• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why the heck is the KONTAKT interface still so lousy?

Share/Bookmark

Angry Why the heck is the KONTAKT interface still so lousy?

It's really time NI made the Kontakt interface pleasant to use as well as just cool to look at. The features in Kontakt are unbeatable, but the user friendliness needs serious improvement. I use Kontakt every day, and the handling is not pleasant. The patch selection is awful - too small to read, too tiny to select easily with the mouse. Why does it seem that this has been left unchanged in the update?

I sometimes think that the Kontakt GUI designer never had to complete a music project in his/her life. Switching between patches regularly distracts me from the original creative impulse, and I sometimes despair and go back to exs24 because of frustration with Kontakt. Just compare Kontakt with exs, Atmosphere, Halion, Gigastudio, even FM7 (or ANY other NI product) -they are all much friendlier and more comfortable to handle.

Kontakt 2 apparently introduces some Key-shortcuts, such as CTRL + C, CTRL + V, CTRL + X.......useful, but it doesn't represent a fundamental improvement in comfort and handling. It only introduces basic file handling functions which have been a part of Windows and Mac functionality for years!

Imagine if Windows or Mac OS selection fields were as tiny as the Kontakt/Kompakt patch names, and as fiddly to select with the mouse! There would be a wave of user complaint, and an update within weeks. Why should we accept a lousy interface just for the sake of an otherwise excellent product?

Fellow musicians, we need to make NI aware of this issue! Those of you who use EWQLSO know how a few voices of protest about the weaknesses of documentation brought a response from John Philpit and Doug Rogers, and now we have a great new manual :-). Kontakt is just as important a tool, and deserves our input too.

NI, please respond!!

Nigel

Re: Why the heck is the KONTAKT interface still so lousy?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Imagine if Windows or Mac OS selection fields were as tiny as the Kontakt/Kompakt patch names, and as fiddly to select with the mouse!
    Nigel
    If ths is a petiton, I just signed my name. The crappy part is that so many VSTi are using Kompakt which is quite Kompakt with the type font.

GET BIGGER FOLKS!!! BIG BUTTONS. BIG SLIDERS. USE UP THE WHOLE COMPUTER SCREEN!

allow for customization of the GUI. Let us omit parts of the GUI or slide them here or there. Connect. Disconnect. Sequencers allow for this.

ONE step away from a great product. And the step you have taken seems the most obvious!!!!!!

Post Re: Why the heck is the KONTAKT interface still so lousy?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    If ths is a petiton, I just signed my name. ONE step away from a great product. And the step you have taken seems the most obvious!!!!!!
    Marty- and anyone else who cares about the Kontakt/Kompakt interface- there's a Poll and a thread for user improvement suggestions at Sonik Matter:

Poll:
    http://community.sonikmatter.com/for...howtopic=21620

Suggestions thread:
    http://community.sonikmatter.com/for...howtopic=21619

On a positive note: my dealings with NI for sales, support, troubleshooting etc. have led me to believe that they are very much an innovative, user-oriented company. That's why we should give them our feedback - I'm sure it will bring benefits for everybody.

best

Nigel

Instead of pressing for a "fix", I recommend that users request various Kontakt skins so that users can pick between various GUIs.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

I agree. The Kontakt gui is nothing but clicking and scrolling ad nauseum.

Arrow Re: Why the heck is the KONTAKT interface still so lousy?

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    The tiny text in the popup windows always has me accidently selecting save instead of load. I was sure they'd have fixed this in Kontakt 2.0 but I guess not. Some keyboard shortcuts would help (Command S to Save, Command L to load for example).

I don't think the NI guys look on this list, otherwise they've have fixed all of these problems already. I haven't had good luck writing them directly either. They kindly responded but TOTALLY missed the points.

Lost in translation? Or teutonic stuborness?
    Hey Synergy

I live in germany, and I sometimes talk to the NI guys in Berlin on the 'phone. I never encountered any "Teutonic stubborness", only helpfulness -so please be careful with any racial stereotyping, ok :-) ?

IMO all the energy goes into making Kontakt a cool product, but the designers never spend more than 2 minutes a day selecting patches, which is what I detest about the Kontakt/Kompakt GUI. The Updates have so far allowed you to select between 3 window sizes- whoopee!- and resize the font in the Browser! -but not the menu Fonts.

I will keep pressing this issue and i have no doubt that the teams of Gnomes in NI's secret underground development bunker..... will one day get the message. if we all pull together, maybe sooner rather than later.

If you would like to add your wishes to the thread at Sonik matter (see above), I'll call them in a week or so, and try and get our feedback to the people who can do something about it.

Kontakt is way too cool to be no fun to use, right;-)?

Nigel

Arrow Re: Why the heck is the KONTAKT interface still so lousy?

ok, I've been in touch with NI, and this is the reply (I'm translating from the german):

"Thank you for the suggestions, which have been passed on to the development team. Your wishes are shared by many. It would certainly make Kontakt easier to use if the display could be made more visible. Unfortunately, the "small" changes are sometimes the ones which are more tricky to implement. Please be patient; we will try in time to integrate many of our users' requests."
    ----------------------------------
    So NI are aware of this issue. Let's see if Kontakt 2 helps.

I've collected your opinions and passed them all on, too. Wes, I think your "skins" idea is excellent.

Thank you all for your input.

Nigel

Thumbs up Re: Why the heck is the KONTAKT interface still so lousy?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    ok, I've been in touch with NI, and this is the reply (I'm translating from the german):

"Thank you for the suggestions, which have been passed on to the development team. Your wishes are shared by many. It would certainly make Kontakt easier to use if the display could be made more visible. Unfortunately, the "small" changes are sometimes the ones which are more tricky to implement. Please be patient; we will try in time to integrate many of our users' requests."
    ----------------------------------
    So NI are aware of this issue. Let's see if Kontakt 2 helps.

I've collected your opinions and passed them all on, too. Wes, I think your "skins" idea is excellent.

Thank you all for your input.

Nigel
    Thanks for making the effort Nigel..very cool..Rich

Go Back to forum