• Register
  • Help

Topic: Transposeing midi tracks in Cubase?

Share/Bookmark

Question Transposeing midi tracks in Cubase?

What's with Cubase and the midi transpose edit? I've been having a terrible time trying to transpose midi tracks from Ab to CMj and this @%#$@ just jumps to where ever it wants! God, in an external sequencer if you want to move a major 3rd no problem in increments of half steps. I've set proper note ranges and the dang thing just either jumps lower when I move up and higher if I move down. What gives?
    Anyone have experience with this feature in any one of the Cubase systems I sure would appreciate you setting me straight!
    Styxx

Re: Transposeing midi tracks in Cubase?

Click on Edit, Select All. All notes should be highlighted.

Click on Midi, then Transpose, then select the number of semitones to move the midi notes. Click okay and there ya go.

Or is that what you're doing?

OK, but if I do that then every track including audio will be effected right? I was trying to do individual midi tracks.
    Styxx

Sorry, first enter the midi track you are wanting to transpose then do that. Only the notes on the midi track you are in will be highlighted.

you can also just select the midi track in the arrange window by left clicking then into the midi menu - transpose - and raise or lower by the desired amount of semitones. don't use the scale correction unless you're transposing within a given scale. it took me a while to work that one out.

hope this helps a bit

mick ˇ c

Well, I took both of your advice and implemented as instructed. Both had pretty much the same effect and I did transpose to the key I needed. BUT! And that's a BIG BUT (not mine of course ) The tracks no longer are in sync. For some reason some of the notes, not all mind you, are off. It's as though the quantize went nuts. How did this effect the tempo of each track? This happened when I transposed all and when I transposed separate tracks. Weird, then again, so am I.
    Maybe I should be using Overture for this score?
    Styxx

could be an act of god, mammon, or the lightbringer himself. for my part i would advise writing in the correct key in the first place and ye should not dabble in the black art that is midi transposition nor should ye quantize lest ye and your music should lose your soul. (fiendish laughter {in brackets}).....

The song was done in the proper key and not quantized over extensively if at all. The singer can't hit the notes now. She did fine for auditions but now she is complaining, "I can't sing that low." Theatrical singers, biggest pain in my side!
    I'm working on it.
    Styxx

Styxx,

There is another way to approach this which applies playback transpose to individual tracks. No permanent editing involved!

First select a track you want to transpose. Then in the inspector, click on the track parameter tab. The top parameter is TRANSPOSE. Set this to +4 and the track will play back in the right key.

This needs to be done to each pitched midi track separately.

Hope this is useful,

Mark.
    As in music - so in life!

Thumbs up Re: Transposeing midi tracks in Cubase?

Quote Originally Posted by musomark
    Styxx,

There is another way to approach this which applies playback transpose to individual tracks. No permanent editing involved!

First select a track you want to transpose. Then in the inspector, click on the track parameter tab. The top parameter is TRANSPOSE. Set this to +4 and the track will play back in the right key.

This needs to be done to each pitched midi track separately.

Hope this is useful,

Mark.
    "Every summer we could rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight, if it's not to dear."
    This is very interesting I shall try this today. Thank you! England, ya got to love the English. Thanks again.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum