• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 "uninstall/reinstall" question(s)?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 "uninstall/reinstall" question(s)?

o.k., looks like my "GS3 rescanning for midi ports" question is going to go begging. So let me try it this way.
    I'm guessing that totally re-installing may "force" GS3 to re-scan for midi ports. So, how complicated is a re-install? Will it require new CD-keys, reg. #'s, etc. from Tascam and how does my "backup" registration figure in? Need I locate it ahead of time? And, will I first "un-install" GS3 (or just trash it), then re-install?
    thanks in advance,

bill myers
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Re: GS3 "uninstall/reinstall" question(s)?

As long as your system hardware is the same, you can uninstall and re-install GS3 with the same registration info. Make sure to do a backup of your registration to a known location. Then run GigaClean from the installation DVD. Then re-install.

I hope it solves the problem.

-JF

Yes, know which folder you have your backup registration info. Uninstall GS3 and run GigaClean (found on the Giga DVD disc).

BUT, to make a completely new install, you also have to - before reinstalling GS3 -delete files according to this document: http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/clean-uninstall-xp-2K.pdf . Seems strange that an uninstallation leaves behind so much garbage that you have to clean it up manually afterwards...

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allmoge
    Yes, know which folder you have your backup registration info. Uninstall GS3 and run GigaClean (found on the Giga DVD disc).

BUT, to make a completely new install, you also have to - before reinstalling GS3 -delete files according to this document: http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/clean-uninstall-xp-2K.pdf . Seems strange that an uninstallation leaves behind so much garbage that you have to clean it up manually afterwards...

Cheers,

Chris
    I could be wrong but I think this is what the 'gigaclean.exe' does.

1. RUn gigaclean
    2. Install giga 3
    3. When prompted - use 'restore registration' (it will allow you to direct to the backup registering you previously did.)
    4. update to 3.04

(I have done this after I got a corrupted file (as told to me by Tascam Tech). No problems since.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    I could be wrong but I think this is what the 'gigaclean.exe' does.

Rob
    Well, it should, but it doesn't. GigaClean seems to delete the Registry entries, but does not delete (all of the) giga-associated files in e.g. the Windows/system32 folder. At least not on my computer it didn't...see http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29056

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Jon, Chris & Rob,

many thanks to all for your quick responses. good news is that I was able to do a GigaClean & reinstall with absolutley no hassles. bad news is that it didn't give me the desired resuly, i.e. Giga still only "sees" midi ports 1-8. I'm thinking now that it's a Windows issue, in that Windows is only seeing ports 1-8 and reporting that to Giga. Hmmm...
    By the way, I tried doing the manual trashing of the files listed in Tascam's file deletion addendum and found most of them to be locked (and untrashable).

Anyway, it's up and running, so thanks again

bill myers, composer
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Go Back to forum