• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about "strum guitar" library, please

Share/Bookmark

Question Question about "strum guitar" library, please

I was wondering, is there's a sample library out there that has "strummed guitar" samples... which will allow the composer to alter the tempo at which the guitar is strummed?

For example, instead of just loading a "Strummed Twelve String Guitar" sample from a guitar library, and having it play at 110bpm... what if the song required the same sample, but it had to be "strummed" at 70bpm or 80bpm... ya'll get the idea, right?

I have a few guitar sample libraries (Pure Guitars, Hans Zimmer, etc.) which have fairly nice strumming guitar samples on them. However, they are limited to playback at a "specific tempo"... and, any other tempos, cannot be used with these samples.

They do allow the composer to "manually" create his/her own guitar strumming patterns with "up and down" strumming samples... but I've never really been able to capture the true strumming guitar feel, when I have tried to record it in that manner.

If there's a "strummed guitar" sample library out there that will allow tempo changes... I think I'll have to consider purchasing it. I appreciate any help that ya'll can give me. Thank you.... Gary

Re: Question about "strum guitar" library, please

Musiclab's Realguitar and Steinberg's virtual guitarist should fit the bill! I believe that RealGuitar is superior as the results can be modified to suit your requirements/taste.

Frank

Yeah, these are two you should look at. I think that, althought Realguitar is more flexible, my impression is that Virtual Guitarist is more realistic sounding.

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Musiclab's Realguitar and Steinberg's virtual guitarist should fit the bill! I believe that RealGuitar is superior as the results can be modified to suit your requirements/taste.

Frank
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I guess you could always try time-stretching to adjust the tempo, not sure how well that would work with strummed chords, tho.

Another way to go is to use a single-note multisampled guitar and do the strumming with a hardware midi controller like the Yamaha EZ Guitars:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...P%253D,00.html

or the Charlie Lab Digitar:

www.pro-music-news.com/html/04/e91114ch.htm

As a non-guitar player I’ve looked into all kinds of software/sampling solutions and I’m more and more leaning towards using an actual (gulp ) guitar. I can’t play guitar to save my life but I figure if I know what the chord is I can always find the fingering in some chord chart.

If I break down the guitar ”performance” into small parts (like one chord at a time ) I can always assemble the pieces in the sequencer. No real skill required as I wouldn’t have to fiddle about with changing finger settings on the fly and I’m pretty sure it will sound more convincing than any software/sampling solution (well, come to think of it, this would actually be a sampling solution, only I would be providing the samples myself ).

Who knows, somewhere along the way I might even learn how to play guitar.

/Yoss

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

One of the oldest ones out there, Acoustic Essentials, has three different "speeds" of strum. I still find that library useful, and it's quite reasonably priced.

Wink Re: Question about "strum guitar" library, please

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

I am going to check into each recommendation. I really appreciate the assistance..... Gary

I second the recommendation for the Acoustic Essentials library - their strummed patches are surprisingly effective.

I 2nd RealGuitar, only does acoustic though but beats everything else I've heard by several lengths.

Thumbs up Re: Question about "strum guitar" library, please

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    One of the oldest ones out there, Acoustic Essentials, has three different "speeds" of strum. I still find that library useful, and it's quite reasonably priced.
    Yes!

Go Back to forum