• Register
  • Help

Topic: What screen resolution in GPO Studio?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy What screen resolution in GPO Studio?

I can barely read all those little numbers! I'm running 1280x960. Large size ( 120 dpi )
    One other thing. What is the pull down menu for in Studio that is always set to 1/2, and can go all the way to 15/16?
    Just curious.

I love these sounds in GPO!

Re: What screen resolution in GPO Studio?

Quote Originally Posted by bnlsrv
    I can barely read all those little numbers! I'm running 1280x960. Large size ( 120 dpi )
    One other thing. What is the pull down menu for in Studio that is always set to 1/2, and can go all the way to 15/16?
    Just curious.

I love these sounds in GPO!

Well, I find that 1024 x768 is the best all around setting, normal size (96 dpi). But you did not mention your monitor size. These settings work with my XP machine and 17 inch LCD monitor. For my Windows 98 creature, 15 inch CRT monitor, 800 x 600 is my choice. When you get a legible screen you will be able to see what the numbers are for. They refer to channels. Perhaps you should check for a display driver update?

Richard

Smile Re: What screen resolution in GPO Studio?

I run Cubase SX and GPO on two 1280x1024 flat-screen displays (dual monitor AGP card from nVidia) and am lusting over the notion of doubling that!

Long and short is that you can never have too much resolution. Now tiny type -- that's a different problem. Most of the time, Native Instruments designers have used that where there are things that once you know them, it's no biggee to pick out. (Like MIDI channel, output channels and the like.)

have fun with your GPO . . it's a treasure!

KevinKauai

Someone should invent a "magnifying glass" overlay pointer that works like a regular mouse pointer except it blows everything up about 4x in a little window everywhere you move it. Wouldn't that be great for all these programs with little numbers? It would be easy to program too.

magnifying glass: found in windows programs accessories accessibility
    Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero
    magnifying glass: found in windows programs accessories accessibility
    Zero
    Well now how cool is THAT!!!! To think that util has been hiding there all along. I'll be interested to see if anyone I know has any idea it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    I run Cubase SX and GPO on two 1280x1024 flat-screen displays (dual monitor AGP card from nVidia) and am lusting over the notion of doubling that!

Long and short is that you can never have too much resolution. Now tiny type -- that's a different problem. Most of the time, Native Instruments designers have used that where there are things that once you know them, it's no biggee to pick out. (Like MIDI channel, output channels and the like.)

KevinKauai
    Well, now, Kevin, I have been pondering over your words, which seemed contradictory to my experience. However, I just tried your resolution, and find it works quite well. I attribute the change in performance to newer graphics drivers. It also helps that the astigmatism correction of my glasses now corrects rather than degrades my vision. So I am now running on 1280 x 1024, normal pixels (96 psi) on my 17 inch LCD display. I have more higher resolution choices, but have not yet tried them. With this resolution, there is no problem with squares becoming rectanges or circles becoming ovals. Maybe later, I will test and see how far I can go.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai

KevinKauai
    Well, I have been testing various resolutions, color depth and text size. I am now fully convinced that you are right, 1280 x 1024 works best, and I leave the size at 96 pixels for text. I had to change the font size in my browser.

A fringe benefit seems to be that GPO, including Studio, VST, DXI, stand alone, all seem to load noticeably faster. This I do not understnad, but that is the way it is!

Richard

Go Back to forum