• Register
  • Help

Topic: Competition rules

Share/Bookmark

Competition rules

Congratulations for the winners.

It is a great idea to have this competition.

BUT!!!
    A professional competition should be held without revealing the names of the contestants like everywhere else in the world !!! I have been member of juries in europe many times.

This is real professional and fair for all composers and for the jury.
    A professional competiton with codes for example can prevent that people know each other from the forum or from privacy :-) ***

Best Regards,

Sam Goldsmith

Re: Competition rules

Quote Originally Posted by samgoldsmith

BUT!!!
    A professional competition should be held without revealing the names of the contestants like everywhere else in the world !!! I have been member of juries in europe many times.

A professional competiton with codes for example can prevent that people know each other from the forum or from privacy :-) ***

Best Regards,

Sam Goldsmith
    I don't see point with that in this case. This is not a "normal" composing contest held by some art foundation. It's about using this wonderful tool for creating great music. They only revealed names of the winners and I think it's the correct way to do it.

If Hans Zimmer participated this contest and didn't make it to the top, his name is not there and there's nothing to be ashamed of for him.

-Mikko

The names of the contestants were kept a secret from the judges, until of course the winners were decided . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by samgoldsmith

BUT!!!

Best Regards,

Sam Goldsmith
    This statement is not correct. I have been member of many juries in International competition, among them the " Concours International de Geneve. It usual that the jury does not know the name of the playing canditates (sometime playing behind a curtain), or of course not knowing the name of the composer while judjing a work. But most of the time there is a catalogue which citates all names of participants. After a competition there is always usual that the paticipation is not secret.

Smile Re: Competition rules

Gary told me that the judges only knew the number assigned to each piece.
    So Sam, it was as you wished.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Sam,

All entries were coded and assigned a number before going to the judges. The ten judges had no idea of who the submitter was nor the name of the work. The judging was done totally blind.

Hope this answers your question.

Gary Garritan

I understood Sam's opinion in different way.
    It was obviously clear that judgement was done blind, no names revealed during that. What was I thinking...

-Mikko

Gary told me that the judges only knew the number assigned to each piece.
    So Sam, it was as you wished.
    Dang, Ken-P I ain't never even seen you post on this forum....ever. Congratulations on your win, though! I've heard your music before and I thought it was da bomb! I can't believe those judges put me in the same league as YOU! Congrats!

Ken-P! Hey it's nice to see you at this forum..I'm a friend of Aaron Sapps, and between what I've heard about you and what I've HEARD...I Love your music! You should post here more often..oh and congrats!

Go Back to forum