• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Modern anthemic music: The Sixth Day

Share/Bookmark

Modern anthemic music: The Sixth Day

Hi folks,

I wrote this back in mid December for a project which now seems like it's not going to come off, so I thought I'd let you guys have a listen.

I won't say what the piece was written for, but the brief was for big anthemic music for an event.

The mainstay is of course the GPO. Also used were VOTA, LOP, bunch of analog samples, Kontakt, PureGuitars, pianos from A90-VERD1, SonicImplants Afro-Caribbean and probably some other stuff I forgot. Needless to say the machines were 'struggling' :-)

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't forward this piece around. The link is below. The username is 'music' and the password is 'listen2me'.

Play loud and enjoy :-)

John Hawksley - The Sixth Day

All the best, fellow GPO'ers, hope you like it;

-John

[Edit] PS - sorry it's so big at 7-odd MB, -- it's the final production version so it's at max quality 256 kbps with a bunch of custom encoding options. It's worth the time

Re: Modern anthemic music: The Sixth Day

Very enjoyable and impressive! Hope you find a use for this after all. Of course I don't know the intended use, but I was kind of expecting another crescendo at the end rather than a fade-out.

I really want to listen to it - but can't. The file must be too big...

Now, this is a very professional sounding work. Nice job. Where did you get the choral sounds?
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Unhappy Re: Modern anthemic music: The Sixth Day

Tried to listen to your piece - but kept coming to a password pop-up
    As in music - so in life!

Quote Originally Posted by musomark
    Tried to listen to your piece - but kept coming to a password pop-up
    Hi Mark - yeah, the username and password are given in the post at the top ;-) they're 'music' and 'listen2me' :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    Now, this is a very professional sounding work. Nice job. Where did you get the choral sounds?
    Hello Foster, thanks for the listen, much appreciated! The choral sounds are from the Apocalypse library. Yeah, I have no savings - basically my take-home from the day job goes into my hobby, music :-)

-John

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    Very enjoyable and impressive! Hope you find a use for this after all. Of course I don't know the intended use, but I was kind of expecting another crescendo at the end rather than a fade-out.
    Hey Dan; thanks very much! It's not off the table completely that it'll get used, just very unlikely now ;-) Well we'll see. I wondered about the ending too, I normally don't like fade outs, they're too easy. Still undecided in this case :-) I wanted to try to tie everything up, which is why the piano/brass theme back in from the start, and the hip-hop kit groove from the middle bit.

Thanks for having a listen!

-John

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    Heh, I think my computer would have stumbled to a halt, crashed, died, then exploded and taken out the apartment complex.

I really like the sound of the PureGuitars - very clean sounding, and as always I love your percussion parts. I'll only feel slightly envious and cowed knowing your background in percussion.

Clean and bright sounding - now to go wrestle mine from the muddy grime! *laughs*

Thanks for sharing!
    Hey neo, you're very welcome. Yeah, as you know the percussion is one of my fave parts to do! I had big problems with MIDI sync on this one; and eventually went and bought the new MidiOverLanCP version which seems to lock up the timing really tight. Much tighter than the previous version. Yeah there was smoke coming out of the machines :-)

Hey, I had a listen to your piece - comments are in the thread..

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    Hi Mark - yeah, the username and password are given in the post at the top ;-) they're 'music' and 'listen2me' :-)
    Sorry John,

I was being too eager and not reading the instructions

I'm glad I got to listen to it in the end - you guys set such a high standard. I guess I'll just have to keep working to raise my own

I personally loved the ending - sounds like to opening of a film were the music fades under the start of the first scene.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark
    As in music - so in life!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast