• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lost GPO Instrument Track control in DP

Share/Bookmark

Lost GPO Instrument Track control in DP

Please excuse me if this is trivial or has already been covered in the forum: I am new to DP Instrument Tracks...and there is no reference whatsoever to them in the DP user guide.

I got GPO a little while ago (love it!), installed it, opened DP, played with the instruments, set up a template for a good chunk of orchestra, saved the project file, and quit.

Now I open the project file, all the GPO Instrument Tracks appear in the DP track window, but they don't play and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the GPO/Kontakt instrument panel open again for any of these saved Instrument Tracks. I can add more GPO instruments, see their control panels, and play them, but the pre-existing Instrument Tracks remain illusive.

I know there must be some simple explanation -- it won't be the first time I feel like an idiot.

Re: Lost GPO Instrument Track control in DP

SPF,

Sorry you are having trouble with DP and GPO. What version of DP are you using? If you are using v. 4.5, check out chapter 66, "Virtual Instrument Plug-ins" on page 813 of the manual. If I remember correctly the manual in v. 4.1.2 has the same chapter in it (different page though).

You should also be using GPO as an audio unit plug-in. For me it seems to work best this way. Here are the steps for using GPO as an instrument in DP.

1. In the "Project" menu, select "Add Tracks">"Instrument Track">"Native Instruments: Garritan Personal Orchestra (Stereo)." If you don't see this in the menu you haven't installed GPO as an audio unit.

2. Now you will be given the Kontakt player in all of its glory. You should be able to then select the instruments and their midi channels.

3. When you have done this, go back to your "Tracks' window and add a midi track for each of the instruments you selected. Be sure to assign the appropriate midi channel under the “Output” heading in the "Tracks" window. You are now ready to fly. So fasten your seat belt.

4. if you need to revisit the Kontakt player to make changes, you must open the "Mixing Board" window from the "Project" menu and double click on the top most insert that says “Garritan…” The Kontakt Player should appear. If it doesn’t, let us know.

5. By the way, Brian has done a nice tutorial on GPO and DP. You will find it on the Garritan site, along with so many other helpful tutorials.

I hope this helps.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks for the tips. I am using DP 4.11 and had been doing everything as you instructed up through step 3.

Step 4 is apparently the key - e.g., double clicking on the topmost insert in the mixing board.

I am not in my studio now, but will try it later. I am, however, skeptical, as I couldn't hear any of the instruments as I played their MIDI channels (or through then live with record enabled) even though the Auxiliary Audio Tracks(e.g., "Instrument Tracks") and corresponding MIDI tracks were all there and correctly configured.

Also, in the control bar of DP 4's plugin window, you shoudl be able to get to all the plug-ins. In this control, the GPO instances added during the current session were visible and accessible, but not those carried over from an earlier saved session.

As I said, I will see and let you (and the forum) know.

Thanks.

In the meantime, I would strongly urge you to upgrade to v. 4.12. It gives much better performance and if I’m not mistaken, it's a free upgrade from MOTU's website. 3.52 is even better, but you have to pay for that one.

Karl

Ok. I've been in the studio and done some controlled diagnostics, and there was definitely a problem, but now I can't replicate it. It occured whenever I renamed the DP Virtual Instrument Track from the DP assigned name of "Garritan Personal Orchestra-1," "Garritan Personal Orchestra-4," etc. to something useful, such as "Low Brass" or "Violins & Violas" and saved the file.

As the file is retrieved for a subsequent DP session, I get messages reporting the loading of the GPO samples, but then:
    (1) the Kontakt player interface for them is unavailable,
    (2) the virtual instrument tracks do not play,
    (3) the topmost insert box in the DP mixing board channel strip is a light pink with no plug-in indicated, and
    (4) when the track name for any of these virtual instruments is selected in any of DP's plug-in window menu strips, they come up blank (like a regular Aux audio track).

Ahhh...but on new files everything is fine. The problem is only with DP files I saved several days ago or earlier.

I am definitely going to download the DP 4.12 update. I'd like to go to 4.52, but I'm on a tight deadline and don't want to further destabilize my principal system.

Thanks, Karl, for your help.

SPF, Glad things are better for you. When upgrading to v.4.12 make sure that you upgrade the drivers that go with it. I don't remember for sure, but I think that there was a change with this version. Check the MOTU website for more info. Also the Unicorn Nation is up and running again after being down for many months. This is an excellent source of mostly reliable info about DP CHECK IT OUT.

Take care,

Karl

There was a known bug in DP 4.11 that made some plugin information sometimes disappear (at least when you had created your track with command 'add similar track'). This was fixed in version 4.12.
    I strongly recommend to upgrade to version 4.52, it works faster with GPO than older versions (although there wasn't any problems with 4.12 in my setup).

Thanks - Please test 4.52 before I buy

Thanks, Aavekammari.

I did upgrade to 4.12 and some of the problem remains. Now DP does not lose virtual instrument information between sessions or when adding similar tracks, but if you select several tracks that include a virtual instrument and copy them to a new sequence, it does not work. Not sure whether the MIDI no longer reaches the instrument or the instrument no longer loads. Either way, it's a pain.

Before I plunk down the $149 to upgrade to 4.52, would you mind testing it to see if this particular issue is still a problem? The idea is to create a sequence with a virtual instruemnt track and a few MIDI tracks that play the instrument. Then select all these tracks and choose 'copy selection to a new sequence' from the sequence menu. Then switch to the new sequence and see if it plays properly.

This is a technique that is very useful for extracting and re-arranging a little thematic material here in a film score. When it doesn't function, the hours of work multiply.

Re: Thanks - Please test 4.52 before I buy

Quote Originally Posted by SPF
    Now DP does not lose virtual instrument information between sessions or when adding similar tracks, but if you select several tracks that include a virtual instrument and copy them to a new sequence, it does not work. Not sure whether the MIDI no longer reaches the instrument or the instrument no longer loads.
    I created a sequence that includes 2 stereo GPO tracks and 2 midi tracks. Recorded some notes for each midi track.
    Selected all tracks and created a new sequence (copy selection to new sequence).
    Changed to created seq and hit play, result: works ok.

So, at least for me this seems to work

Go Back to forum