• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: More OT: Nostalgia Time->old crap you still have and refuse to throw out

Share/Bookmark

More OT: Nostalgia Time->old crap you still have and refuse to throw out

...or sell even though you don't use it.

Yamaha RX-15 drum machine (bought in 1985)
    Yamaha FB-01 (what's the point of selling it?)
    2 broken Kurzweil K250s (one of which used to belong to Chick Corea)
    Kurzweil 250RMX (only recently placed on my "say, I haven't used this for a couple of years now" list)
    Kurzweil 1000PX (why sell it for $100? I paid $1800 and it's still good...except that I don't use it...)
    Yamaha TX-7
    An ART tube mic preamp
    A solid-state mic pre/eq that's probably fine for live use
    Charlie Lab Digitar guitar strumming thingie that I never understood
    Panasonic SV-3700 DAT machine
    Tascam 122mk II cassette recorder
    Sequential Prophet 2002+ with the biggest-~~~ library you've ever seen
    An unbelievable collection of cables, most of them from the days when I was too stupid to buy balanced ones, but including a 24-channel balanced snake (it's all in computers now)
    A couple of unbalanced patchbays
    Several dead or should-be-dead Macs
    A bunch of computer cards - a Lucid NuBus audio card, a couple of old graphics cards, 10baseT ethernet - that kind of shyte
    An IBM PC portable from before the 286 days
    Several ridiculous storage devices (Syquest Syjets, Zip drive, USB Floppy, etc.)
    Assorted old memory chips (4MB, etc.)
    An Apple Imagewriter II
    About three huge cartons and two shelves of old verions of good software
    Alesis DM5, although it's only halfway on this list; things like Larry Seyer drums make it look silly, though. Well, in some ways. It's still a pretty cool box with excellent timing
    VSL, EWQLSO, and GPO. Just kidding.

Re: More OT: Nostalgia Time->old crap you still have and refuse to throw out

Hehehehe.
    Yeah I know what you mean although all my old crap is mainly in computers.
    I have no problem throwing or giving away old PCs though.
    But I have boxes full of old Amiga computers, Video Toasters, software etc... that I no longer use but just can't part with for some reason.

I either sold or lost my old music gear in pawn shops back in the broke days.

Here's an idea for you.

Setup all your old gear that works in a room by itself then setup your current gear (which if you're like most of us is nothing more than one or two computers, a small mixer, one keyboard controller, a pair of small powered monitors and a buttload of software instruments and samples) in a room by itself. Then whenever the computer pisses you off, if it ever does?, then go into the nastalgia room and bang around on your old stuff until the frustration wears off or you start longing for that new sample set you just got.

Cheers,
    JS

Hmm, well I still have lying about (and this is *only* keyboards/sound modules, mind you):

Prophet 600 (dead as a doornail)
    MemoryMoog (also badly unheathy but as God is my witness it shall live again!!)
    MiniMoog (unhealthy and replaced by Arturia's softsynth)
    Moog Taurus pedals (yeah, we like Moog...)
    Korg MiniKorg (hey, it was good enough for The Cars!!)
    Roland D-50
    Korg 01/W
    Yamaha CS-15 (this actually gets used all the time)
    Alesis Quadrasynth
    Yamaha CS-1x
    Ensoniq Mirage (actually my favorite controller)
    Hammond XM-1 module
    Korg EX-8000 Module
    Roland RS-9
    3 (!) Alesis D4 drum modules
    Alesis DM-Pro that BLEW UP YESTERDAY- good thing I bought Drumkit From Hell Superior )
    Roland Vintage Synth module

and the piece of resistance (so to speak):

A chopped Hammond CV organ (fuly working) that I will still give free to anyone who shows up with a truck to take it.

Nick's list is better though, just for the multiple Kurzweils

What's the one piece of gear you still wake up kicking yourself for selling? For me it was a Moog Sonic 6. What a cool axe- I was a turd for selling it for sure...

1. My acoustic guitar that I bought with my first ever pay.

2. Darklands - its a game that ran on a 386, 10 floppies to install a 16mb game! I just cant throw it out!!
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    What's the one piece of gear you still wake up kicking yourself for selling?
    My Roland Dimension D. Running a PCM60 through it created the coolest moving reverbs I've ever heard. Unfortunately it was worth too much and used too seldom for me to keep it.

And Nick, what's wrong with Zip drives? I still find them indispensable as floppy replacements on my sneaker-net! They do get some funny looks from my clients, though.

Nothing's wrong with Zip drives. Nothing's wrong with half that stuff.

I bid $50 for the lot.
    My point exactly.

I still have my Fostex four-track, of which track three is broken, so its now a three-track, and the power supply only works if the cord in the back is pulled to the left forcing it to connect and the plastic flap that is supposed to hold the cassette in busted off years ago.

But after writing 60 songs on it as a youth, I can't bare to throw it away.
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

I still have a Yamaha DX7S which I don't think I've touched in almost 10 years. And an Ensoniq ESQ-M which I bought second hand and have never used!

I also still have my first violin, which my parents bought for me when I was 10. I don't even remember when I played it last, but I can't bring myself to sell it!

And a Fostex 4-track cassette recorder which still works, as far as I know.

Probably a bunch of other stuff that I can't even think of.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

How about a MOTU Midi Express PC midi interface (including an ISA card),
    Akai CD3000 sampler (originally $3100),
    100MB Zip Drive,
    Tascam DA-30 dat machine,
    Atari 1040ST computer,
    C-Lab Notator and Unitor,
    Dr.T's KCS,
    Band in a Box 5.0 for Atari,
    a 2" reel of analog tape, a 1/2" reel, a bunch of 1/4" reels,
    4 track cassette porta studio,
    and last but certainly not least.... the IVL Pitchrider.

I keep a lot of keyboards and rackmount synths because they show well for clients. It's amazing how many producers or directors used to play in bands and will exclaim, "Is that a Farfisa?!?" Or Hammond B3, Minimoog, Rhodes, Vox Continental, Juno 60, Hohner Clavinet, Prophet 5 or whatever. I never use any of them, but they don't need to know that!

The rackmount synths are all in a wall over my MIDI controller keyboard and give that "Mad scientist who needs all this equipment to get that BIG sound!" look. I had a client who thought I charged too much. She came into my studio for the first time and approvingly said, "Oh, now I see why your rates are so high." What a racket!

I rarely use even the rackmount stuff nowadays and it's gotten to the point where I decide placement in racks based on which colors look best next to each other! I guess I have to admit I've lost all pride whatsoever!

But the truly questionable stuff is in the storage room. Not cool enough to impress anyone or use, but I can't bring myself to get rid of:

An Orban stereo rackmout SPRING reverb
    A Doctor Click - pre MIDI
    JL Cooper MixMate - 8 channels of outboard automation. Even new, I never got it to work
    Fostex Synch boxes: 4010, 4011, 4030 and 4035
    Opcode MIDI interfaces - LOTS of them!
    Prophet 2002+ with boxes and boxes of floppies
    Lots of old computers and monitors with software still loaded . . . just in case!

Sometimes, this can pay off. I keep old NUBUS and SCSI cards, too. When I was ready to upgrade one of my systems to ProTools HD, I was prepared to turn in my MIX gear, but as I looked at the price sheet, I noticed they would accept my old Project II card! Saved me a few grand and I could keep my Mix rig, all because I saved a worthless PCI card!

- Mike

Go Back to forum