• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Sequencer for Film and Video?

Share/Bookmark

Best Sequencer for Film and Video?

Hi All,

I am a PC User and I am currently using Pro Tools LE. I work primarily with Film and Video and GPO. What is my best sequencer option?

Is the new Sonar my best bet?

Lee

Re: Best Sequencer for Film and Video?

Quote Originally Posted by CCreations
    Hi All,

I am a PC User and I am currently using Pro Tools LE. I work primarily with Film and Video and GPO. What is my best sequencer option?

Is the new Sonar my best bet?

Lee
    Nuendo was developed specifically for film/television work. It's Cubase on steroids.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Nuendo is a good choice as Rob suggested. And Sonar 4 is fantastic. Also take a look at Vegas Video which was designed for Video.

The choice of a sequencer depends on how you work. They all focus on different aspects. If you can, visit some friends who have different sequencers, or go to a store, and try them all out. See which one feels and sounds right and will best fit in with your work and your work style.

Gary Garritan

Has anyone here used sonar 4 for scoring to a video? I know that you can put video into sonar, but I'm not positve how it's done and how well it works.
    Tim

Cool Re: Best Sequencer for Film and Video?

If you're not ready to shell out the bux for Nuendo or one of the higher-end sequencers which comes close to its price, you shouldn't short-change Cubase SX. I've been using SX2 with a video track to create sections of a score. (Then, the production group takes the finished WAV file and drops it in as the choose in the final process.) Music doesn't ordinary synchronize to the exact frame, so it's generally a case of "close enough".

my humble $0.02 ... KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Nuendo is a good choice as Rob suggested. And Sonar 4 is fantastic. Also take a look at Vegas Video which was designed for Video.
    I'll be the first to sing the praises of Vegas -- in fact, I just completed a video project using it (it's my NLE of choice) -- but it doesn't have sequencing capabilities.

My suggestion is that you use something like Cubase or Sonar for the production of the music. You should be able to sync it up well enough. Then, when you're done, render to a wav file and pull that into Vegas.

By the way, any of you who have a student in the family, or a spouse who works for an educational institution, there's a good chance you can get your audio/video software at a GREATLY reduced price. Vegas goes for about $700 retail, but the academic price is something like $150.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

The choice of a sequencer depends on how you work. They all focus on different aspects. If you can, visit some friends who have different sequencers, or go to a store, and try them all out. See which one feels and sounds right and will best fit in with your work and your work style.

Gary Garritan
    Sony's Vegas Video - Not only is it an excellent digital-video editor, but it's also a strong tool for mutlitrack digital-audio recording and editing as well. In fact it started out as an digital-audio recording/editing software. It doesn't do midi sequencing, though, just straight ahead audio recording. It's my understanding that a growing number of people (independent DV project producers) use Sony's ACID software for their film scoring needs. There certainly is a growing and strong following for Sony's line of audio/video products. However, ACID is mainly a loop-based recording software, but it's my understanding that it does some basic midi recording as well.

I never got into loop-based composition, so I probably won't purchase Sony's Acid program anytime soon.

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd rather write out my composition and midi-sequence it. I own Emagic's Logic 5 (Platinum version). It does a fine job as a midi-based film scoring program. (Sure do wish Emagic wasn't purchased by Apple. I felt quite abandoned when they discontinued their PC-side of the program). I also own Steinberg's SX 1.06 and (now with the most recent upgrade) SX 3.01 programs. The SX 1.06 did a fine job with some of my shorter film-scoring projects. Have not worked with the SX 3.01 yet on a film-scoring project, but the capabilities sure exists there. (Don't know, first hand, how stable SX 3.01 is with midi-based film-scoring projects). It's not like I do lots and lots of film-scoring projects, either; I don't claim to be an expert on midi-based film scoring programs. But I would recommend Emagic's Logic 5 (for the PC) and Steinberg's SX programs. They are both solid sequencing programs that seem to do a fine job with film scoring. And if you are not into sequencing your film scores, give Sony's Vegas 5 a try.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Sony Vegas 5. My oldest brother uses it exclusively after running through several others.
    Styxx

I honestly have trouble doing score work in SONAR. To my mind, I should be able to set up cue start points at anywhere in the track, starting a new tempo and meter regardless of previous measure boundaries. Haven't figured out how to do this yet, so I wind up making sub-projects, clipping out the video portion I need, scoring against that, and then rendering down the audio to sync back into the master project...

Someone *please* tell me I'm missing something simple. It's such a pain!

And yes, Vegas is a joy to use!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Lightbulb Re: Best Sequencer for Film and Video?

If you're going to look at Nuendo, I'd highly recommend that you do it now. The price of Nuendo 3 is moving up to $2499, but right now you can pick up a seat of Nuendo 2 for $1099 at audioMIDI.comand then upgrade to N3 for $299 - as long as you do it before February 28.

Here's a page with some video clips on the new features for Nuendo 3.

If you're not looking for something with advanced audio-for-video capabilities such as 9-pin video deck control/sync, advanced surround capabilities, and Blackmagik Decklink support, then Cubase SX 3 would be a good choice. There's a page with some of the new features demos here.

It really depends on your own demands, and the demands of those you work for/collaborate with. There are lots of good programs out there. Good luck.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum