• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO optimal MIDI Controller?

Share/Bookmark

GPO optimal MIDI Controller?

I am conducting a poll of what the favorite MIDI input controllers are for getting the most out of GPO in the least time.

I currently use an ancient Yahama KX76 for MIDI input, and it seems that the mod wheel and velocity sensitivity curves are jsut not well matched to GPO.

They seem almost inverse logarithmically weighted, such that almost all the dynamic range when playing GPO is distributed over less than half the mod wheel travel and on the very high end of the velocity curve. (You really have to really hammer the keyboard to see any change in attack dynamics).

I am hoping I could do a better job of live input and save a lot of editing time if I can find a better matched master keyboard? What are folks having a good experience with?

Re: GPO optimal MIDI Controller?

I'll be brutally honest with you:
    Personally, I think recording MIDI live is a waste of time. I perfer to use the trusty old rodent (mouse). I've tried using a keyboard live, but it doesn't seem to be all that efficient. I think it takes more time (with Cakewalk Music Creator 2002) to edit MIDI events than to make them from scratch. I don't know your software, but these are just my experiences. I'm never on the beat, any sometimes my finger twitches and I get a velocity attack way more than I bargined for.
    My philosophy on using the mouse is this: since it takes so long to use, you can really think about what you are writing.
    Now, if your into jazz and improv, the keyboard is a beautiful thing. I don't have any recomendations, 'cause I use the mouse, but hopefully a somewhat more knowledgable person will reply to this thread who knows a bit more about what they're talking about.

Did that help the least bit?
    Chris

Re: GPO optimal MIDI Controller?

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I'll be brutally honest with you:
    Personally, I think recording MIDI live is a waste of time. I perfer to use the trusty old rodent (mouse). I've tried using a keyboard live, but it doesn't seem to be all that efficient. I think it takes more time (with Cakewalk Music Creator 2002) to edit MIDI events than to make them from scratch. I don't know your software, but these are just my experiences. I'm never on the beat, any sometimes my finger twitches and I get a velocity attack way more than I bargined for.
    My philosophy on using the mouse is this: since it takes so long to use, you can really think about what you are writing.
    Now, if your into jazz and improv, the keyboard is a beautiful thing. I don't have any recomendations, 'cause I use the mouse, but hopefully a somewhat more knowledgable person will reply to this thread who knows a bit more about what they're talking about.

Did that help the least bit?
    Chris
    I completely agree with Chris -- I compose entirely on a notational program and then when I transfer it over to my multitracker I add in all the GPO sounds and make it sound great. Perhaps a nice midi controller wouldn't be so bad though because then I could automate my mod wheel input and make it sound more lifelike. Does anyone else do this?

Paul Bergel
    www.pauldavidbergel.com

Go Back to forum