• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which driver to use?

Share/Bookmark

Which driver to use?

Hello-

I'm new to this forum. Forgive me if my questions seems elementary. When using GPO studio I'm trying to find the driver that would give me the lowest latency. My system consists of : P4, 2.6G, 1 gig of ram, sound blaster audigy 2. When I go into settings using GPO studio/ audio driver i'm presented with a list of drivers. I think I should be usuing the ASIO drivers but I have a number of them to choose from. They are:

[MME] Microsoft sound mapper output (out)
    [MME] SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [C400] (out)
    [Directsound] Primary Sound Driver (out)
    [Directsound] SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio (out)
    [ASIO] ASIO Direct X (duplex)
    [ASIO] ASIO Multimedia driver (duplex)
    [ASIO] Creative ASIO (duplex)
    [ASIO] SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO 24/96 [C...] (duplex)
    [ASIO] SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO [C400] (duplex)

Also, when I try to use any of the above ASIO drivers I get the following error: Portaudio error (-9997): invalid sample rate

I've tried the work arounds in other posts relating to ths error but none seem to work. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Re: Which driver to use?

That would be my guess.

Hi nitrox,

The "invalid sample rate" means the driver you are trying to select doesn't support the current sample rate on the GPO studio settings >> preferences menu (or whatever/wherever you're driving your samples from). Typically, the system is currently configured with something like a 44100Hz sample rate while trying to load a driver that doesn't support it. In this case switch to a another sample rate first (say 48000Hz) and try loading the driver again.

I've found ASIO to be problematic on my system, no matter how I configure it in terms of buffer size or latency time, especially on really large scores, even though half the PC's memory is unused and the processor is barely peaking above 50%. The last upgrade also seems to have somehow exacerbated this problem. So, I've recently switched drivers to Directsound (SB Audigy soundcard) and all prior problems disappeared. The downside appears to be that one cannot select a specific latency time with Directsound.

There's a little problem with the audigy driver, but definately use it. If Studio crashes I found that if I chose the preference menu first, made sure the matching hz is chosen for the Audio drive I will be using, and then chose the Audio driver I had a greater success of keeping things running. For the 24/96 you must choose 96 hz. For the SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO driver you must choose 48 hz. At least that's how it is with my Audigy 4 card. If you can't get back into Studio, due to that error you mentioned, you'll need to start windows in "safe mode" start Studio and do as I mentioned above. Definately don't start changing drivers repeatedly or you will certainly crash!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox32
    Hello-

I'm new to this forum. Forgive me if my questions seems elementary. When using GPO studio I'm trying to find the driver that would give me the lowest latency. My system consists of : P4, 2.6G, 1 gig of ram, sound blaster audigy 2. When I go into settings using GPO studio/ audio driver i'm presented with a list of drivers. I think I should be usuing the ASIO drivers but I have a number of them to choose from. They are:

[MME] Microsoft sound mapper output (out)
    [MME] SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [C400] (out)
    [Directsound] Primary Sound Driver (out)
    [Directsound] SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio (out)
    [ASIO] ASIO Direct X (duplex)
    [ASIO] ASIO Multimedia driver (duplex)
    [ASIO] Creative ASIO (duplex)
    [ASIO] SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO [C400] (duplex)

Also, when I try to use any of the above ASIO drivers I get the following error: Portaudio error (-9997): invalid sample rate

I've tried the work arounds in other posts relating to ths error but none seem to work. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Well, my setup is Creative ASIO Duplex, 48000, buffers 512. That works, nothing else does. But even if you just got the card, be sure to check for driver updates. It is absolutely essential, crashes all over the place otherwise, sometimes even when not using the sound card!

I got invalid sample rate errors until I set up as described. Since then, no troubles.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, my setup is Creative ASIO Duplex, 48000, buffers 512. That works, nothing else does. But even if you just got the card, be sure to check for driver updates. It is absolutely essential, crashes all over the place otherwise, sometimes even when not using the sound card!

I got invalid sample rate errors until I set up as described. Since then, no troubles.

Richard
    Thanks, there is a bit of a learning curve to GPO. But little by little I'm getting it. Thanks again.

Aric

Go Back to forum