• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why does Ashlee Simpson lip sync?

Share/Bookmark

Why does Ashlee Simpson lip sync?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    At first I thought it was because she couldn't sing worth crap. But I saw her show on TV and she was singing in the studio.. not recording, just chilling and singing while a guy strummed an acoustic guitar. And she sounded really good.

So WHY does she lip sync at her public performances? Lack of courage to sing in front of all those people? I don't get it...
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Why does Ashlee Simpson lip sync?

She sang at one of the Bowl games. She sounded terrible - but at least she wasn't lip syncing. She did have some support vocals mixed behind her, but it was mixed so you could hear what she was singing live. I actually have some respect for her for coming back and putting herself out there.

-JF

Delivering a solid vocal performance consistently is almost humanly impossible. (This is why I have such respect for great vocalists). The only two vocalists that I have seen nail everything - every time live are Barbara Streisand and Jon Anderson.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I'd hit it .

(actually I would just have a tape of me hitting it and when it was premature I would blame it on my drummer)

I think it may be more than an talent issue. I mean, I knew one of my theory professors from school who was told becuase of time contraints on a 'live' show had to have the orchestra synch becuase the producers were so freaked out over air time and they didn't want the 'artists' to screw it up.

Weird but true

Sincerely,

Jonathan

becuase she sucks and has zero talent

Whether she has talent or not, the act of blaming her band on SNL was very crappy in my book.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Delivering a solid vocal performance consistently is almost humanly impossible.
    Thousands of classical and broadway singers do it every day.

The problem is not that it's impossible to sing consistently; the problem is that it is difficult to sing consistently with the deliberately unhealthy technique that most rock music demands. There are some rare singers that have the naturally ironclad voice for that kind of stuff, and Ashlee Simpson clearly isn't one of them. She is a victim of trying a little too hard to sound "rock"...combine her terrible technique with her well-publicized issues with acid reflux, and she's probably grappling with the beginnings of permanent vocal damage.

Actually, in her defense -- although I don't particularly like her or her music -- I saw a "behind the scenes" segment on the news PRIOR to the SNL incident and as Simpson rehearsed in the background, Lorne Michaels was saying Ashlee's upset because she really bad acid reflux -- which apparently screws up your voice.

He had no idea at the time that the lip syncing incident was about to happen...
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum