• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: requests for new sample libraries??

Share/Bookmark

requests for new sample libraries??

So I have spare down time in the studio where i work.. We have some great gear, mics pres etc, and I have always wanted to create a serious sample library. I have created some successful samples of instruments that i use often but I would like to know what people would like samples of - I particuarly like characterful sounding instruments at the moment rather than pristine things with no soul. any ideas? we have several upright pianos, some kits including a real nice old gretsch kit, and some great sounding rooms. we have a lot of instruments around or available too.

thanks

Ed White

Re: requests for new sample libraries??

Quote Originally Posted by edwhite
    So I have spare down time in the studio where i work.. We have some great gear, mics pres etc, and I have always wanted to create a serious sample library. I have created some successful samples of instruments that i use often but I would like to know what people would like samples of - I particuarly like characterful sounding instruments at the moment rather than pristine things with no soul. any ideas? we have several upright pianos, some kits including a real nice old gretsch kit, and some great sounding rooms. we have a lot of instruments around or available too.

thanks

Ed White
    a mandolin tremolo library with at least 4 velocity layers controlled via modwheel. I could careless about the single note plucks, I just like blending the tremolos with other instruments for expression. It would be cool to have solo and ensemble's with release trails.

Rick

Thumbs up Re: requests for new sample libraries??

Ed,

I need the drum kit from "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard. Most drum kits today sound like an apology ; )

Darren

Clarinet, really well done, and sold by itself without other instruments.

Smile Re: requests for new sample libraries??

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    The obvious stuff has already been covered multiple times with great sophistication. It's difficult to come up with something truly unique that would capture peoples' imaginations.

I don't know where you'd find one, but one instrument that I don't think has been sampled adequately (if at all) is the Ondes Martenot.

Some of the old Hammond products besides the B-3 (like the SoloVox) might also be interesting. How about some of the cheesy home organs of yesteryear (including their funky rhythm boxes)? Magnus chord organ? Autoharp? Cordovox? A big collection of musical children's toys? Theremin efx and phrases? Comprehensive ham-bone loop library? Tap dancing library? A huge wind chime library? Car horns through the ages?

Maybe a detailed Sitar library with the depth that VSL would put into it if they were to tackle the project.

Has an enormous theater organ been captured with the same quality and detail as the Notre Dame de Budapest library? How about all the pipes and efx from a classic Merry-Go-Round? Steam calliope from a river boat?

Lee Blaske
    Poor Ed's thinking "How am I gonna get that River Boat in the studio? And what if it's mic technique sucks? What if it has a diva attitude and doesn't get along with the monster pipe organ? I was hopin' some one was gonna suggest a few guitar strums!"

; )

Darren

Some of the old Hammond products besides the B-3 (like the SoloVox) might also be interesting
    The Hammond Novachord would be a VERY cool lib. I helped clean up some recordings made in the thirties of a masterful player, he made it sound like a late 20s film score, with those doo-wacka trumpets. They're hard to come by, but not impossible. Probably need to be sampled in place, though, the thing is a monster (150 tubes?)

Check it out at the Novachord site or Google it to get additional info.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I would love some really heavy Korn like guitar chords and patterns in different tempos and loop lenghts. There already is a library called Nu Metal which has this type of sound, but it has a lot of restrictions on how it's used that makes it less appealing to me, plus more is better!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

These come to mind:

1) Another harp library? Maybe we don't need it. VSL has one. Gary Garritan has (or had) one.. maybe it needs updating. I wonder if Kirk Hunter will do a harp library?

2) How about a Hurdy Gurdy?

David

"I would love some really heavy Korn like guitar chords and patterns in different tempos and loop lenghts. There already is a library called Nu Metal which has this type of sound, but it has a lot of restrictions on how it's used that makes it less appealing to me, plus more is better!"

I vote for this too. I think of it as an expanded Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition with emphasis on heavy rhythm guitars, with lots of options of chugs, different chords, different inversions, as well as scrapes, squeels, divebombs, harmonics, etc.

A quality heavy lead guitar would be great. I know VSL has an expensive one and Slayer 2 is an inexpensive alternative (in addition to running clean electric guitars through an amp sim), but it is an area where I would like to see more options too.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Pedal Steel Guitar with all the major tunings.

I know this would be difficult to pull off with sampling given the volume control, floor pedals, knee lever, slide and finger picking but it would be nice to have.
    Perhaps something like Synful technology would be better suited to this kind of instrument.

Also just a regular slide guitar would be nice also. This would not require the pedals. But it seems it would still be hard to pull off well.

Maybe the champagne glass sound. You know where the crystal has different amounts of water in it to tune and you rub your finger around the edge to create the sound.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Cheers,
    JS

Go Back to forum