• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: So what's the latest thinking on sound cards?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up So what's the latest thinking on sound cards?

I don't understand it but my sblive 5.1 seems to be working ok using the asio direct full duplex driver. (May not have that name quite right, and just got GPO running) But I'm thinking I should update the card in the near future. So what's the verdict on the Audigy, or any others. Who's using them and how are they working?
    One other note - I love these sounds in GPO!
    Thanks Gary and all those involved in making this happen. Now I just have to learn how to write music!

Re: So what's the latest thinking on sound cards?

Go with the Audiophile 24/96. At its current price (I've seen it for 79 bucks) and feature set, its a bargain and it performs splendidly with GPO.

I agree with Neo. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 in my PC (came with it) and not satisfied with the performance. I'm after a new on soon myself so keep the suggestions coming in!
    Styxx

M-audio 2496 works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    M-audio 2496 works great for me.
    Appreciate the input everybody. Can you tell me if it has a optical output? I have a minidisc recorder that
    I want to send out to.

2496 .............. Nice!

Check out http://en.terratec.net and look specifically at the DMX6Fire 24/96. It's been awhile, so there might be a newer model with a slightly different model number.

I've had good success and still use the above card, along with my favorite EgoSys WamiRack24 - 8in-4out soundcard. VERY quiet, something like -107db.

Stevemitchell

I use a Tascam US-428 which is a little overkill but they also make a couple little ones too. I think the US-224 or something like that. It's USB but works really well. It also has transport controls for running my sequencer which is what I love the most. Even the little versions have this I believe. Hope this helps. The only thing I dont like is that my latency is like 46 ms I think. I'm not sure why as I'm sure that it is capable of better timing than this. However, I dont even notice it when I play my VSTi's.

Eric

I have a Echo Mia Midi. It's a good card IMO. I would have gone for the 2496, but I wanted the balaned inputs and outputs. But I definitely agree with the others about not using an Audigy as your music audio card. (You could be like me and have two audio cards in your comp. I use the Mia just for making music and the Audigy for listening, movies, and games. It's a good combo.)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    I use a Tascam US-428 which is a little overkill but they also make a couple little ones too. I think the US-224 or something like that. It's USB but works really well. It also has transport controls for running my sequencer which is what I love the most. Even the little versions have this I believe. Hope this helps. The only thing I dont like is that my latency is like 46 ms I think. I'm not sure why as I'm sure that it is capable of better timing than this. However, I dont even notice it when I play my VSTi's.

Eric
    I use one of the smaller ones. The smallest one, actually US-122. I'm very happy with it, although I must agree with the latency issue.

Anton

Go Back to forum