• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: stereotypes: dumb conservatives

Share/Bookmark

stereotypes: dumb conservatives

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    the stereotype of the dumb bible thumping southern conservative couldn't be more reinforced after this story aired today: ( source abc atlanta)
    "A BILL INVOLVING EVOLUTION IN georgia SCHOOLS IS EXPECTED TO BE INTRODUCED TODAY.
    the bill by REPUBLICAN BEN BRIDGES WOULD BAN bar teachers from teaching evolution IN THE CLASSROOM.
    BRIDGES SAYS UNTIL EDUCATORS CAN PROVE the theory of EVOLUTION, IT SHOULD BE LEFT OUT of text books
    his PROPOSAL follows A JUDGE'S order TO HAVE DISCLAIMERS ABOUT EVOLUTION REMOVED FROM SCIENCE TEXTBOOKS IN COBB."

this is the sort of stuff liberals go crazy about. Is this guy for real ? or is he pandering to idiots?

Re: stereotypes: dumb conservatives

If that's true then that's going too far.

I personally don't believe in evolution, but I would rather see educators teach both evolution and creation (or "intelligent design"), then the students can make an educated decision as to which one is more likely.

Rob

Georgia is a strange place. (I live there.) Atlanta is a city of 3 million, and largely progressive. Most of the rest of the state is very much oriented differently. (The governor was elected on a ticket of wanting to fly the Confederate flag over the capital.)

The controversy about the stickers on science books was in Cobb County, which is adjacent to Atlanta. One person started a petition to demand that the stickers be put on the books, and went from church to church to gather signatures. The school board caved in immediately and many people are still angry. Fortunately, the GA supreme court went by the law and common sense. The school board may appeal, but my sense is that their heart isn't in it--they want to get re-elected, and thus seem to represent the people who signed the petitions, but they also know that they're wrong and would lose. (The woman who distributed the petitions testified in court about the reasons for wanting the stickers, admitting that she wanted other accounts of the earth's history taught in science classes, including religious beliefs--"creationism.")

Quote Originally Posted by robh

I personally don't believe in evolution, but I would rather see educators teach both evolution and creation (or "intelligent design"), then the students can make an educated decision as to which one is more likely.

Rob
    I'm with Rob on this one. I have a hard time believing anything really and am always teetering to and fro with my beliefs, but I thank God for the fact that the decision I make is largely left in my hands. I guess we don't want our children thinking for themselves?

Rob
    I think it's funny that creation had to be given a more "scientific" name in order to make it sound legitimate. It's still creation, no matter how you slice it, it has no scientific basis whatsoever, is indeed religious and, as such, does not belong in schools or anywhere near a government institution.

If you want creationism taught, teach in private religious schools and send your kids there. There's absolutely no reason why tax dollars should go to teach our children something that isn't even remotely scientific.

Evolution may be a theory, but theories aren't formed out of whole cloth. They come from close scrutiny and study that leads to the most likely scenario. There may be a few flaws in the theory, but until science comes along to prove it wrong, it's the best one we've got.

Creation is a fantasy based on superstition and faith.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    That is an unscientific statement however. Here's why:

I'm sure all musicians would agree that creativity is a part of their impulse and or process. If you also agree with Darwin's model of things issuing forth from like things (species) than you have to maintain that principle and ask: where did creativity issue from originally (i.e. what is the origin of the species we call creativity?) The word species is applied to different forms of counterpoint, so it's not limited to animate beings.

So who or what fathered creativity? If scenic nature is so brimming with beauty as to compel artists to paint it in their own act of creativity, can the subject they paint be completely void of creativity in it's history? Something a thousand times more beautiful and impressive than what the artist captures on his little canvas has no creative author, but he is so very talented and creative? Who painted the mountain the painter paints?

Darwin's own theory (if believed) necessitates the acceptance of an original species or starting point which then evolves. Where or who is the starting point for thought, love, pain, joy, music etc? If they evolved, then from where? Or do apes evolve and these things remain stagnant?

Don't we write songs about our love "growing"? When was it born?

My ultimate point is that the question of creation need not be a religious one but a scientific one. I suppose the big cosmic question is: Who's your Daddy?

Dave Connor

yeah i have thought of very similar things, how does creativity and art fit into evolution?

Why and how is art fundamental to our survival?

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    I think it's funny that creation had to be given a more "scientific" name in order to make it sound legitimate. It's still creation, no matter how you slice it, it has no scientific basis whatsoever, is indeed religious and, as such, does not belong in schools or anywhere near a government institution.

If you want creationism taught, teach in private religious schools and send your kids there. There's absolutely no reason why tax dollars should go to teach our children something that isn't even remotely scientific.

Evolution may be a theory, but theories aren't formed out of whole cloth. They come from close scrutiny and study that leads to the most likely scenario. There may be a few flaws in the theory, but until science comes along to prove it wrong, it's the best one we've got.

You obviously haven't read what I've read on the matter. Or you have and still think its rubbish. Fair enough. But at least you have (hopefully) made an educated decision. Students with "Evolution only" don't get to make that choice now, because evolution is all they hear.

Rob

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/wic.html

Check that out, didn't know there were different schools of thought in creationism. Some are more backwards and ridiculous than others.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

You obviously haven't read what I've read on the matter. Or you have and still think its rubbish. Fair enough. But at least you have (hopefully) made an educated decision. Students with "Evolution only" don't get to make that choice now, because evolution is all they hear.

Rob
    Absolutely untrue. If their parents believe in it, then they're surely teaching them creationism. It's not often that a Christian parent doesn't pass on his beliefs to his child. And that's where creationism SHOULD be taught. In the home. And in Sunday School. Because it's based on faith, not on science. Nor is it based on history. So the social studies aspect is out, too.

The only time you should find it in school is if they're teaching religious studies from a historical and cultural point of view -- and ALL faiths should be included.

If you're a creationist and your kid comes home and says, "Hey, dad, guess what they taught us in school," it looks like you'll have to do your job as a parent and explain that you have different beliefs based on your faith. When they question why you believe in something that has no basis in rational fact, then it's up to you to explain that, not the school.

And there's absolutely no reason for children who don't have Christian backgrounds to be taught creationism other than the cultural/historical aspect I mention above.

Should we also be teaching them DC comics as if the Origin of Superman is based on science or history?

School is a place for education. Science is not exact, but it comes darn close -- which is why we have medicines, space exploration, etc. As such, Evolution -- a sound scientific theory based on intense study of the universe -- should be taught.

My question is this: when will Christians realize that the Bible is SYMBOLIC, not literal?
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast