• Register
  • Help

Topic: Latency

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Latency

Hi,

I've recently installed Giga 3.0.4 on a P4 3ghz machine with a gig of ram. I'm running an RME 9652 card (which works fine with Kontakt & Giga 2.4)

I've tried a few different polyphony settings but the best I can accomplish feels like 1/4 sec latency using the stock piano. I've changed from the midi included in the RME card to an ESI-M4U USB interface but the latency is still there. I've lowered the buffer on the RME card from 256 to 128 with no luck.

If anyone has an idea I'd be sincerely grateful.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Latency

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMarshMusic
    Hi,

I've recently installed Giga 3.0.4 on a P4 3ghz machine with a gig of ram. I'm running an RME 9652 card (which works fine with Kontakt & Giga 2.4)

I've tried a few different polyphony settings but the best I can accomplish feels like 1/4 sec latency using the stock piano. I've changed from the midi included in the RME card to an ESI-M4U USB interface but the latency is still there. I've lowered the buffer on the RME card from 256 to 128 with no luck.

If anyone has an idea I'd be sincerely grateful.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Need more info...

Is Giga running on a dedicated machine?

Or are you running rewire?

Rewire latencies tend to be higher than dedicated machine latencies...

(best to use Giga in a stand alone dedicated machine obviously)... but if you're running rewire, what is your Hammerfall latency setting in the RME hardware window?

Should be less than 256 samples... (if more, then try a lower setting)

I've noticed that there is more latency using Nuendo/Cubase/Rewire Giga on the same machine than using GigaStudio on a dedicated machine.

Also, if you are using a dedicated machine, be sure to use 'direct monitoring' in your RME card so that you card does not introduce any additional latency.

This assumes that you are using the HDSP mixer where you can actually route digital input signals from the GigaBox directly into Nuendo/Cubase. (the green colored mixer that comes with the HDSP series of cards)

Hope this helps!

Best to you!

Larry Seyer
    http://www.larryseyer.com
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

jeff .

I have a similar setup than yours. I run GS 3.04 on a P4 3.4 ghz with 1 Gig of RAM and the RME digi 9652 audio card. I also run MidioverLan CP ver. 2 to transmit midi between my mac G5 to the giga PC through ethernet.
    I use a Roland A-80 for controller . The midi goes from the Roland to a M-audio firewire 1814 audio/midi interface then Logic routes the midi to the Giga PC via Midioverlan. I have set the audio buffer on the RME card to 64 samples and the audio is sent to logic via ADAT lightpipe from the RME card.
    I onitor that audio from the M-audio zero latency mode and NOT through the Logic mixer. The latency is very acceptable with this setup. I don't feel the response sluggish in any way.

hope this helps!

Yves

I'm getting some unpleasant latency as well through Rewire.
    I am only using Rewire because Cubase kills the output of GS3 upon bootup. In GS32, I just used to only select outputs 3/4 or 5/6 on my Delta66, but can't figure out how to set this up in GS3.
    All is running on a single machine (AMD Ahtlon64)

Any suggestions appreciated.
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Thank you everyone. To answer Larry's questions,
    I found that Asio direct monitoring is checked. I Am running stand alone and have disabled rewire. On my Hammerfall card there are 2 things checked that I don't know what they are: In a box titled MME, "Check Input" and "TMS" are checked. Latency setting is currently 128. There's still something wrong. This same setting works fine with Kontakt.

Thanks again you guys.
    Jeff

P.S.
    What do you suggest for the Max Polyphony and voice stealing settings?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Go Back to forum