• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Distributed AUdio in Logic 7 - Help!

Share/Bookmark

Distributed AUdio in Logic 7 - Help!

Is anyone here using Distributed audio under Logic 7? I'm working on a huge file that is taking up all my resources on my G5. I have 3.5 gigs of RAM and according to my activity monitor in addition to my 3.5 gigs, Logic is grabbing about 7.5 gigs of virtual memory RAM. Well, needless to say this is killing my system. The problem is everytime I save Logic crashes. Usually it saves it, it just crashes. And with so many samples it takes about 5 mintues to load after each crash.

So what I'm wondering is if I buy another G5, will the distributed audio feature release some of this memory work load or will it only help with the audio processing workload? Or better yet, if someone has a better solution I'd go for that. I'm not jumping to replace all my 512 RAM chips with 1 Gig chips because it's going to cost me a ton, and in over a year this is the first time I've had my machine acting like this - so if I can just get through this project I'll be home free. I need another G5 for my other room anyway, so this could be a good excuse to buy one - but only if it will work. Any advice would be much appreciated - it's hard to be patient with a crashing computer when a deadline is looming and sleep is missing!!

j-

Re: Distributed AUdio in Logic 7 - Help!

AFAIK: The distributed processing solution will lighten CPU loads as a result of instruments and plug-ins, but will not help in reducing the memory requirements for sample based instruments a la EXS, Kontakt and the like (if that is actually what you are asking). With that said, I'm not an expert on this topic, but if you are keen, you might get some help with this topic at the Apple Logic site, or alternately at Sonikmatter.com and/or OSXaudio.com.

Well, doesn't look like that's going to help then. What would help is if I could get my EWQL samples to play from my PC (Giga machine) - which would require me installing Kontakt on that machine. But I need more than 1 instance. Could I use Vstack and get 4 MIDI ports from Kontakt on my PC and just treat kontakt like I treat Giga? Anyone have a solution for this??

I'd start bouncing and freezing some tracks at this point. (well... before I reached this point).

dk

couple more things...

Are you using DFD?
    Also, the virtual memory in OSX writes swap files to the system drive. These can become enormous. If your system drive is close to being full, then this may be the source of the crashes. You may be out of free space. I’d keep at least 40% of my system drive empty.

dk

Hi J.,

I do work with Logic on a 1.5 Ghz Powerbook with 1,25 Gig Ram PLUS a PC ( 2,8 Ghz, 2Gig RAM ) with V-STack and EWQL Gold/Kompakt as my main Orchestral-Instrument source, connected by 4 MIDI Channels/Cables,
    8 Instances of Kompakt ( in your case maybe 8x KONTAKT ), and it simply works.
    V-Stack sometimes freezes after many hours of work AND a some-hours-break, so you must save your setup from time to time.

It´s not a state - of- the-art-system, ( dream of a G5), but it works for my needs.
    ( TV- and film-scoring )
    Hope that helps

Matthias

"Well, doesn't look like that's going to help then. What would help is if I could get my EWQL samples to play from my PC (Giga machine) - which would require me installing Kontakt on that machine. But I need more than 1 instance. Could I use Vstack and get 4 MIDI ports from Kontakt on my PC and just treat kontakt like I treat Giga? Anyone have a solution for this??

Yup, this works super - Kontakt inside VStack works much like Samples in Giga2.54 on the PC. I recently improved my setup by getting rid of the hardware midi interface between the main Mac hosting the sequencer (in my case DP) and the PC. Midi-Over-LAN CP (cross platform) works without a hitch.

With MOL CP I'm currently using only 5 of the available 16 midi 'ports'. VStack does fine hosting multiple Kontakt instances.

Feel free to call if you want to explore further (use PM first).

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    Well, doesn't look like that's going to help then. What would help is if I could get my EWQL samples to play from my PC (Giga machine) - which would require me installing Kontakt on that machine. But I need more than 1 instance. Could I use Vstack and get 4 MIDI ports from Kontakt on my PC and just treat kontakt like I treat Giga? Anyone have a solution for this??
    Yea , V-Stack works great this way, but if you need Midi tempo sync for other VSTi`s i would go with BrainSpawn Forte. I`m using both on my GS3 machine...Rich

Okay, Could someone give me a theoretical layout of how this would look? I THINK it would be like thus - but I could be wrong:

Logic Host - transmits 4 ports via MIDI interface to 4 ports on MIDI interface on my PC (Like I do with Giga)

On my PC I load up Vstack (which I must go buy) and I now have 4 ports of Vstack available with 16 MIDI Channels each

I have to get Kontakt authorized on my PC, copy my samples, and then I can get to work?

I'm going to head to Guitar Center to try ot get Vstack, hopefully this will work. Does anybody know how I could make my PC video route to my Apple displays with a switch for either computer (figure I'll ask while I'm doing technical stuff)

Thanks for the help.

J-

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    Okay, Could someone give me a theoretical layout of how this would look? I THINK it would be like thus - but I could be wrong:

Logic Host - transmits 4 ports via MIDI interface to 4 ports on MIDI interface on my PC (Like I do with Giga)

On my PC I load up Vstack (which I must go buy) and I now have 4 ports of Vstack available with 16 MIDI Channels each

I have to get Kontakt authorized on my PC, copy my samples, and then I can get to work?

I'm going to head to Guitar Center to try ot get Vstack, hopefully this will work. Does anybody know how I could make my PC video route to my Apple displays with a switch for either computer (figure I'll ask while I'm doing technical stuff)

Thanks for the help.

J-
    You can buy VStack directly from the Steinberg website -- and its a direct download.

Go Back to forum