• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Was NAMM a Bust?

Share/Bookmark

Was NAMM a Bust?

I spent hours on the floor -- my feet are killing me to prove it -- but I didn't see anything revolutionary to knock my socks off.

Sony has some new plug-ins that are pretty cool. The guy demoed pop, click and noise reduction plugs that were a bit of a surprise in their ease of use. Played us a hiss filled, crackling voiceover that was de-hissed and de-crackled with just the touch of a button -- and no weird audio artifacts as a result. It was pretty remarkable.

I missed Gary Garritan both times I stopped by his booth. Too bad. But if you take a look at the new solo "morphing" technology he's come up with (check his forum), it's pretty friggin' amazing.

Sat in on a great demo of Melodyne and some new "Liquid" samples (Sax and Bass) using the Celemony technology. I've used Melodyne for awhile -- only sparingly -- but did not realize the full potential of the app until that demo. The ability to change pitch, tempo, length, individual notes of voice and solo instruments SEAMLESSLY is... I'll say it again... amazing. You should have seen the jaws drop.

The Liquid plugins (pardon me if I get this wrong, the place was a madhouse) seem to be actual solo sax and basslines playing a variety of melodies that you can either use as is or, again, SEAMLESSLY manipulate to create your own melodies. The guy took a sax line and completely changed the melody as we listened and it did not sound even slightly artificial. In fact it was the most realistic sax I've ever heard -- maybe because rather than play it on the keyboard you're merely using your mouse to change the notes of an actual live recording. And, of course, tempo, etc. can also be changed.

Other than these things I did not see anything that thrilled me. I'm sure I'm missed a bunch of stuff and others can report their findings.

Was NAMM a bust? I'll let you know when my feet stop hurting.

P.S. I guess my feet must've hurt TOO much. I forgot all about Kontakt 2! Looks very sweet.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Re: Was NAMM a Bust?

Rob,

Thanks for the insight into the current Melodyne. In a strange way it's not too dissimilar to part of the synful concept when you describe the way the saxaphone was used. Prestored phrases with all the nuances the players use...link them together and pitch them to the melody....like leggo.

Is this the way to do vocals for non singers? Talk it in, pitch/time correct and then pitch to melody? Hmmmmm

Pity it's always been so damn expensive!!!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    I spent hours on the floor -- my feet are killing me to prove it -- but I didn't see anything revolutionary to knock my socks off.
    I dunno, you just mentioned four thing!! That's something at least.

How are the notes in the Liquid instruments displayed? Is there something like a midi piano roll? Or staffs with notes?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    the Celemony technology.
    That word really freaks me out...like some perverse cross between celibate and matrimony. (shiver).

I didn't see much that impressed me. The Celemony Liquid instrument plugins are interesting but sax and bass are of little use to me.

The Digidesign booth was packed and I got some great plug-in demo's there. Ivory and Miroslav Philharmonik looked good. I didn't get a price though.

I was expecting to see a demo of Altiverb 5 but couldn't find it. I ended up spending ten minutes on the ICON playing with TL Space and I will probably buy that. Also Mcdsp Channel G caught my interest.

Was it just me or was NAMM super noisy this year? I almost felt like I needed to wear earplugs!

Celemony sounds like a Japanese ceremony.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    That word really freaks me out...like some perverse cross between celibate and matrimony. (shiver).
    I thought that was websters definition of marriage

NAMM was a complete bust not only this year, but last year too...

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Celemony sounds like a Japanese ceremony.

-JF
    okay I shouldn't have laughed at that but it was clever!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast