• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi Controller??

Share/Bookmark

Midi Controller??

Since I have no mod wheel on my main keyboard, I've been using an old synth stacked to the side and chained to the main keyboard.

Needless to say, I'd rather have a basic midi controller. I found this one, which is specifically made for DJ's, but it looks to me like it would work fine with GPO and my keyboard. Am I wrong?

http://floridamusicco.com/xsession.htm

If anyone thinks they need to talk me out of this, let me know.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Re: Midi Controller??

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    <edit>...Needless to say, I'd rather have a basic midi controller. I found this one, which is specifically made for DJ's, but it looks to me like it would work fine with GPO and my keyboard. Am I wrong?
    http://floridamusicco.com/xsession.htm

If anyone thinks they need to talk me out of this, let me know.
    It might be the cat's meow.
    I owned an Evolution midi controller once (mk 125, I think). I liked its durability, but I hated that the memory was volatile. It was a pain in the b_tt to have to redo my custom assignments every time I powered it on.

My advice is to research whatever you buy and make sure that it has retainable memory for custom assignments.
    -Rudy

It claims to have 10 memory locations for storing sessions. So I assume they hold on power off.

Then again, maybe I'm better off just buying an Oxygen 8 for twenty bucks more...
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

It claims to have 10 memory locations for storing sessions. So I assume they hold on power off.

Then again, maybe I'm better off just buying an Oxygen 8 for twenty bucks more...
    My advice: always visit the manufacturer's web site (their tech support section) and try to discern what, if any, complaints have been made about the product. Research product reviews from Keyboard magazine/Electronic Musician/Remix, etc (search their archives on the web).
    -Rudy

I use the UC-16, which is similar to the one you are looking at without the slider. I have had no problems with losing presets. Mine has 4 presets, one I use for GPO, one for Halion, and I can't think of anything to use the other 2 for.

Having all those knobs means you can tweak all 8 of Kontakt Player's parameter knobs while playing as well as assigning other knobs to other midi control codes.

From the link above: X-Session has 10 memory locations for storing your settings. These are non-volatile too, so everything is saved even when the unit is powered off.

Maybe I will get one, or maybe the Oxygen 8, which has just lately come to my attention. I can see some good use of the tiny keyboard of the Oxygen 8.

Richard

M audio has the O2 coming out replacing the oxygen 8...also
    check the Novation Remote 25 for a LOT of controls including touchpad and
    x-y

Quote Originally Posted by moosethree
    M audio has the O2 coming out replacing the oxygen 8...also
    check the Novation Remote 25 for a LOT of controls including touchpad and
    x-y
    I would highly recommend the Berhinger BCF2000. For the money it is excellent. About 200.00 However, if you need some keys as well, this is only a a desktop controller with 8 powered sliders, and a plethora of assignable buttons and rotary nobs.

I am using it for all my soft synths and the Sonar sequencer. It allows for 32 user definable setups and it has a librarian so you can have even more.

Regards,

Trankonia

To Richard and Rob
    Please go to a shop and try out the Oxygen 8 before you buy it. This is one of the keyboards I could never get used to. I'm using the Remote 25 now and know why its more expensive...
    rené

Quote Originally Posted by fmfgs
    To Richard and Rob
    Please go to a shop and try out the Oxygen 8 before you buy it. This is one of the keyboards I could never get used to. I'm using the Remote 25 now and know why its more expensive...
    rené
    My son has an Oxygen 8 that I borrowed last night. Whatever anyone ends up using, don't use the USB power. It caused all kinds of crackling in my system. Big mistake.

Other than that, it seems fine, although I have absolutely no use for the keyboard portion of it, and it seems to get in the way a bit.

Which is why I'm leaning toward the UC-17. As for the Behringer, the one review of it I can find at zZounds.com says it's a cheap piece of junk. I take what he says with a grain of salt, of course, but can't discount it completely, especially since it costs twice the amount of the UC-17.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

Go Back to forum