• Register
  • Help

Topic: DP4 and GPO Host

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb DP4 and GPO Host

To all Mac users (and those who might know about it):

Does anyone here know about accessing GPO Host's internal MIDI drivers? I have a Mac client who needs to pipe MIDI data from his DP4 into his GPO Host. Will the drivers show up automatically when GPO Host is installed, or do they have to be "initialized" somewhere to show up? Really need this to work...

FYI, hosting the AU in DP is not an option.

Thank very much for your help,
    JG

Re: DP4 and GPO Host

Quote Originally Posted by thejerz
    To all Mac users (and those who might know about it):

Does anyone here know about accessing GPO Host's internal MIDI drivers?
    This is easy, just launch GPO Studio, and DP4 will automatically see the MIDI ports. They will show up in the MIDI track output selection as GPO Studio: 1 thru 8...with 16 channels available for each port.

The downside? If you want to record it, GPO Studio's audio output will need to be routed back into DP either via an external (hardware) link or via one of those CoreAudio routing utilities like Soundflower or Jack. I think the extra CPU overhead of these hacks will take a toll unless you have a fast dual G5...hence my preference to use GPO or other VIs within DP4 as AUs or VST hosted within AudioEase VSTWrapper. (the latter gives you access to multiple outputs).

Quote Originally Posted by thejerz
    FYI, hosting the AU in DP is not an option.
    Why is that? for me, AU is much more convenient....

There is only one reason that I know of not to use GPO AU within DP: DP4 does not handle VIs across multiple chunks efficiently. Many film composers, accustomed to using DP chunks for separate cues, will find that GPO Host or similar separate VI/Sampler will allow them to continue using chunks.

hope that helps

Brian

Jonathan Klein wrote an excellent pdf tutorial on how he set up GPO in Bidule in order to host GPO outside of Digital Performer. You can view the tutorial at
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_ExternalHost.pdf

Gary Garritan

Hey, thanks there.

The reason I can't use it with AU is because the sequence is being prepared for playback in a different sequencer. This sequencer is proprietary and does not host VSTi's or DXi's of any kind. I wish I could, but I can't...

-JG

Go Back to forum