• Register
  • Help

Topic: SW DVD/LD

Share/Bookmark

SW DVD/LD

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I was just doing some spring cleaning in January, and I came across my SW trilogy LD collection. I got to thinking, and I believe this is the only digital version of the original film, without any Lucas modifications!

Does that sound right?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Re: SW DVD/LD

SW? Software? Oh, Star Wars.

I think you're mostly right, except for the fact that Laser Discs are analog. But they're way better than VHS, and don't have the MPEG-2 artifacts of DVDs, so maybe that makes them superior.

I wonder when we will be able to buy the Blu-ray version, with or without the modifications?

-JF

Jon -

How are they analog? The techniques for storing and retrieving the data is the same as a cd, right??

Eric
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

LD is still pits and spacings, but it's not digital. It's FM. It was created before there was enough bandwidth from optical discs for the rates we get from DVDs (let alone Blu-ray), and it was created before we had MPEG video compression or the CPU power to implement it.

This site explains it well: http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld96.html

-JF

Whatever they are, you could probably get a MINT for them on ebay.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Doggett
    I was just doing some spring cleaning in January, and I came across my SW trilogy LD collection. I got to thinking, and I believe this is the only digital version of the original film, without any Lucas modifications!

Does that sound right?
    Hi Eric, if your edition is from or after 1997 then it has the first Lucas modifications (ep.IV : added 3D beasts at Mos Esley arrival and Jabba looking like a fat toad). No Jabba scene = original edit!

Hey there -

Nope - these are from the end of college - 1993!

Eric
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

I have this same set but I also have Star Wars (later dubbed A New Hope) separately from around 1980 or so. My family had one of the first LD players when I was growing up. It was a top-loading Pioneer that was about 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 8 inches tall. If you want an idea just how old this technology is (and yes, it is noticeably analog) the company that put out all those movies in LD format originally was known as DiscoVision. Need I say more? I don't have a player anymore so I can't check the trilogy set but the first change Lucas ever made was adding the "Episode IV - A New Hope" to the beginning of the opening text scroll. An original print won't have these words. If I remember right, the standalone disc is an original print and the trilogy set had the "Episode IV" added.

IIRC the "A New Hope" title was added for the 1979 (??) re-release in theaters prior to Empire coming out. I don't think it was EVER seen without it except for its initial run and has never been on home video without that title. BUT, I'm sure there are fanboys out there who know definitively...

Also AFAIK any release on LD of VHS prior to the SE versions (including the '93 THX editions) shold be the originals (or what passes for the originals).

Go Back to forum