• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: harmonics betwwen keys in piano : example with a real Piano

Share/Bookmark

harmonics betwwen keys in piano : example with a real Piano

hello,

I've just recorded the D4 key of my real grand piano Schimmel :
    ------------------
    1)first case : without harmonics (pedal up) -> only the D4 key was down during 2/3 seconds

http://www.audiolivepro.com/d-whitout-harmonics.mp3

--------------------
    2)second case : you can hear the harmonic in the release (pedal up) (the D4 key was down during 2/3 second)
    -> harmonics in D4 sound and in the the release of the D4 when damper of others keys are up

(other keys stille down ) D3 and/or D2 and/or D1 and/or G3 and/or G2 and/or G1

http://www.audiolivepro.com/D-with-harmonics.mp3

we can hear the harmonic in the release because of dampers of over keys still down.
    -----------------------

this harmonic can be hear if others keys are still down or their damper still up (even with no dound).

Regards,

Oliver

------
    rules to hear the harmonic when key is down and when key is up in the release of others keys dampers up :

With A5 is down (played) :

if [keys(A1 or A2 or A3 or A4 or D2 or D3 or D4) are down] and [keys A5 is down] then play the
    A5 harmonics samples

With A4 is down (played) :

if [keys(A1 or A2 or A3 or D2 or D3 ) are down] and [keys A4 is down] then play the
    A5 harmonics samples

With A3 is down (played) :

if [keys(A1 or A2 or D2 ) are down] and [keys A3 is down] then play the
    A5 harmonics samples

With A2 is down (played) :

if [keys(A1 ) are down] and [keys A2 is down] then play the
    A5 harmonics samples

Regards,

Olivier

Re: harmonics betwwen keys in piano : example with a real Piano

bump ?

I'm not sure why you want the rule to say "play the A5 or D5 harmonic." Isn't the harmonic you recorded the octave of the played note--in other words, the first partial? so wouldn't the rule just be:

If note X is played, then play the note one octave above it at a lower velocity and with a longer release?

This makes sense.

The rule as described above makes no sense to me. At least, it's not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    I'm not sure why you want the rule to say "play the A5 or D5 harmonic." Isn't the harmonic you recorded the octave of the played note--in other words, the first partial? so wouldn't the rule just be:

If note X is played, then play the note one octave above it at a lower velocity and with a longer release?

hi,

My english is too bad ?

You have to play on a real piano to understand what i said.

If you still play D4 or G3 (for example) or D4 and G3 or D3 or... or...when you play D5 you will hear the harmonics only of D5.

Several "Xor" "and" "or" conditional operands to reproduce one harmonics

i need only 53 harmonics samples

hear the string demo resonance of the new Kawai CA9 with harmonic imaging 2, you will understand why sampled piano are unreal.

Regards,

Olivier

I have to admit that the language problem may be a problem: are you saying that when you play D4 or A4 or these other notes, the only other note you hear is D5? (NOT the "harmonic of D5, but D5 itself?)

If so, I'm not sure your piano is behaving right.

Lightbulb Re: harmonics betwwen keys in piano : example with a real Piano

Olivier, if you want write what you're trying to say in French and i'll translate it correctly for you in English

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    I have to admit that the language problem may be a problem: are you saying that when you play D4 or A4 or these other notes, the only other note you hear is D5? (NOT the "harmonic of D5, but D5 itself?)

If so, I'm not sure your piano is behaving right.
    harmonic of D5 !

Examples of Kawai ;

http://www.audiolivepro.com/stringresonanz.mp3

Keys : Playing any note on the keyboard causes the respective damper to lift and remain lifted as long as the key is held down

Play a D4 first. Then keep the "D4" key down even if they are no more sound with the D4. Play after that d5 ( "D4" key is still down - damper of the "D4" key up)
    You will hear only the harmonic of D5 + the sound if D5. And you hear the release of D5 (the harmonic of d5) when d5 is up and D4 key is still down with the damper up (damper isn't the damper pedal - i speak about the damper of the key)

(The dampers are used to "stop" the sound of all the notes or combinations of individual notes)

in other words, if the damper of D4 or D5 is still up when you play D4 or D5 you produce only de harmonic of D5 (the higher key)

"If so, I'm not sure your piano is behaving right."

it's the behaviour of real grand piano.
    don't you hear the harmonic in the mp3 ?

Even in others languages it's very hard to explain.

Regards,

Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Franky
    Olivier, if you want write what you're trying to say in French and i'll translate it correctly for you in English

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio
    thanks !

I should make a video to explain that with several examples. I believe it's the best way.

Regards,

Olivier

It sounds like Olivier is trying to point out that when a note is played, any open strings of harmonically related notes will vibrate sympathetically, even when the damper pedal is up. So, for example, you couldn't really play Schoenberg's Opus 11 on a sampled piano (because it calls for keys to be depressed silently in the r.h. while the l.h. plays). And you can't recreate Leonard Bernstein's demonstration of the harmonic series (depressing a low C and playing a C above it, then G, C, E, etc.) either.

Is that right?

Sean

Go Back to forum