• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rock/Pop Samples

Share/Bookmark

Rock/Pop Samples

Hi all,

I've been wanting to start sampling my rock/pop/jazz fusion stuff for a while now. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start, so I figured I'd come to all of you to see what you think.

I'm basically looking to start out with the basics:

A good all-around drum library. Unforunately I don't know a lot about the different sorts: Session, studio, etc. etc. Can someone solve this mystery and recommend a library that can cover all my bases?

Similarly, a good electric bass library. I have heard a demo of Scarbee bass (I think that's it, right?) and it sounds amazing. I seem to remember reading somewhere about it not working well with GS? I dunno, though. Have any of you gone with this? What do you think, and what else should I look into?

Finally, a good electric guitar. And acoustic while I'm at it, I guess. This is tough, because I know there are a lot of guitar sounds out there. The best way I can describe it is a jazz guitar, perhaps? If anyone knows of the group "Fourplay", they'll know the type of sound I am talking about. Maybe even a harder, crunchier sound, but not the heavy stuff. Not yet.

ANY advice on this stuff is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading, all, and I look forward to your advice.

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: Rock/Pop Samples

For drums you may want to check out Scarbee’s Imperial Drums. I don’t know about GS compatibility tho. Other contenders are Larry Seyer’s Acoustic Drums (comes in GS format) from www.larryseyer.com , BFD from www.fxpansion.com and DFH Superior from www.toontrack.com . The last two are VSTi:s so they don’t require a softsampler.

Something else to consider if you’re not into programming your own drum tracks is Stylus RMX from www.spectrasonics.net . It’s an amazing VSTi that makes working with loops very flexible - it can even make musically useful variations of loops in real-time. The included loops may not be geared towards your type of music but there are expansions available from Spectrasonics that may be more to your liking. Stylus RMX can also import loops in Rex format which are available from many sources and if you have ReCycle you can make your own Rex files from any sound file.

For bass there’s also Trilogy from www.spectrasonics.net , Majestic from www.yellowtools.com and Hardcore Bass from www.soundsonline.com (might be a little too hardcore for your type of music tho). All three are VSTi:s. YellowTools also have a nice acoustic guitar library, Pure Guitars.

For electric guitars you don’t want to miss the current Vintaudio group buy which has a couple of days left:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27940

Basically, you get all three Vintaudio libraries (Yamaha C7 grand, upright pianos and guitars) for $65. Even if you’re not interested in the pianos it’s still an incredible deal (the normal asking price for the guitar library alone is $134,95). You can check out some mp3 demos of the guitars here:

www.vintaudio.com/GCEG%20Demos.htm

If you’re on a budget you might want to check out www.realsamples.de . They have nice-sounding drums, bass and guitar libraries at very reasonable prices.

/Yoss

Hi Steve,

I basically work with pop and jazz. My Demos can be found on the Bardstownaudio's Mp3 page here: http://bardstownaudio.com/frames/mp3.html

I would highly recommend Kip's Imperial Grand Borsendorfer (comes in so many formats including 24bit as the prime instrument for all of your virtual scoring. His 24/7 customer support is always there for you along with his expertise.

Before buying any sample, listen to them all and then decide.

the very best in what you choose.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Alan and Yoss,
    Thanks so much for your replies. Yoss, the recommendations you gave are great. I am particularly interested in the Larry Seyer stuff, as it's really suited for the styles I want to produce. I'm a little overwhelmed by all of these kits! Is the library easy to figure out? I'm hoping I'll be able to use it and to do what I want with it. How are sampled drums usually done? Do you guys play them in live via the keyboard on one take, or do you layer it all? Also, the VintAudio stuff is great, too! Definitely looking at that group buy.

Is Scarbee the only bass library that isn't a VST? I really hope it works with GS3. The more I hear of it, the more I like it. Don't know a lot about how to use VST's and so I think I might want to stay away from them for now...

Alan, thanks for your advice. I really do like the Bosendorfer Imperial stuff. I remember listening to that stuff a while back and being blown away by it. What do you prefer for bass, drums, electric and acoustic guitars?

Also, to you both, and anyone else, I'm interested in a Rhodes piano sound, too. The classic distorted sound as well as the regular sound. Is there a good library out there for this?

Thanks,

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    Alan and Yoss,
    Thanks so much for your replies. Yoss, the recommendations you gave are great. I am particularly interested in the Larry Seyer stuff, as it's really suited for the styles I want to produce. I'm a little overwhelmed by all of these kits! Is the library easy to figure out? I'm hoping I'll be able to use it and to do what I want with it. How are sampled drums usually done? Do you guys play them in live via the keyboard on one take, or do you layer it all? Also, the VintAudio stuff is great, too! Definitely looking at that group buy.

Is Scarbee the only bass library that isn't a VST? I really hope it works with GS3. The more I hear of it, the more I like it. Don't know a lot about how to use VST's and so I think I might want to stay away from them for now...

Alan, thanks for your advice. I really do like the Bosendorfer Imperial stuff. I remember listening to that stuff a while back and being blown away by it. What do you prefer for bass, drums, electric and acoustic guitars?

Also, to you both, and anyone else, I'm interested in a Rhodes piano sound, too. The classic distorted sound as well as the regular sound. Is there a good library out there for this?

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve,

The "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" library is easy to figure out and use...

Don't let the number of drum kits intimidate you... It's really easy to find the drum kit that you are looking for.

Just load the "Audition Drum Kits" file... Play a key... listen... push the MOD wheel... load the kit... You're done... It's that easy.

Go ahead and download the manual from the website ( http://www.larryseyer.com ) to find out more about how to use the audition files.

The free online manual will explain in more detail how the library is used.

As far as programming from a keyboard... this is what I do and recommend, but I know of others that prefer to program parts using a drum kat (or ddrum) setup using the MIDI outs from the drum pad triggers.

The drum library will accept both... it's your choice.

But if you don't want to program anything, there are 1,444 MIDI files designed for the library which are included for you to use... (just drag and drop them into your sequencer and you have an instant drummer that sounds real).

Best to you!

Larry Seyer
    http://www.larryseyer.com
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Larry,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Just to let you know, your answers along with further reading of the the material you provided (as well as more listening to the demos on your site!) has more than convinced me. Your drums are the best I've heard, and I'll be buying them as soon as I can.

Thanks so much for all you've done with this,

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Also, the VintAudio stuff is great, too! Definitely looking at that group buy.
    Don’t take too long tho, last day today!

The basses from www.realsamples.de are available for GS. There are also older libraries in Akai format like Bass Legends from Spectrasonics. Using VSTi:s isn’t at all complicated. The only down-side I can think of is that it’s really easy to get hooked on them and find yourself wearing out your credit card.

Scarbee has a great sampled Rhodes, the RSP 73 (available for GS) and RealSamples has one too. There’s also one from www.precisionsound.net which is available as a direct download (only HALion and Kontakt format, tho).

/Yoss

Alan and Yoss,

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I like the trilogy bass along with Sayer's bass. As for the Rhodes, it's scarbee's Rhodes all the way.. Here is a taste of it I did as a demo..

Here's a pretty Latin - Boss nova arrangement of Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Wave" I scored it for a smaller ensemble. It features Scarbee's RSP '73' Fender Rhodes, Bardstownaudio Archtop Guitar, Acoustic Bass, Motif Sax Ensemble and Drums.

http://alanrussell-music.com/Wave.MP3
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

VSTs and Bass library?

All,

I've shared both trilogy and scarbee demos with a good many people, and it's so close to call! I love the sounds of both of them for different reasons. I see that Trilogy is a VST... I have no idea what a VST is, or how it works. All I know is that I think Sonar 3 can use them.

How does a VST work? What is it? How does it work with stuff in Gigastudio? Any and all knowledge about these things would be awesome, thanks!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: VSTs and Bass library?

I see that Trilogy is a VST... I have no idea what a VST is, or how it works. All I know is that I think Sonar 3 can use them.

How does a VST work? What is it? How does it work with stuff in Gigastudio? Any and all knowledge about these things would be awesome, thanks!
    VST stands for Virtual Studio Technology. It’s a music software plugin technology which was designed by Steinberg (of Cubase fame) but has since become an industry standard. These plugins can either be FX (like reverbs, compressors, EQ etc) or instruments, in which case they’re usually referred to as VSTi:s. To use a VST or VSTi you need a host application that supports VST:s. Sonar as you mentioned is one such host but pretty much all commercial software sequencers (at least on the Windows side) support VST:s.

To use VST:s/VSTi:s is easy. Installation usually just means running a provided installer or simply placing the plugin in your VST plugins folder (which will have been created when you installed your sequencer software). How to use these plugins within your specific sequencer application should be fully explained in the sequencer manual.

www.kvraudio.com is a great resource for all things VST/VSTi-related. You’ll find that there are plenty of free plugins available if you want to get your feet wet without spending any money. I did a quick search on KvRaudio and even found a couple of free sequencer applications which can host VST:s/VSTi:s.

Delta SP: www.pcpages.com/deltasp2002

SynthFont: www.synthfont.com

As for integration with GS I’m probably not the best person to ask as I have no first-hand experience with GS. AFAIK there are two ways to integrate GS with a sequencer on the same computer. I believe GS 3 supports ReWire which is a protocol designed by www.propellerhead.se to stream audio and Midi between different applications so if your sequencer supports ReWire that would be one way to do it. Perhaps a bit more elegant is the Giga VST Adapter from www.fx-max.com . It’s an application that will allow you to use GS as a VSTi plugin within your sequencer.

Then of course there’s the high-end option of having GS set up on a separate computer and use it pretty much as a hardware module.

I love VSTi:s (can ya tell? ) but as I’ve warned you before: there’s a definite danger of addiction.

/Yoss

Go Back to forum