• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommend Portable Midi Controller w/Aftertouch?

Share/Bookmark

Recommend Portable Midi Controller w/Aftertouch?

Does anyone here know if any of the current portable keyboard controllers (like Edirol's PCR series, M-Audio O2 and Oxygen, Evolution, etc.) have aftertouch? (or even channel pressure for that matter?) I've read all the manuals and literature for most of these, but have not seen this come up in any of the specs.

Looking for a 27-32 key portable solution, but would prefer this feature if it is available.

Regards,

David

Re: Recommend Portable Midi Controller w/Aftertouch?

The Novation Remote 25 is definitely the best midi keyboard with aftertouch on the market now in my opinion. I have the 61 key version as my master midi keyboard, and have never had a better one. The key action on the Evolution, and others you mentioned feel too light and cheap, the Novation is semi weighted, vel sensitive and has after touch unlike the others. Check out the features at this link. One of my fav features is the expression touch pad...it costs a bit more than the others, but you get what you pay for. Heres the link.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/701715/

Liam

the Korg Kontrol 49 may be worthy of a look

Thanks guys. The Novation looks like a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by moosethree
    the Korg Kontrol 49 may be worthy of a look
    Does the Korg have aftertouch then? I'll look into that one.

David

The Korg Kontrol49 doesn't seem to have aftertouch. (It has a lot of other nice features, including 16 pressure-sensitive pads).

FWIW, aftertouch and channel pressure are the same thing (they use the same MIDI message). Poly pressure (individual pressure sensor per key) may be what you're thinking of, but very very few controllers ever included that feature.

Good hunting,

Jim

Talking Re: Recommend Portable Midi Controller w/Aftertouch?

Apart from Novation, it has been tough to find a modern MIDI keyboard with aftertouch.
    Of the new controllers announced at NAMM, only Novation, E-Mu and CME seem to provide aftertouch. (I mean 'real' aftertouch, not via the mod wheel which is cheating. )

I don't think E-Mu is any good for you, since their announced keyboard has 49 keys.

But the new Chinese company CME is intriguing. It has a whole range of models from 25 keys right up to 88 hammer keys. Every one of those has aftertouch.
    I have heard a rumour the keybed in the 88 key CME board is exactly the same one as in M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88!
    Anyway, the CME machines are cheap as chips. As such, I am too scared to buy one and test out their build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam
    The Novation Remote 25 is definitely the best midi keyboard with aftertouch on the market now in my opinion.
    I can only second that. The Remote 25 has many assignable controllers, comes with a lot of pre-programmed presets for Cubase, Logic and many software synths, and with the Novation Bass Station as au/vst plug-in. As I’m abroad, I use the two-octave version with my power book, and I am very satisfied so far.

Hey meroveus,

You wouldn't happen to have any links to that Chinese company CME or their products, would you?

You've got my curiosity going.

Thanks,

JB

Semper,
    Try this link......

http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=346

Looks interesting.....Jim

if you plan on using Ableton Live, Reaktor, the Korg Wavestation, Xphrase, Camel Audio CA5000 or other soft synths with vector x-y controls, as well as aftertouch......the Remote 61 is your best bet......C. M. E. emailed me and said they were going to produce a version with x-y controller...in the unknown future.

Go Back to forum