• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi wizards Help! Is there a way to . . .

Share/Bookmark

Angry Midi wizards Help! Is there a way to . . .

. . . be able to play layered sounds in realtime using sequencer software? More specifically, I am using GS3, 3 sound modules, a Roland A-90, and PowerTracks Pro as a sequencer accessed through GS3, and using m-Audio's Midisport 4x4 for ports. I am able to access and play my GS3 piano, and also to play and record my external modules. The only problem is, I can't seem to be able to play my GS3 piano samples and layer sounds from one or more of the external modules AT THE SAME TIME, ie, play more than one track at a time. No variation of the Midi Thru settings will allow for this in the PowerTracks seq software either. Prior to picking up the 4x4, I used the midi outs from the A90 to be able to layer all my modules on top of Giga, or between each other, as I wished. Is this an either/or situation? If so, that sucks as I would have to reroute cables every time boohoo!

Please help!

Noel

Re: Midi wizards Help! Is there a way to . . .

Try downloading Bidule from http://www.plogue.com It's free and should be able to route everything you need in MIDI and much, much more.

-JF

Thanks Jon, do you happen to have an answer to my question, is this an either/or situation normally, without something like BIDULE, or do I have something set up incorrectly? For example, using Cakewalk, or some other pricier version of sequencing software, is it possible to play muliple ports in realtime? I guess this is the real question, because with PowerTracks you have to select a track to play, and each track is linked to a midi out port (.

Noel

I have to admit that I know nothing about GS3 & Roland A-90 (but maybe that doesn't matter). At least with Kontakt/Kompakt instruments layering is no problem in Sonar. I can just turn on the Input Echo on the tracks that I want to play with my keyboard and I'll hear them all at once.

Hi Noel,

I pointed out the free solution, figuring that you didn't want to change sequencers.

I have Sonar 3 and it can play through multiple tracks on different ports and channels as desired. There's an arrow on each track to the right of the Mute/Solo/Record buttons. Click it until it becomes green (Input Echo: ON), then click the arrows on the other tracks that you want. They become green as well, and the combination will play.

I hope that helps. I'm not sure about other sequencers and this feature, but I tested it with Sonar 3.1.1 Studio and it works fine. You can also record to the multiple tracks simultaneously as selected, so you can playback exactly what you had heard.

-JF

Thank you Jon. I am a little reluctant to keep adding new pieces of software, such as Bidule, and also it appears to actually be shareware, so contemplating new seq software starts looking better. I will check out Sonar. Thanks,

Noel

Go Back to forum