• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Life of C.S. Lewis - Series to Use GPO

Share/Bookmark

The Life of C.S. Lewis - Series to Use GPO

Be sure to tune in to watch "The Life of C.S. Lewis” on 'Day of Discovery' which airs on the PAX Network on Sunday mornings at 7:30. John Daniels has composed the music for a 4-part TV series based on the life of C.S. Lewis and uses GPO extensively. Here are the dates and subjects:
    "The Life of C.S. Lewis: The Making of a Mind" airs on January 2, 2005.
    "The Life of C.S. Lewis: The Reluctant Convert" airs on January 9, 2005.
    "The Life of C.S. Lewis: The Widening Circle" airs on January 16, 2005.
    "The Life of C.S. Lewis: Joy and Beyond" airs on January 23, 2005.
    C.S. Lewis' is one of the best-selling and most influential authors of the 20th century and his works have influenced so many people. His sci-fi trilogy: Perelandra, his childrens books, the Screwtape Letters, and other works have become classics (and are some of my favorites)..

This series is the first John has used GPO on. John writes: "The four programmes on the life of C.S. Lewis feature the 'GPO' sounds specifically.... The 4th programme centers on his marriage, his wife's illness & death and musically was probably my avourite to do in terms of the range of emotions (and one that the GPO really shines on). They interview people who knew both him and his wife, and aside from my interest in the script music-wise, it was great to see the insight that these people gave on him.... Thanks again for the amazing resource you've put in the GPO package (the update I downloaded recently was very welcome). Yours sincerely, John Daniels."

Thanks John for letting us know about this series and all the best with the show.

Gary Garritan

Re: The Life of C.S. Lewis - Series to Use GPO

Boy, I sure would like to hear this!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Boy, I sure would like to hear this!

Jonny
    I heard it and was very impressed. John did an excellent job of weaving the music into the documentary.

For those interested, Day of Discovery is offering a FREE video of the entire four part series at http://www.dodresource.org

Gary Garritan

Hey Gary,
    I LOVE Lewis (I'm in the middle of "Problem with Pain") and would like to hear GPO on the tapes. I tried your link but it's not working. Any other ways to contact them? Thanks!
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by joshj
    Hey Gary,
    I LOVE Lewis (I'm in the middle of "Problem with Pain") and would like to hear GPO on the tapes. I tried your link but it's not working. Any other ways to contact them? Thanks!
    Sorry about that. I fixed the link. See if it works for you now.

Gary Garritan

WOW! That's just great! Thanks a million Gary! Their server is pretty congested but I got through.

P.S. Thanks for supporting the National Sonwriting Contest too!!! I noticed you're a sponsor.
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Thumbs up Re: The Life of C.S. Lewis - Series to Use GPO

I caught all four episodes which were shown here in Hawaii at 2:30 AM on early Monday mornings (what would we do without TiVo and videotape!?). (C. S. Lewis has always been a "special person" to me for his unique blending of spirituality, morality and plain old good story-telling.)

I was struck by how truly well the music was interwoven with the telling of the story. The instrumentation and voicing and timing were simply sublime and it struck me that the more or less continuous score was wonderfully "there" and "not there" -- a very difficult quality to achieve.

Congratulations, John Daniels! (If you missed it, perhaps there will be a re-running of the series.)

KevinKauai

I am just seeing this thread for the first time I would like to have seen the shows. I am very envious of Kevin and his recording equipment
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Sadly, the series is only available in the States, but all this talk of C.S. Lewis brings back happy memories. I loved reading the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a child and when I went to university I'd often go to the church Lewis attended in Headington (and where he is buried). Ah, happy days........

josj, I also remember studying 'The problem of Pain' - an interesting work, if rather dry - more human though was his book 'A Grief Observed', especially if you read his biography 'Surprised by Joy' beforehand.

David

Yeah! Those are both excellent reads! I also looove his space trilogy!
    By the way I got those videos, and the score was done very well! GPO was a good choice for doing the cues!

Go Back to forum