• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gloria

Share/Bookmark

GPO Pop Orchestration: Gloria

Hi folks,

Not a Christmas piece but the Laura Branigan track ;-)

This is the GPO in pop mode again, along with assorted other synths, samples and outboard gear. it's a pop production so it's had the crap compressed outta it, amongst other things.

Had to move some sections around from the original to make it a bit more interesting as an instrumental.

Branigan, Arr. Hawksley - The New Studio Orchestra - Gloria.mp3

Hope you like it - just a bit of fun to bring in 2005! Happy new year all.

-John

Re: Gloria

Great arrangement,I enjoyed it very much John. I think the late Laura Branigan would have also.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredq
    Great arrangement,I enjoyed it very much John. I think the late Laura Branigan would have also.
    Hey Jaredq, that's a nice sentiment - thanks! It was always one of my favourite pieces and I'm glad to be able to sort of say thanks, in my own way.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    Holy crap! *laughs*

That's completely awesome! I always love these pop arrangements that you do.

Encore!

LOL!! Thanks man :-) I haven't felt the urge to do much music lately (day job stress) but with the long weekend I felt sufficiently mellow to do something. Glad you liked it, I love doing these pop arrangements and Gloria's a really nice piece. Lowers the tone of this forum a bit but hey! :-)

Best for 2005,

John

Great job on a great piece. I loved the Vangelis like sweeps at around 1:33.

Frank

Wow...
    What fun! What other programs did you use to accmplish this? Very nice job, it brought me back to my Roller Skating Rink days... Thanks!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Great job on a great piece. I loved the Vangelis like sweeps at around 1:33.

Frank
    Hiya Frank; Yeah, spent a few minutes with my head in the MIDI spec to work out 'portamento time' for that one. The two scales in opposing motion at the start of the piece are also synth sweeps in the original; but I didn't do them as such because I wanted to make the point at the start that you were about to hear an orchestral pop track, rather than a bolted-on-strings arrangement. :-)

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tcohen
    Wow...
    What fun! What other programs did you use to accmplish this? Very nice job, it brought me back to my Roller Skating Rink days... Thanks!

Tim
    Hi Tim! It's an interesting use of the GPO isn't it? Lots of fun (i.e. not too difficult) to do. :-) Additional to the GPO, Cubase was used to sequence the piece. Gigastudio and libraries provided the orchestral percussion and traditional band parts on another machine. The systems are linked together with MidiOverLanCP from MusicLab (this version is very solid on the timing).

Pianos (stereo grand, rhodes, bright baby grand) and synth came off a Roland A90-VERD1 master controller. Everything goes into a little Yamaha GF12/12 mixer and out to DAT, then back into WaveLab for post production. WaveLab output goes back to DAT for archive and out to mp3 for the web.

Glad you liked it :-)

-John

Go Back to forum