• Help

Topic: fundamentalist preachers divert their flocks from thinking about reality

Share/Bookmark

fundamentalist preachers divert their flocks from thinking about reality

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...72&ItemID=6966

Quote Originally Posted by article
    To counter the pleasure haters who benefit financially from their odium, I offer words from the philosopher Woody Allen. "Is dirty? Only if it's done right," he said.
    These modern guardians of chastity don't want the government meddling in education except to teach abstinence. The Administration funds such programs under the heading of faith-based initiatives not because they seriously reduce teen pregnancy and STDs, but because they depoliticize the population.
    For example, more than half of the rural Indiana males that Kinsey interviewed confessed to "doing it" with animals; not just sheep and cows, but pigs as well. At least they weren't dropping their seed on a barren rock, a biblical taboo.

Re: fundamentalist preachers divert their flocks from thinking about reality

It appears Saul doesn't really get it.

I won't state the obvious, so I'll see if you get it:

What do you see would be the benefits of "abstinence" education? (And by that I mean encouraging married-only .) regardless of whether it "works" or not?

Rob

Well Rob,

The answer is in your avatar. If only married people had kids then every child would have two parents and this is certainly the optimal environment in which to rear the next generation. While I would agree this is optimal, it has never been reality and the same goal can be approached without making "Dirty." is a joyful celebration of life. Why denigrate this gift from God just because God gave us the ability and desire to procreate in this wonderful way? Also why deliberately deceive people about the dangers? In the article it is pointed out that there is false information about STDs such as that HIV can be transmitted in tears.

If there's one bit of wisdom that's made it through my head in the last 50 years, it is this: The world is what you think it is. If you change your thoughts about it, your world will change. If we change our thoughts about , our experience WRT will change. So if you want better (and if half the spam I receive is any indication most of us do) then change your thinking about . Try it, you'll like it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by robh
    It appears Saul doesn't really get it.

I won't state the obvious, so I'll see if you get it:

What do you see would be the benefits of "abstinence" education? (And by that I mean encouraging married-only .) regardless of whether it "works" or not?

Rob
    What exactly did he say that wasn't factual? Every point Landau makes is dead-on accurate.

I see nothing wrong with encouraging abstinence, but if you have to tell outright lies and distort reality to do it, you're hurting more than you're helping. It does no one any good to teach them ignorance.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    What exactly did he say that wasn't factual? Every point Landau makes is dead-on accurate.
    I don't necessarily think he's got his facts messed up - just his interpretation of what a christian's view on the matter are. Granted, I know there are christians who think that way, but Landau seems to cover every christian with the same blanket. Even pantonality (Steve) as a result of my post seems to think I think is "dirty".

I see nothing wrong with encouraging abstinence, but if you have to tell outright lies and distort reality to do it, you're hurting more than you're helping. It does no one any good to teach them ignorance.
    I agree.

But the "wear a condom" education, which has been the prevalent education method, has also been guilty of teaching ignorance, for example: "Everyone is at risk" - not true if is confined to marriage.

So, Landau is being critical of the ignorance taught in abstinence education while overlooking the ignorance of "sexual freedom" (as he puts it). That's why I say he doesn't get it.

Rob

Hey Rob,

I'm glad you don't think is dirty. I would agree the article paints with a broad brush and that's unfair. But the H.L. Mencken joke in the article that someone somewhere might be having fun I've heard in reference to Lutherans. I appreciate your clarifications. It may be more helpful going forward if you explain yourself more fully the first time. Saying someone "just doesn't get it" is open to wide interpretation. I would think you would value the opportunity to be understood and use it to full effect.

On a related matter has anyone read the current Discover magazine article on testing Darwin. It seems they've been able to model evolution in digital organisms. I found the article fascinating, especially the appreciation of Creationists downloading the Avida software (http://www.krl.caltech.edu/avida/). It seems they've found only small bugs and the authors appreciate the army of Creationist bug testers that have helped him improve the model. The issue may not have hit the stands just yet. It's not the Y Chromosome issue, there's a picture of Darwin on the cover. One of the more controversial points is that the digital evolution seems to also proceed in bursts rather than a smooth progression. It's a fascinating read.

Cheers,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by pantonality
    But the H.L. Mencken joke in the article that someone somewhere might be having fun I've heard in reference to Lutherans.
    Ha, very nice. As an ELCA Lutheran and a pastor's son, I would like to quote Martin Luther... "Sin boldy"
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Go Back to forum