• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: BUSH DOCTRINE: SPREAD LIBERTY

Share/Bookmark

BUSH DOCTRINE: SPREAD LIBERTY

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    That's the headline in today's LA Times.

The fig leaf just fell off.

Bush Doctrine?
    Spread Liberty at the point of a gun!

Vote as a nation or perish (as if voting was the only thing
    that makes for Democracy.) Follow the US lead and
    "legally stack" your high court to steal the election.

Ignore nations that do not have the same type of liberty
    we strove for over the last 200 years (France), ally with
    monarchies that have rubber stanp parliments( Saudi
    Arabia) or resurgent authoritarian regimes (Russia).

Ignore poverty corruption and robbery in this hemosphere
    while rewarding corporate greeed and theft in this hemis-
    here by calling it a shift to private investment to "save"
    save social security.

Compassionately. after a major world disaste, pledge a
    magnanimous $25 million in relief while spending almost
    20 million a day at war -- then let private organizations
    raise the bulk of it and claim credit while spendin $40
    million for a bash to celebrate your "mandate" on re-
    election?

Do I need to list more????? OR am I preaching to the choir?

Re: BUSH DOCTRINE: SPREAD LIBERTY

For years they've been spreading their concept of "Liberty" so thick you could smell it across a pig farm...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    O.K. How about the ultimate goal of ending hunger and poverty in our world first? Or making alternative energy research a priority? Or finding a cure for AIDS and countless other diseases?

God help us all.

Ern
    Agreed.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by chmara
    Bush Doctrine?

. . . ally with
    monarchies that have rubber stanp parliments( Saudi
    Arabia) or resurgent authoritarian regimes (Russia).
    Yup. And we could add a lot more countries to this list, not the least of which is China. Makes a total mockery of the "spread freedom" doctrine. The powerful nations, the US is one, DO BUSINESS WHEREVER THERE IS MONEY TO BE MADE.

I don't blame them. If they did otherwise they would quickly lose top-dog status. THe "mister nice guy" stuff is image-making, propaganda, window-dressing---- call it what you will: designed to make the common taxpayers feel good about their wasted tax dollars, the increasing encroachment of the state on their freedoms, the needless deaths of their children invading foreign lands, their enormously dangerous national debt, etc., etc.

I guess your average working stiff has to have SOMETHING to believe in, even if it is a total crock.

JG

"It would be disastrous if self-righteous hubris led us into bloody and hopeless crusades, caused us to do terrible things that mock the values we are supposed to be fighting for, alienated us from an unappreciative world and possibly brought home more of the terrorism our neo-idealism is intended to suppress."
    "IF"???

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    That's the headline in today's LA Times.

The fig leaf just fell off.
    It's interesting how the Bush folks have decided to frame this quest for world domination. I wonder what Hitler's rhetoric was. Anyone know?

He did say this:

"I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord"

Sound like anyone we know?
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    It's interesting how the Bush folks have decided to frame this quest for world domination. I wonder what Hitler's rhetoric was. Anyone know?

He did say this:

"I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord"

Sound like anyone we know?
    You just can't help yourself, can you?

The Bush=Hitler argument remains not only inaccurate but offensive as well.

Your buddy Bush managed to reference the Koran BY NAME in his inaugural address, and since 9/11 has bent over backwards to reassure Muslims that he respects their faith. Who can forget his famously comic (and patently false) assertion that "Islam means peace?" (Stephen Colbert on the Daily Show has a recurring bit that pokes fun at this).
    On the other hand, Muslim leaders have never refrained from expressing EXACTLY how they feel about the Infidels. (Do you really need ANOTHER link to www.memri.org? It's not as if you'll bother to check it.)

You claim to be a writer, rob. Surely you can come up with a more original (not to mention less offensive and inaccurate) condemnation of your beloved president.

So all believers in Islam are violent?

OK, I'll be the one to do it:

The conflict between Western and Eastern cultures extends far back in history, long before Christianity and Islam came into existence--the basic conflict was over control of the Mediterannean Sea, and thus trade routes. The West finally won in the 18th and early 19th century, largely through trade practices after the Eastern economy was broken by overextending its resources, much like Rome had earlier, and because of the success of Britain in forcibly taking over India and the rest of the East. To frame the current conflict in terms of Muslims hating everyone else is just a way of saying that the East is in conflict with the West. The goal of both sides is money--the usual reason for war. The East is extremely poor, made so by Western policies. Yes, religion provides a unifying language to convey hatred, and believers will fight for it. Fundamentalism and hatred breed in poverty and fear.

Why is the East so poor? Anything to do with the British and US support of ditatorships? With a history of exploitation and tarriff impositions starting with the East India Trade Company? With their building of the opium trade in Afghanistan and India and their destruction of the Eastern textile economy? With the continued support of dictatorships like those in Saudi Arabia that sell oil at a price so low US companies can afford to ship it several thousand miles and still make enormous profits? Capitalism doesn't absolutely depend on exploiting the poor for labor, but it often has succeeded through this--in the US, in South America, in the East.

In other words, the East became part of the "third world" partly because of trade "policies" that were exactly the same as those later followed in South America, where fruit and rubber companies that are rarely mentioned in the news supported dictatorships that would ensure cheap labor and high profits. The West learned how to do this from Britain. In the East, now, US and British companies have a product that sells and that they can get cheap, and historically they haven't been squemish about slaughtering opponents and keeping the locals impoverished to keep things the same way.

Do you expect them to like us? History is a reality. Reality is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    So all believers in Islam are violent?
    Wow.

Who said THAT?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast