• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Track Freeze: Recommendations?

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Track Freeze: Recommendations?

I'm looking to get a mid-level (price/functionality) VSTi Host that will allow me to 'freeze' (ie; render to wav) GPO audio tracks. I know Sonar 4 can do it, but I don't want to pay that much nor at this point do I need/want that much functionality.

I know Tracktion can do it...any recommendations? Is it good...is it relatively easy to use? If there's another basic program (like FL?), any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: GPO and Track Freeze: Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    I'm looking to get a mid-level (price/functionality) VSTi Host that will allow me to 'freeze' (ie; render to wav) GPO audio tracks. I know Sonar 4 can do it, but I don't want to pay that much nor at this point do I need/want that much functionality.

I know Tracktion can do it...any recommendations? Is it good...is it relatively easy to use? If there's another basic program (like FL?), any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tracktion ($150) (http://www.mackie.com ) (or $80 if ytou buy v. 1 RIGHT NOW - v.2 will be announced this weekend at NAMM and the price will go to $150 for v.2) allows you to freeze tracks. It is SUPER easy and quite powerful, and it doesn't need a lot of CPU power to run. It is the slimmest of any DAW I have seen on CPU and ram resources, yet has a LOT of the big boy features (like freezing, external control, etc. etc.) I started using it last week and I am already using it for a ballet! It is VERY nice. and Joseph Burrell and Eric Endres (aka Shazbot) are also very knowledgeable and are great helps!

Hope this helps.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I highly recommend Tracktion to anyone looking for a cheap alternative to the 'big 2.' I would recommend it to you since you are a 'visual' person image. It is very easy to use and isn't cluttered. I think you should at least download the demo and give it a try. Version 2 promises to keep the fundementals but add more functionality. I love my experience with Tracktion so far and am very excited about version 2.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I think I'll wait for Tracktion 2, but it looks like an almost perfect solution for me.

So I assume you're highly recommending it even with the problems you're having with GPO Studio? Just curious...why do use GPO Studio inside Tracktion? I think you mentioned that it's 'CPU friendlier' than the VST. If so, why do you think that is?

Thanks again...music certainly brings some wonderful people together!

Thanks so much for the reply!

I think I'll wait for Tracktion 2, but it looks like an almost perfect solution for me.

So I assume you're highly recommending it even with the problems you're having with GPO Studio? Just curious...why do use GPO Studio inside Tracktion? I think you mentioned that it's 'CPU friendlier' than the VST. If so, why do you think that is?

Thanks again...music certainly brings some wonderful people together!
    I say GPO studio is more CPU and ram friendly this because in GPO studio, you can adjut the Sample size (resolution) The standard is 44,000 but I reduce it to 21,000 or 19,200. That lets you have more instruments playing at a time even on very low end computers This reduces the quality somehwat - but it is still listenable.. GPO as VST is only full resolution and thus I cannot do as many. (But in Tracktion, you can freeze, which helps A LOT.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Thanks Dude! Looks like where the only two GPO 'Mice' around here!

I had no idea that GPO Studio could be so configured...I'm glad you mentioned it! Anything that will let me use more instruments at a time is a very good thing.

Thanks again!

Thanks Dude! Looks like where the only two GPO 'Mice' around here!

I had no idea that GPO Studio could be so configured...I'm glad you mentioned it! Anything that will let me use more instruments at a time is a very good thing.

Thanks again!
    Yep. We seem to be the only mice here. You really ought to download the demo of Tracktion 1 and try it out - within 10 minutes you will know just about everything you need in order to do pretty much anything you want. some features that even the big boys don't have - UNLIMITED Audio and MIDI tracks!!! You can handle as many Audio and Midi tracks as your CPU can power.

What kind of machine setup do you have? I am sure you wrote it in another post somewhere, but I foget.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

I love my machine...it's an HP with a 2.8 Intel P4 w/HT 1 gig ram, a 7200rpm hard drive, WinXP service pack 1 and if it worked any better it would be supernatural!

In the next year or so, I'm looking to upgrade to a Polywell...less than $3500 gets you 4 gig ram along with the best 64AMD and a top notch power supply. With that much ram, I can max out my VSTi 'lust'.

I'm reluctant to download 'trial' software because I like to keep my registery clean as possible and some 'uninstalls' tends to leave 'muck' behind. And besides, I'm not quite yet ready for a full blown Host...right now Overture SE fulfills all my sequencing needs.

It looks like a wonderful piece of software...I really hate the idea of Sonar 4 on my computer (not to mention the idea of leaning that much info). My needs are so basic and there's so much 'bloatage' on Sonar (from my perspective) that it just wasn't/isn't my first choice. Tracktion looks close to meeting my needs perfectly.

Thanks for the reply and let the forum know whatever happens with your presently configured GPO Studio/Tracktion.

Thanks!

I love my machine...it's an HP with a 2.8 Intel P4 w/HT 1 gig ram, a 7200rpm hard drive, WinXP service pack 1 and if it worked any better it would be supernatural!

In the next year or so, I'm looking to upgrade to a Polywell...less than $3500 gets you 4 gig ram along with the best 64AMD and a top notch power supply. With that much ram, I can max out my VSTi 'lust'.

I'm reluctant to download 'trial' software because I like to keep my registery clean as possible and some 'uninstalls' tends to leave 'muck' behind. And besides, I'm not quite yet ready for a full blown Host...right now Overture SE fulfills all my sequencing needs.

It looks like a wonderful piece of software...I really hate the idea of Sonar 4 on my computer (not to mention the idea of leaning that much info). My needs are so basic and there's so much 'bloatage' on Sonar (from my perspective) that it just wasn't/isn't my first choice. Tracktion looks close to meeting my needs perfectly.

Thanks for the reply and let the forum know whatever happens with your presently configured GPO Studio/Tracktion.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the info - you seem to have lots of power already.

I'll keep everyone posted on my GPO Studio and Tracktion adventures. VST is great - I just hope I can get GPO Studio working without problems in Tracktion.

Thanks again for the post. Good luck with you musical endeavors!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Go Back to forum