• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO and Synful Clarinet.....amazing

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Synful Clarinet.....amazing

I tell you guys and ga....Danielle!....it's amazing times we live in......

Just listen to this from ybacuo!!! This just shows how stunning GPO can sound with minimal manipulation from a quantised MIDI file straight off the Internet.......the same goes for the solo clarinet.....exciting times indeed.....

Frank

Posted: 01-01-2005, 04:43 PM | | Quote
    Here is another quick and dirty demo, this time featuring the Synful Clarinet which is allowed to shine over a GMish (from the lack of sequencing!) GPO Orchestra: (Frank....I actually think that GPO easily holds its own under the circumstances!! )

Synful Clarinet Solo from Spohr's Clarinet Concerto
    http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=421

Original midi file done by R. Bakels and hosted by www.classical archives.com

I am absolutely amazed. The original midi file is virtually completely quantized with a flat velocity profile. I only added a slight velocity variation throughout. Clearly, Synful does an impressive performance in exceedingly difficult fast passages. What amazing technology.

Almost no effort was done to improve the midi file, except for some automaticish algorithmic ones described here http://www.northernsounds.com/forum...ead.php?t=28578
    A generic Haydn pulse (strong-weak-less weak-string) was applied throughout.

Other Synful (Syn...) and GPO demos at ybacuo.wusik.com

YBaCuO

Re: GPO and Synful Clarinet.....amazing

To my ears, the clarinet although having the touch of real timbre, it would benefit by some sort of editing to give it more expression. Seems quite boastful and too much in your face!
    The rest of the instrumentation sounds fine. But, the contrast is deafening between the solo and the ensemble.
    Just my personal assessment.
    Styxx

I can't disagree with either of you. It was the fact that you could just take a quantised file and turn out something that was pretty decent which caught my ear! The techniques have to be useful for those who want to play something, which sounds reasonable, straight out of a notation programme, without tweaking. After all, YBaCuo's approach is only another step along from the humaniser which Gary already endorses for enhancing the output of the notation programmes.

Me? I'm a tweaker so can't disagree with Danielle. Still if I wanted to do an emulation of an existing classic I might be tempted to let these utitilities do some of the leg work and let me do the personalising tweaking.

It would be sad, if one day we didn't have to add anything to a quantised file in order to produce an emulation.....still that's 'progress'?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    I tell you guys and ga....Danielle!....it's amazing times we live in......
    I am absolutely amazed. The original midi file is virtually completely quantized with a flat velocity profile. I only added a slight velocity variation throughout. Clearly, Synful does an impressive performance in exceedingly difficult fast passages. What amazing technology.

|
    I am just listening to the file, and, I am sorry about it, but I had the urge to give my opinion about this clarinet interpretation. I can imagine how the original quantized MIDI file does sound, but IMHO the Synful adapt is not a success at all. No good clarinet player would phrase like this. The homogenity between the different registers is not convincing. Also the dequantizing seams to be kind of to much random and not following musical, organic and rythmical rules. The sound of the clarinet does not really sound that natural, at least for my ears. I am also not really that impressed by the fast passages, they sound more like a player after about two years of lessons, to me. I am sorry that I can not share your enthousiasme, I would really like to be able to do it.

iwan
    http://www.iwanroth-sax.com

While I'm not thrilled with the example posted, I have to say that the performances on the synful site: http://www.synful.com are pretty amazing sounding.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

I'd suggest that if you're interested in carefully checking out Synful, download the demo. There's one demo midi--the Beethoven quartet. Load it into your own sequencer and play with it.

I cloned it and, with a few necessary tweaks, converted the demo to work with GPO. Do this and compare the two side-by-side.

In my opinion, the Synful violin is quite expressive, but to my taste has an almost hyper-real graininess to it. I hear the same thing in the clarinet above. I wasn't able with GPO to get the astonishingly present attack that the Synful has--the close-miked sound. But to my ear, GPO's solo strings sound otherwise more refined.

I think Synful is on to something here but I think it needs some refinement.
    Bill

I listened to the fourth demo on Synful site ("Hari-Hara"). It sounds really good but, in my opinion, nothing one cannot get from GPO out of the box and a little (but not strictly necessary) Midi editing. Solo Woodwinds in GPO, for example, are really well done and refined (I love GPO Flute, it's so expressive), and perhaps I could say that the "weakest" patches in GPO are the solo strings (specially the Viola). But I guess that adding a good library of physically modeled Stradivarius (as I read in Garritan's homepage), GPO will give the musicians many years of enjoyment and creativity. Am I wrong?

China

Quote Originally Posted by Chinablu
    I listened to the fourth demo on Synful site ("Hari-Hara"). It sounds really good but, in my opinion, nothing one cannot get from GPO out of the box and a little (but not strictly necessary) Midi editing. Solo Woodwinds in GPO, for example, are really well done and refined (I love GPO Flute, it's so expressive), and perhaps I could say that the "weakest" patches in GPO are the solo strings (specially the Viola). But I guess that adding a good library of physically modeled Stradivarius (as I read in Garritan's homepage), GPO will give the musicians many years of enjoyment and creativity. Am I wrong?

China
    Hari har har
    Personally, I thought that piece sounded awful. Can not understand why they included it. An awful lot of work went into the Beet. S.Q. (love that piece -- but a weird performance from a violinists point of view I am sure) whereas H-H just sounded old time synthy to me. Indicated to me that a lot of work was required to get that S.Q. going along.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Berg
    Hari har har
    Personally, I thought that piece sounded awful.
    Let's say it another way: to me, Hari Hara is not one of the worst sampler performances I ever heard although I would not spend 500 USD to play Hari Hara (as I said, I'm quite sure GPO can satisfactorly, and possibly better, render that piece). But Synful, if I did not misunderstood, varies the harmonic colour as loudness increases or decrease, and this is the most interesting part of "realism" to me. Maybe one can emulate this with GPO in Logic (or Cubase) EQ by assigning the cutoff frequency to CC1: the higher the value of CC1, the higher cutoff. Could it works?

I downloaded Synful today and produced a couple good doodles with it...

A violin solo:
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...lin%20Demo.mp3

And a trumpet solo:

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...pet%20Demo.mp3

(BTW I know the Stravinsky has wrong notes; I was desperately trying to remember basically how that trumpet solo went!!)

Anyway, there's definitely someting up with this technology.
    I literally can not wait to see what happens at the big expo at the end of the month. Will our favorite developer be raising the bar once again??? (I'm betting "yes"...)

Go Back to forum