• Register
  • Help

Topic: good sound card

Share/Bookmark

good sound card

hey,

im pretty new to this whole scene, and would value any advice from the good people who lurk around the gerrtian forums.

im thinking of buying a new sound card, is there any model i shoud look out for in the 'under 300 euro' range?
    ""A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most attention, a woman should be either nude, or wearing something as expensive as getting her nude is going to be." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Re: good sound card

Quote Originally Posted by banquo
    hey,

im pretty new to this whole scene, and would value any advice from the good people who lurk around the gerrtian forums.

im thinking of buying a new sound card, is there any model i shoud look out for in the 'under 300 euro' range?
    I am just passing through but hey I'll answer this. A sound card is only as good as your A/D converters, your converters are only as good as the sound cards drivers. Most popular A/D Converters is Digi designs protools. Of course there ae others. in your price rang I would look at something like Emu 1212M , Deltas, and other cards.
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards...ome_studio.htm
    check out that guys page for starters.
    hope it helps.
    back to music.

Audiophile 2496 keeps a lot of people happy
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

I use the EMU0404, and I've been happy with it so far. A note, though - if you decide to buy the 0404, you may want to buy EMU's Proteux X - for only about $50 more, you get a software synth/sampler with some sounds that lots of people really like AND the EMU0404 card.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero
    Audiophile 2496 keeps a lot of people happy
    Also gives you the option of using Gigastudio. EMU doesn't offer GSIF drivers.

echo make some fairly good cards as well.

I think this depends on, what you want to do with the soundcard...

I, for example, prefer soundcards with lots of digital inputs|outputs and good routing possibilities - as a kind of future investment (digital is digital even in ten years, I think) and also soundcards which can produce sound on their own - like dsp-cards with synths or onboard-ram and a sampler (have an old EWS64 (a little troublesome isa-card) featuring 64MB onboard-ram and 2 spdif-out = cheap 20 Euro - 64 voice 64 MB sampler with 4 channel digital output (and you could put a yamaha-GM|GX-daughterboard in it, too or cascading two of that cards giving you 128MB Sampleram and 128 voices, 64 additional GM-Voices and 8 digital outs...)). But that may not be something you want to do with your soundcard or to your computer...

But for a starter in computer-based music (well i started a year ago exactly with dsp-cards ), they may be to complicated - and - if not bought second-hand - cost much more than 300 euro (but less then 300 if used. I payed 200 for a used korg oasys and 250 for a used creamware pulsar (and 20 for that old EWS))

I also think, that the emu cards could be a nice investment. Especially if it should be possible to upgrade the 1212m later with that I/O-Box for their bigger cards 1820 and 1820m. This Box holds 2 Mic-Preamps which they say are of a good not too cheap quality and also some analog I/O.
    And that card even has some low-to-medium-quality dsp-effects and good digital filters in it, I read somewhere.
    You could also buy that emulator|proteus x sampler later for it, if you want to do sampling or using samples (But thats a soft-sampler so it may compete with GPO for processor power)

Go Back to forum