned, re-installed XP, and re-registered Giga about 4 times now, after moving my sound card to different slots, trying "Standard PC" installation of XP (THAT was a joke!), and back to ACPI again, disabled all unnecessary Windows services, etc. etc. Been a LONG few days...

BTW, my config: AMD Athlon64 3200+, ASUS K8V deluxe, onboard audio and even USB are disabled, onboard COM/LPT ports, etc. disabled, 1 GB RAM, Maxtor main drive, WD 80-0JB data/sample drive on Promise controller, NO overclocking at all. (Have even reset BIOS config several times. And with every hardware change, guess what? New registration needed! HAHA!!)

WHY REWIRE? The reason I wanted to use rewire, is because of the DSP CRASHING issue! I HAD MY MIX PERFECT IN THE DSP STATION... TWICE... AFTER HOURS OF MIXDOWN WORK and tweaking. Then, as you said Przemyslaw, POOF!
    I'd really rather use GSIF, as you suggested, because I just invested a hunk of $$$ into my m-audio card as the knowledgeable author of a large Giga library suggested.
    But I'd rather either mixdown in Sonar, OR Giga - not both! I mean, I can't do both anyways, without using rewire, and that requires ridiculous bussing tricks because of the MONO OUTPUTS! I really don't want to have to rewire with Giga unless they give me stereo outputs and proper sample rates. <g>

YES, YOU CAN mixdown with Giga "out of the box" with little problem - with the default config on everything and no plugins. But do please tell me HOW MANY PRODUCERS WILL MIX FULL ALBUMS USING ONLY THE 4 FX INCLUDED IN GIGA? What good are 64+ channels if you can't do any aux/inserts without crashing??? Giga is supposed to work with 3rd party VST, but many aren't compatible. I finally did get the Crunchessor plugin to work in Giga, but with a severe latency problem - and no compensation setting in Giga?

I simply want to do some side-chain compression. And I can't even use GigaPulse on any other channels unless I upgrade to the Orchestra version!!! AAAHHH! I LOVE GigaStudio, but ho hum... so many issues. I'll have to go back to my previous setup to get this album done, then I pray that in about 6 months, God willing, some of these issues will be fixed.

Sorry for the long post, I just wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar, OR IS IT JUST ME?

Thanks.

This is bad. I don't have many of the issues you have, but regarding the 4 fx included in Gs3...Gs3 supports vst plugins, so if you have some of them you can specify the Vst plugins folder in Gs3 and scan it ( note: no Vst'is).

Also what is maybe of some interest...you have this problem with the version
    3.04. I work with 3.03 and as stated before in another thread I only had this Poof in one project the others are fine.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Go Back to forum