• Register
  • Help

Topic: And now for something completely different...

Share/Bookmark

And now for something completely different...

Well, different from most of the music posted here…

This is my Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn and Bassoon No. 1 again. When I posted the first movement I seemed to get quite a good response while the rest didn’t stir a ripple. I went back in and played with the mix a little and made a few other minor changes. I also combined them up into one piece so you can hear how it’s supposed to sound – one piece in 3 movements, not three separate pieces. And don’t worry, the third movement picks up after a bit...

Anyway, I’m very interested in comments, good or bad.

Old version - Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn and Bassoon No. 1 (for comparison)

---Edit 1-27--
    OK, more changes. The biggest change is in the reverb – the old file was played as if in a very small recital hall –nice intimate concert. The new one is in a big concert hall. A few other changes, mostly in dynamics and balance – still a lot of work needs to be done on that. Still not 100% happy with ending – that my change also.

Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn & Bassoon No. 1

Any comments? Is it better?
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 01-27-2005 at 08:33 PM. Reason: New, Improved version 1-27
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: And now for something completely different...

This is something I would expect to hear in suspense thrillers or sci-fi series like the Twilight Zone. I mean this in the utmost of compliments! It never fails to amaze my how you can arrange such rhythmic textures. It pulls me in so many directions emotionally. Pretty cool ...
    Styxx

Re: And now for something completely different...

Thanks Styxx. Your statement about rhythmic textures means a lot coming from a drummer. I think you might be referring to the second movement were I was trying to get a frantic, kinetic feeling. Anyway, I’m glad you liked it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: And now for something completely different...

Sorry for bringing this up again, had to make a few small changes and corrections -
    -- Edit 1-27 --
    OK, more changes. The biggest change is in the reverb – the old file was played as if in a very small recital hall –nice intimate concert. The new one is in a big concert hall. A few other changes, mostly in dynamics and balance – still a lot of work needs to be done on that. Still not 100% happy with ending – that my change also.

Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn & Bassoon

Any comments? Is it better?
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 01-27-2005 at 08:32 PM. Reason: New Improved version
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum