• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly OT: Composer Opportunity

Share/Bookmark

Slightly OT: Composer Opportunity

Hi all,

Please forgive this slightly off topic message - it will become apparent why its here. I am involved in setting up a new production music library based out of the UK and we are currently looking for new writers.

I have posted here as we are interested in recruiting from writers who mainly write for games, to source a section of the library. The material needs to be extremely high quality in terms of writing and production values.

If anyone is interested please email me one or two samples of your work in MP3 format to paul@synesthesia.net

Thanks!

Paul Thomson

Re: Slightly OT: Composer Opportunity

Hey Paul,

You will find that most composers that are any good wont compose for music libraries. Simply because the pay structure is very poor. In most cases it hardly covers the time and effort to compose the music, let alone the running costs of a reasonable home studio.

You will have to let us know alot more about what you plan to do. As well as the pay structure that you are offering.

I hope I dont sound to negative, but I've yet to see any music library company that will pay you what you are worth. Unless you can guarantee some income to the composer (generally impossible for new company), then you would really need to pay something up front.

That's my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneSim
    Hey Paul,

You will find that most composers that are any good wont compose for music libraries. Simply because the pay structure is very poor. In most cases it hardly covers the time and effort to compose the music, let alone the running costs of a reasonable home studio.

You will have to let us know alot more about what you plan to do. As well as the pay structure that you are offering.

I hope I dont sound to negative, but I've yet to see any music library company that will pay you what you are worth. Unless you can guarantee some income to the composer (generally impossible for new company), then you would really need to pay something up front.

That's my 2cents.
    Hi Waynesim,

Thanks for your reply. Just want to address a few points you have made: If you consider (just one example) that Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell etc all have placed music into Extreme's library, I would have to disagree with you that good composers wont write for libraries! I know many great composers here in the UK who deliberately spend a proportion of their time writing for libraries as the back end can be very very lucrative for the writers - ***with the right deal***.

It is very hard to get music into the best libraries - the material has to be extremely high quality compositionally and production value-wise. It is impossible to guarantee income - that depends on the use or not of the tracks - and it is common that the consideration for the libraries share of royalties is the marketing and promotion of the music.

I dont really want to get involved in a discussion about the philosophy of the library business, but anyone who gets involved in this particular project, when they see the terms of the deal, will agree that this is an exceptionally good deal for the writers, in terms of the 'risk' to their hard developed intellectual property, and also in terms of splits and income.

This company is developed by writers for writers. We already have a number of writers on board, who are all extremely talented, and I just felt that the opportunity might be of interest to writers on this forum - if anyone feels its not for them - no problem!

All the best for 2005.

Paul

Paul,

I sent you an email with samples, and there are more on my site (see the links below).

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
    Todd Kinsley
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

http://www.toddkinsley.com

Thanks Todd, we have emailed you this morning.

Thanks to everyone who mailed - we have had a huge response and will be getting back to everyone shortly.

Alll the best!

Paul

Go Back to forum