• Register
  • Help

Topic: Carpal tunnel ?

Share/Bookmark

Carpal tunnel ?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Does anyone know anything about treatment?
    Any exercises?

Have you heard of the Bowen Technique?

Re: Carpal tunnel ?

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    Does anyone know anything about treatment?
    Any exercises?

Have you heard of the Bowen Technique?
    If it's bad, then it's a fairly straightforward operation. My mother has had both her hands done in the last 18 months.

I am actually trying to get some information for my sister, even though i also have started to experience problems that in my case i bring down to use of the mouse.
    My sister was told that the operation had some risks and she had the bowen technique recommended to her, just wondered if anyone had some experiences to tell

cheers

after going thru a pretty serious bout of tendonitis (a potential precursor to Carpal Tunnel) 8-9 years ago, i've learned to manage it thru a variety of exercises/lifestyle changes, etc.

if you're a musician i would make a point of seeing a doctor who is used to treating musicians with this injury. and personally, i would only get surgery as an absolute last recourse.

things i've done that help include:

-carefully examing my workstation and setting it up in an ergonomic fashion.

-take frequent breaks to stretch

-wear fingerless gloves to keep my hands & wrists warm.

-exercise regularly to strengthen the upper body especially

-i see a special hand chiropracter

-watch my diet-easy on the coffee and sugar and anything that promotes stress.

-try not to use the computer for an entire day when possible (weekends).

your mileage may vary.

i do recommend doing something ASAP, tho. the worse your condition gets, the harder it will be to treat. carpel tunnel is a specific condition, there should be plenty of info out there by now. be sure to get more than one opinion if someone suggests something radical. i saw 8-9 docs before i found someone who was able to help me get better (treat the cause, not the symptoms).

i'm not a doctor, but if you're wrists are sore, you're doing something wrong. listen to your body!

good luck!

john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Smile Re: Carpal tunnel ?

Thanks John , it sounds like good advice

cheers

in my case i dont think its anything as severe yet, but and this is only my observation and i certainly can be wrong, i think in my case its bad posture and the mouseand it seems to have effected both the right side of my back and foot and arm.
    I wonder can a pain in one part of your body affect the rest of the body like that?

Years ago I was spending hours upon hours drawing schematics with a mouse. I developed some pain in my wrist on the little-finger side. I was concered that it was CT. Thankfully it wasn't. My solution? I now use a pen and tablet rather than a mouse. And I use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible.

Best of luck, whatever your solution may be.

-JF

I used to work at a production plant building airplanes. Carpal Tunnel was very common as was all other repetitive motion injury. They actually set up a doctor's office IN the plant because the problem was so bad...Yup, just use people, recycle them, etc. Welcome to the world of production. I quit because I had already been injured and was then promoted because I worked faster than others, (that's what got me injured). I couldn't ethically keep doing a job where I knew the people under me would end up permanently injured. This sounds simple, but your best shot is to not do whatever is hurting you, and allow your body to repair itself. I knew quite a few people who had the surgery for carpal tunnel and it can actually hurt you worse than what you were. So while it might help, use surgery as a last resort, and let your body heal itself. Good luck to you, and get better. I think John Deborde gives good advice in his post.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    I used to work at a production plant building airplanes. Carpal Tunnel was very common as was all other repetitive motion injury. They actually set up a doctor's office IN the plant because the problem was so bad...Yup, just use people, recycle them, etc. Welcome to the world of production. I quit because I had already been injured and was then promoted because I worked faster than others, (that's what got me injured). I couldn't ethically keep doing a job where I knew the people under me would end up permanently injured. This sounds simple, but your best shot is to not do whatever is hurting you, and allow your body to repair itself. I knew quite a few people who had the surgery for carpal tunnel and it can actually hurt you worse than what you were. So while it might help, use surgery as a last resort, and let your body heal itself. Good luck to you, and get better. I think John Deborde gives good advice in his post.
    I agree i am just going to take it easy and really watch out for any signs, but i can relate to your story because i know people who are scared to loose their job so they dont complain, it really is not right

Go Back to forum