• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius user needs help with midi

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Sibelius user needs help with midi

First let me say that though I've diligently studied this midi thing I'm still not sure I know enough about this to ask the right questions. Here goes:
    I only need a midi keyboard to input notes into Sibelius. This Prodikey DM is compact, and fits where I have to work. It appears that the wheel on this is a volume control and not a modulation control (C1). If I had a true midi keyboard with a mod wheel, would Sibelius record the information into the score when I'm recording? Does it matter that I don't have this modulation wheel since I won't be performing but rather am using it to input notes into Sibelius in real time and step time?
    Where else will I miss having a mod wheel?
    Bill

Re: Sibelius user needs help with midi

Bill,

Welcome to the GPO community. You can get by without a midi keyboard and program modulation commands directly in Sibelius. Here's a link to the Sibelius help page. You'll find instructions on how to add modulation data there.

http://www.garritan.com/GPO-SibeliusPage.html

Good Luck,
    Jeff

Question Re: Sibelius user needs help with midi

Thanks Jeff for advising me. I really like the quickness of using the midi keyboard. Are you saying that I could this keyboard and live without the mod wheel?

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Is the mod wheel needed, does it input the music quicker? The pitch wheel works as a midi contoller, and the keyboard is fine.

Bill

Bill,

Just to clarify. You can use that keyboard, and after you've played in your music, you can add the midi data. (through text commands I believe) It would be better to have a keyboard with a mod wheel and control the expression in real time, but it's certainly not a requirement.

Jeff

As Jeff has said, you can get by without the mod wheel and program in the modulation after. However I personally find it more natural to be 'modding' as I go [as I play the parts in live rather than click them into the score] and also had a keyboard that didn't have a mod wheel. I bought myself a small Midi-controller (cost around £40) which has 16 assignable midi knobs. One of which I set up as a mod-wheel, and 8 are set up to control the 8 modifiable instrument parameters. I got the Evolution U-Control UC-16, but there are alternatives.

Thanks Jeff & Low. I guess it would be helpful if I knew enough about this midi stuff to know what I need to use to efficiently / quickly enter the music & dynamics. It sounds like at my level of expertise (minimal) I could get by with the Prodikey dm. I don't play well, so I must use a notation software. I believe there's also a playback dictionary in Sibelius that might send controller info to GPO for the various dynamics.
    On the other hand if having a Mod wheel will speed things up it would definately be worth it. What do you think, would it speed the inputting of notes?
    I was hoping to do more writing vs learning all this tech stuff. Oh well!

Bill

Go Back to forum