• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: who would buy Vitous lib still today if price were reasonable?

Share/Bookmark

who would buy Vitous lib still today if price were reasonable?

I would.

I'm just curious to know if I'm basically alone or not.

Thanks
    Luca

Re: who would buy Vitous lib still today if price were reasonable?

I'd be more apt to buy it if it didn't cost 2,000+ dollars. I just don't think its viable anymore at that price. I know others that feel the same way.

IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality announced today that the Vitous libraries are being repurposed into a Symphonik plugin based on the Sampletank 2.1 engine. It will include choirs and some unreleased stuff. Dave Kerzner disclosed this over at KVR this morning. IK and SR bought the library from Vitous, which probably didn't have much value left, as is.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

That library always was worth the money. It's like anything else. Was the pill that saved your life ten years ago less valuable than the different, more technologically modern pill that saves your life today?

Miroslav did some remarkable things. I have many, many pieces which feature Miroslav libraries which are still in production in theatres. I have re-orchestrated many of them as the years have gone by. Some of the Miroslav material, I have replaced with more technologically modern library materials successfully. Other parts, I have chosen not to replace because I can't see the value in it.

The reason, I think, is that I'm a good musician, and I wouldn't have been content to release something that sounded bad, no matter what the tool. Whether that means I favored some types of writing over others, in order to make the parts sound good, the bottom line is that they did sound good. And in many cases it is difficult to come back in, even with presumably "better" libraries, and get the same feel.

I think it's great that someone has purchased the rights to the Miroslav material and seeks to reprogram it. Smart. I'll bet they do some great work, and wish them a lot of success.

I think the price quoted by Dave was about 1/4 of 2k.

So at that price it might be a good alternative for some getting their first library and maybe even a good addition to those looking to add on to their existing collection.

why not to continue to sell it "as-is" at a *very* low price?
    i think that the library largely paid itself and brought a lot of money to the producer.
    so, reprinting it in a budget format would mean a little investement and some more earned money.
    why not to apply this concept to akai libraries which are more than 4-5 years old or were "outdated" by a "2.0" version?

Wink Re: who would buy Vitous lib still today if price were reasonable?

Just my opinion.

In doing a lot of research on what library to buy recently I ranked the library's in order of quality vs. price. I think that anybody who plans to release this library in another format has to take into consideration the following. EWQLSO silver and GPO at $250-$300 are better sounding librarys to me than the Miraslov. Sure for its time it was the best. But in todays market it hardly even ranks with the lowest priced of the finer library's.

That being said. I do think that the woodwinds sound pretty good. The strings okay and the brass a little less than passable for today. With some good engineering I think these samples will sound fine, but never better than what they are.

Yes I'd like to have them maybe partly for nostalgia and party for background song arrangements where the modern trend of recording in a concert hall may not be the best for record arrangements ( probalby better for records is KH and Dan Dean libraries). But, when push comes to shove and there's money on the line and you have clients to please, you'd want the best, most realistic samples which unfortunately isn't this library anymore.

So for Miraslov. In order for me to buy it, it would have to be priced slightly below silver and GPO and slightly above the old roland library samples which I think go for $60 a section.

Like I said. Just my opinion.

Jose

Jose, a very valuable opinion. It's interesting to hear different people's takes on these sounds and contrasting them against what else is available.

Agree. I would only consider the purchase if the price were in the range you suggest. It'll be interesting to see how much more music can be gotten out of this library once it's revamped.

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    So for Miraslov. In order for me to buy it, it would have to be priced slightly below silver and GPO and slightly above the old roland library samples which I think go for $60 a section.

Like I said. Just my opinion.

Jose

The price announced is $499 but remember you’re not just getting the Miroslav Vitous samples (which includes some previously unreleased material), you’re also getting Sonic Reality programming and the SampleTank engine. If they’ve been able to use the Stretch feature of ST on the solo instruments it could turn out to be very cool.

For people who already own an orchestral library this may not be a high priority but for ST owners (who most likely will be eligible for a cross-grade discount which will put this library in GPO/Silver territory) looking for orchestral sounds this could be just the thing. I recently bought EWQLSO Gold in the group buy but as a ST owner I’m still interested in this library.

/Yoss

Go Back to forum