• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: freeware wave editor?

Share/Bookmark

freeware wave editor?

Any freeware wave editors out there that will run sir?

What is "windows pcm format"?

JG

Re: freeware wave editor?

Audacity might be worth giving it a shot. It has VST support, but you need to download the seperate "VST Enabler" for it. I used Audacity a couple of years ago to capture some analog tapes to computer. It was a decent program at that time. Never did any VST plugs in it though.

Windows PCM = WAV file (Microsoft Wave)

Another one worth mentioning is GoldWave:

http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

Has quite a few strong features... sometimes it can feel kind of awkward compared to more popular apps like SoundForge, but definitely gets the job done once you get the hang of it. It does support DirectX plugins, so with a VST wrapper you could run SIR with it.

As for the meaning of Windows PCM, that's the windows format for raw digital audio. PCM stands for pulse code modulation, which is the basic manner for digitizing analog soundwaves. This diagram might be helpful for visualizing the idea:

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14.../14184_139.htm

Seeing that you've been here awhile I apologize if my answer is not what you were asking for. Maybe you meant the "Big Endian" vs. "Little Endian" thing that separates Mac formats from PC? If that's what you meant, a very complete technical explanation is here:

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/WaveEdit.asp

Here's a summary from that page:

Long ago, in a country called Intellia, a microprocessor designer said, "Fa! These Motorolia engineers have made things too easy with their Big-Endian memory storage. When their processors write an integer to disk, its bytes go, one by one, in order, onto the disk. The stack fills downwards. Things work the way an assembly programmer would enjoy. We must end this!" He stopped, for a moment, contemplating evil and counterintuitive ways of writing assembly code, to ponder a way to make memory storage more difficult and confusing for the programmer. "I have it!" he cried, "we'll make the stack fill upwards, and store sequential bytes... BACKWARD! Bwahahaha!"

Well, the true story has more to do with inconvenient things called "patents", but the important thing to remember is this: big-endian systems (using Motorola chips and their descendents) store data to disk in the same byte order they're arranged in memory. If you have a short value 0x4567 and write it to disk on a big-endian system, it will be stored on disk as 0x4567. On a little-endian system (using Intel chips and their relatives), it will be stored as 0x6745. The bits of each byte are in the same order, but the order of the bytes changes.

So, is the Wave file's data stored in little-endian or big-endian format? Given that the format was put together by Microsoft and IBM, it should be no surprise that it uses little-endian format for both field and audio data.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

And if you've got the time and energy, there is a ton of music software to be discovered at http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/ both free and shareware. I think both softwares mentioned above are listed in there as well
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Yup, I've been here long enough to know the answers. But I don't! I've always wondered about the wave file thing; now I know the answer.
    Thanks, guys, this has been very useful.

JG

I've downloaded and run each of the freeware wave editors. They're not bad, but all have one drawback: no real time vst effects processing, at least not that I can find!

JG

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    Another one worth mentioning is GoldWave:

http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

Has quite a few strong features... sometimes it can feel kind of awkward compared to more popular apps like SoundForge, but definitely gets the job done once you get the hang of it. It does support DirectX plugins, so with a VST wrapper you could run SIR with it.

I second Goldwave. I've had it since version 4. Lifetime upgrades as well.
    If you have Nero or Roxio, they include wav editors.

Go to Audio-Midi and pick up Samplitude Studio 6. Very cheap for what you're getting and it includes a VST to DX wrapper and has its on convolution engine built into the program. Best 80 bucks you can spend on a audio program.

I can't actually find a wav editor on MY Nero disc, anyhow, i don't need anything fancy, 'cause all I use it for is running SIR! (and saving any desired result).

JG

Come to think of it, what about sample wrench/ would it run sir in real time?

Jg

Go Back to forum