• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Keyboard Magazine Article about GPO & Notation

Share/Bookmark

Keyboard Magazine Article about GPO & Notation

Keyboard Magazine has a new look. The magazine has been totally revamped and redesigned. In the new Keyboard there is a "How To" Section which provides tech tutorials.

In this inaugaral "How To" section is a two-page feature titled "Have Your Own Orchestra-in-Residence. Turning your orchestral scores into demos with Garritan Personal Orchestra." The author Peter Kirn wrote a fantastic guide on how to use GPO with notation programs.

The article starts out by stating "Having a great-sounding virtual orchestra automatically realize a computer notation score is the dream of ant computer-based composer or arranger...We've taken the popular Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) and paired it withnotation applications." The author writes about ensemble building "Assemble Your Ensemble", then there's a section on "Know Your Controllers" which discusses the various MIDI controls used in GPO. There's a section on "Configuring Your Software" which shows how to set up GPO with notation software and how to record it to audio ussing GPO Studio. There some screenshots of GPO Studio, the GPO Kontakt Player and notation programs.

I urge all GPO users to pick up a copy of the new Keyboard and check out the new redesign.

It is an honor to be featured in the new and improved Keyboard magazine. We have invested a great deal of time and effort in getting sample libraries to work with notation programs and it is gratifying to get industry recognition. Hats off to JeffHurchalla, David and Seb from Plogue, Tom Hopkins, Don Williams and others that helped make samples and notation work better together.

Gary Garritan

Re: New Keyboard Magazine Features GPO

I'm surprised there's no mention of Overture, since it's so tightly integrated with GPO...
    - robjohn

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    I'm surprised there's no mention of Overture, since it's so tightly integrated with GPO...
    - robjohn
    Actually there is mention of Overture.

I'll have to pick this up. I wonder if Barnes and Noble sells Keyboard magazine? Which issue is this exactly? I guess I could thumb through it (if I find one), but you know me, ol' lazy bones Burrell.

I was able to browse through this magazine online with my university's fancy online database stuff, but the latest issue of "Keyboard" they have is Jan 2005. Since I couldn't find any mention of GPO in there, I'm guessing this article is in the Feb 2005 issue?

Anyway, congratulations! I hope the article helps turn some new faces towards GPO!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We have invested a great deal of time and effort in getting sample libraries to work with notation programs and it is gratifying to get industry recognition. Hats off to JeffHurchalla, David and Seb from Plogue, Tom Hopkins, Don Williams and others that helped make samples and notation work better together.
    Gary Garritan
    Everytime I open SE, put a note on the page and hear it play back, I'm thankful for that investment. And I'm convinced that, long term, this is the road to the general public: beautiful, life-like sounds accessed through the common sense interface of an easy-to-use notation program.

Good stuff!

Having GPO work with Notation programs was a HUGE (and totally overjoyous) surprise for me. I didn't realize it did that until a few months after I bought it. Then it took another couple of months for me to discover this wonderful forum! If only I had really taken the time to look over all the Garritan.com site. I would have seen that sooner.

Even though I have some issues with Finale's slowness in OS X, I love that it works well with GPO Studio. It is the best sketch pad a guy could ask for!
    Overture SE had some wierd quirks when I first used it, (like one of the pull down toolbar menus just decided to stay down permanently and hides some of the other tools). I tried to re-install it, but still the same.) I am more used to Finale anyway. But Overture seems like a NICE program - and after reading Joseph's tutorials, makes me want to try it again.

Thanks and Kudos to everyone who had a hand in making that happen!!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Jerry,

I remember ready that was Gary's trying to work it out, that the new version of Overture SE "4" would be included with one of the new Garritan products. I hope that's true. I'd like to give that a try also.
    On a new powerbook.

Jeff

Re: Keyboard Magazine Article about GPO & Notation

Keyboard has made this article public and I thought you would enjoy reading it:

Have Your Own Orchestra-in-Residence

By Peter Kirn | February 2005

Turning your orchestral scores into demos with Garritan Personal Orchestra.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp...&storycode=164

Re: Keyboard Magazine Article about GPO & Notation

Gary,

Thanks for telling us about the online article. I looked all over the place for the actual magazine, but, alas, the shops in southeastern Ohio don't seem to crazy about music magazines. (Except Rolling Stone!)

The article is great. I've got to tell ya, the fact that GPO plays with notation programs was a huge surprise to the people at the OMEA Convention last week.

Talk to you soon,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum