• Register
  • Help

Topic: need help with hardware selection

Share/Bookmark

need help with hardware selection

Greetings . . .
    I am about to purchase hardware and software, starting from the ground up, to set up a Giga Studio3. I'm kinda isolated out here in Hawai'i and can't find anyone locally to chat or compare notes with . . .
    If anyone with lots of experience in setting up G3 has a few minutes, I'd appreciate the opportunity to chat by phone and "borrow your brain" for a few minutes. It's a big investment (both time and money), so any help would be appreciated before I make my final selections.
    Mahalo ("thanks" in Hawaiian).
    justin thyme

Re: need help with hardware selection

Good luck! It really is not too difficult to do, and there have been several threads about setups that work well. My latest build used a relatively inexpensive ASUS motherboard (P4P800-SE) and a 3.0 GHz Intel P4 with a Zalman CPU cooler in an Antec Sonata Case. Two 120GB disks, 2 Gb of memory, DVD+CD-R drive, Floppy, Keyboard, Mouse. The only limitation with this board is no extra IDE disks, you have 2 SATA positions however. This is far from top of the line, but plenty to run a good gigastudio setup, and total cost under $1000 (I think -- didn't go back and add it all up).

Look for "systems that work" in this forum for some other setups.

Quote Originally Posted by justin thyme
    Greetings . . .
    I am about to purchase hardware and software, starting from the ground up, to set up a Giga Studio3. I'm kinda isolated out here in Hawai'i and can't find anyone locally to chat or compare notes with . . .
    If anyone with lots of experience in setting up G3 has a few minutes, I'd appreciate the opportunity to chat by phone and "borrow your brain" for a few minutes. It's a big investment (both time and money), so any help would be appreciated before I make my final selections.
    Mahalo ("thanks" in Hawaiian).
    Hi Justin,
    I agree with Gugliel. Setting up GSt isn't really difficult, but it has been a bit of a buggy program over the years. I used GSt/96 2.54 for the last number of years and gemerally learned what to do to keep away from system crashes, but they did still happen. I've just upgraded to 3.0/Orch this weekend. My results so far are a bit mixed. The 3.00 version of the program has crashed on me a few times so when I finally get registered and upgrade I hope that gets better. On the other hand when the program is running (95% of the time right now) it is much more efficient that the 2.5 version was. So far I'm very happy.

As for the hardware there isn't a lot to it. Here's my short list of inputs:

1) A good processor and memory will really help you. 3GHz and 512MB minimum no matter what you are going to load. More memory if you find you need it but I'd save my money and get that later unless you get a screaming upgrade deal when you buy the machine. My machine is an Athlon XP 2600+ with 512MB. I can load 16 VSO gig files and use about 50% of memory but never use more that about 15% of CPU. It WILL go up when I get around to playing with GigaPulse.

2) The system drive doesn't need to be large, or even that fast, but you certainly want a second large drive for the gig files. Using a SATA drive for the gig files is recommended.

3) As for the sound card get recommendations here. I use an older Hammerfall Lite which works quite well for me, but again I've only been running 3.0/Orch for a few days so take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck and have fun sampling!

Cheers,
    Mark

Thanks, Guglielmo and Mark, for the advice and encouragement re: hardware.

I'm glad I haven't made my mind up yet . . . here's some interesting news:

Just within the last couple of days Sweetwater announced and posted the availability of its "Creation Station Rack Computer" with P4 3.2GHz/800MHz FSB, 512MB400 x 2, Seagate Glyph 80GB + 200GB HD, and impressive ultra quiet technology using Auralex SheetBlok-Plus. It's priced at $2,149.97 (not including an audio interface; they're recommending the MOTU 2408mk3 at around $950 -- any comments?).

Some additional specs on the computer: Asus 875P motherboard; DVD+/-RW; Nvidia FX5200 DVI+VGA; Ports: 2 x FireWire, 7 x USB, 2 x PS2; 5 PCI slots available; 8-in-1 multimedia card reader.

Best of all: I called and found out that Sweetwater will gladly sell and support a "turnkey" system with GigaStudio3 Orchestra pre-installed. The G3 is priced right at $500; the additional charge for the pre-installation is $90, well worth it in my book. The system is tested and tweaked before it ships.

More details are available at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSRack/

Any other comments or suggestions?

Aloha . . . .
    justin thyme

There are many companies that will build a Giga system for you, and much cheaper than that. Remember that if Giga is all you intend to run, then a lot of the "extras" that you might get are useless.

Daryl

Justin,

I agree with Daryl. You might want to think of other uses for the machines OR a music only PC. I purchase gear for my day job at sweetwater, they always return my calls, my sales rep ins't tooo up on digital music but knows basic compatiblity issues, but that price. . .
    That price apprears to be a little high to me. I bought a turnkey system a 4 years ago. I'm a mac guy and wanted Giga but didn't want to deal with specs on a PC. I paid a little more than what you were guoted. About 8 months after I got it, the company went out of business.
    If I could turn back time, I wouldn't have rushed into the pruchase like I did for reasons of finances, my needs changed, and of course technology changed- off the shelf got faster
    I've scored every film with Giga and all my clients have been impressed. I would recommend shopping around for turnkeys OR finding a good deal on an off the shelf system. Just make sure it has a good motherboard and processor and ram space.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Thanks, all, for the wise words. I appreciate your great advice. But when reading it all over again I realized that my time has value -- and that I could easily spend hours debugging a put-together system.

(Okay, so I chickened-out . . . )

I've ordered a Carillon system with GigaStudio 3 Orchestral pre-installed. It's the AC-1 Core 3 (3.2 GHz P4), upgraded to 2 GB RAM and XP Pro,with one 120GB Seagate SATA drive for the OS and other applications, and two Seagate 160GB SATA drives in a RAID-0 configuration for data. I also selected the Frontier Design Dakota/Montana combo, plus their Sierra 8 x 8, and the Chicken Systems Translator (giga edition) so I can easily import hundreds of wonderful Ensoniq ASR-10 files from an old library.

It should arrive here in Hawaii (it's shipping from London!) around Feb. 4 -- I'll post a review ASAP once I get it up and running.

Aloha,

jt
    justin thyme

Go Back to forum