• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help which Seq_Sampler w/ protools

Share/Bookmark

Need help which Seq_Sampler w/ protools

Hey everyone. First time poster. And a relative newbie to the world of midi, VI's and the like. I've been scouring this forum as well as several others, and it still seems like I'm missing some pieces of the puzzle so any input would be appreciated.

I'm basically a protools guy running on PC Athlon 2.4 ghz
    I recently purchased RMX and Trilogy, and will probably be gettting Absynth and/or Atmosphere soon.
    I’m using these things in conjuction with recorded audio, so I need more than just sequencer-sampler.
    In my scouring of the net for info, I seem to see little reference to people using Protools and more to people using things like Logic, cubase, gigastudio, etc....

So a couple of questions….

With software like the Sprectrasonics stuff, which sequencer do you all prefer, and how do you use that in conjuction with PT? I see very little reference on the net of people sequencing inside of PT, which leads me to believe that it…well…is not the midi sequencer of choice.

I would like to expand into adding some convincing orchestral sounds, and the system de jour seems to be GS3 + a sequencer. This seems like a huge DSP commitment, on top of using this in conjuction with a something like Protools. Any suggestions?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dylan Schiavone
    Thelon3445@aol.com

Re: Need help which Seq_Sampler w/ protools

Hello!
    I'm currently using almost all of the products you mentioned and the quick answer is to get 2 PCS...I currently use the 002 Protools on 1 dedicated PC and a second PC runs VSTack as the host with Atmosphere,Stylus RMX,Komplete 2,etc. as VST plug ins...I found this to be the most headache free,stable,best setup IF you want to run Protools....I found out over the years Protools hates almost everything you want to integrate with it and I finally gave up on it being such a beast about a year ago and I won't even spend the time trying anymore...It's coming along with the VST wrapper, and it is possible to run alot of these vsti's within it so I've READ...I've also had trouble with the latest GS3 as a VST plugin so I'm not exactly praising it to anyone...If your doing orchestral, or you need a very detailed piano then yes, it's hands down the best sampler but if your doing pop/rock/hip hop/etc. type music then Kontakt will be fine...I had no troubles getting it to work within the VST environment.....Lately I've been contemplating checking out Cubase SX seriously for a few reasons but with Protools I find 2 PCs works best cpu power and integration wise....

Thanks Moonmusic for the response. I was hoping to have to avoid using a 2nd pc, but it seems to be an innevitability. By the end of a typical session, I'm usually approaching my dsp limit, and this is without rmx which I haven't really used in any projects yet. So farming all that stuff out to a 2nd pc is starting to make more and more sense.

Komplete2....very interesting. I was going to purchase Absynth3 anyway and I guess it doesn't suck to have all those extra goodies bundled with it.

So now....with Kontact as my sampler, I'm still left with the question of what sequencer to use. What are you using?

Also, what strings? Although I'll be using it for pop/rock, I still would like the flexibility of having real sounding strings. I was looking at Garritans Orchestral Library, which supposedly kinda works in Kontact but is really designed for Gigastudio. I've heard of a Kontakt version in the works (anyone hear of a release date?)
    I've checked out VSL and EWQL (gold) which are both Kontakt compatible, but it seems like an awful lot of bread to dish out for something that's only 16bit.....(not talking about the more expensive 24bit platinum version)

Thanks for your help!

Dylan Schiavone
    thelon3445@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by DylanGuitar. By the end of a typical session, I'm usually approaching my dsp limit, and this is without rmx which I haven't really used in any projects yet.

Komplete2....very interesting. I was going to purchase Absynth3 anyway and I guess it doesn't suck to have all those extra goodies bundled with it.

So now....with Kontact as my sampler, I'm still left with the question of what sequencer to use. What are you using?

Also, what strings? Although I'll be using it for pop/rock, I still would like the flexibility of having real sounding strings. I was looking at Garritans Orchestral Library, which supposedly kinda works in Kontact but is really designed for Gigastudio. I've heard of a Kontakt version in the works (anyone hear of a release date?)

[email
    thelon3445@aol.com[/email]
    Yes, a second PC would definately help with DSP...You'll find out RMX is a DSP killer BUT it's worth it...I'll describe a typical session to maybe give you a little insight on the way I work...I use the Protools PC for sequencing and audio recording...The other PC is my Virtual Synthesizer/Sampler...Obviously the 002 is the soundcard midi device on the PTPC and I use a Tascam US122 on the VSTPC...I also use a Fantom S-88 as a keyboard/controller....I hook the midi IN/OUT of the keyboard to the IN/OUT 002 port 1 and then I come out of the second midi port of the 002 port 2 and hook that into the US122 midi IN...A protools session will record on any midi channel so you really don't have to change that...You DO have to change the midi send channel (located in the mix console display) digidesign port 1 channel 1-16 sends the sequenced data to the keyboard and digidesign port 2 channel 1-16 sends the sequence data to the second PC which is the VSTPC...Follow?...What's nice about this setup is when your sequencing it doesn't put much strain on the PTPC...If your VSTPC starts getting a pretty good load on it...You just open a stereo audio track in Protools and bounce the audio over into the PTPC...Now you can save the session in your VSTPC and start a new project from scratch (remember to mute the midi tracks in PT you were sending to the VSTPC so they don't send the midi data to your new sounds your using)...Now you have 1 stereo track and just sequenced data in PT and an empty VSTPC ready to fill up again...As far as Gigastudio and Kontakt...I used to use Gigastudio and I actually updated to GS3 Ensemble but I don't like how it works as a vst plugin...Kontakt is much friendlier IMO...I was able to flawlessly convert all of my Giga files into Kontakt format right within the Kontakt program itself with no extra software...BE WARNED though this was GS2 files and not the new GS3 files...It will not do GS3 files at this point...SO if there is a certain sample library you want in Gigastudio GS2 format it should convert into Kontakt no problem...As far as samples goes, You'll have to ask someone else because I don't own any of the string series....Hope this helps...Moon

Thanks moon. This helps alot.
    Probably for now, I'll hold off on the strings until I get more info (and cash), and just get the 2pc setup happening.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!

Take care,

Dylan

Go Back to forum