• Register
  • Help

Topic: Routing output of GPO to audio track in SX2?

Share/Bookmark

Routing output of GPO to audio track in SX2?

Basic question: How do I route the audio output of GPO to an audio track for recording it for use in final mixdown? I'm on Cubase SX2. Thanks.

Re: Routing output of GPO to audio track in SX2?

Quote Originally Posted by jtheat
    Basic question: How do I route the audio output of GPO to an audio track for recording it for use in final mixdown? I'm on Cubase SX2. Thanks.
    If you are using GPO as a VSTi within Cubase, then there are several options:
    1) you do nothing, as when 'rendering' a mixdown, the VSTi tracks act as audio tracks already
    2) you 'freeze' the VSTi track so effectively converting it into an audio track
    3) if you really want the GPO track to appear as a WAV/audio track, you can either:
    a) solo the GPO track, and then render it into a free audio track
    b) solo the GPO track, take the outputs from your soundcard and route them into the inputs (eg via a mixing desk), choose a recording track, and record live!

Having said all that, since 1) seems the obvious route to me, I feel sure I have not understood your question completely!

Re: Routing output of GPO to audio track in SX2?

Quote Originally Posted by jtheat
    I'm not sure of what are you asking... I assume you are not using the GPO Studio, since you are on SX2 and can have some VST instances inside the sequencer.

On the GPO player interface, you can select a different audio output for each slot. Usually you'll want to have 1+2 for the first slot, 3+4 for the second, etc This way, you'll have each slot in the Kontakt player routed to a different stereo audio stream. That done, you can do your audio mix directly on the SX audio mixer if you want.

If your mix is CPU intensive, i.e. some reverb instances, delays, stereo panners, or whatever, I'd recommend to export to wav every track of your midi sequence, and create a new project for the mix. This is the way I work: I do my midi work on one SX project, with just a basic reverb plugin turned on and no additional audio processing, just to create some space sensation. Then, I export to audio every track and create a second project to mix on audio domain. I import all that wave files into the project, and insert audio plugins at glace until I'm satisfied... or tired... . And that's all. Have I answered your question?

Anton

Talking Re: Routing output of GPO to audio track in SX2?

ZeroZero (Steve) has put together a terrific "template" tutorial for SX [2] here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27135

I added some graphic screen shots to make each step ultra clear. You should probably review it for general familiarity with Cubase SX, jtheat. The graphic version of that (soon to be incorporated in the "official" GPO tutorial pages) is here.

Good luck! KevinKauai
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 01-20-2005 at 02:57 PM. Reason: omitted link

Go Back to forum