• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2005 Mac an slurs

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Finale 2005 Mac an slurs

Anyone know where to get a plugin for finale 05 (Mac) that will make slurs generate the correct control number 64.
    The one available on the Garritan web site is windows only.I would write my own but I do not have a clue about writing plugins.And I do not see any way to change the output of the smart playback slurs in finale.

Re: Finale 2005 Mac an slurs

Quote Originally Posted by jaredq
    Anyone know where to get a plugin for finale 05 (Mac) that will make slurs generate the correct control number 64.
    The one available on the Garritan web site is windows only.I would write my own but I do not have a clue about writing plugins.And I do not see any way to change the output of the smart playback slurs in finale.
    Hi Jaredq

If I am not mistaken, Finale 2005's Human Playback will interpret the slurs in the score (smart shape slurs) and use the legato (sustain) for them so they sound correctly slurred.

I could be wrong. Jeff Turner would know.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thanks Jerry,
    I applied the HP playback plugin to write its midi data into the file.I then examined the data in the the midi toolbox for controller 64 and did not see any.I did notice that HP extended the notes to overlap slightly for a simulated legato sound.
    Its sounds ok but I think the sustain pedal sounds much better in GPO.I could just overdub the sustain by recording it but a smart slur that generates this data for the mac version would be very nice to have.

jaredq,

I wish I could write plug-ins too. Human playback currently does not use GPO's legato feature. What human playback does do is overlap the notes slightly.

What I do is create two expressions: One expression with a playback definition of sustain pedal on, the other with sustain pedal off. I apply these using a meta-tool to the beginning and ending notes in a slur.

My preference is to leave the actual slurs and add sustain pedal expressions in the string parts. Human playback adds a little overlap which helps.

But I prefer to remove the written slurs from woodwind and brass parts. Since these are monophonic instruments, notes never overlap in an actual instrument. I just add the sustain pedal expressions to reeds and brass.

Jeff

Jeff,Thanks for the tip. I am going to create some expressions of my own.I was curious of the shape you use or do you just use a blank symbol?
    I know the shape of the symbol has no effect on the data it creates.But for viewing the score I guess the smallest symbol would work best.

jaredq,

I create a separate score for playback. So looks don't matter.

My two slur expressions are: start slur & end slur
    I know, real creative. But since I delete the smart shape slurs in the horns and add these expressions instead, I really need a playback only score to work with.

You can create an expression that only shows on screen and doesn't print if you like. You do this similiar to the way you'd make an expression italic for example. Underneath (plain, italic, bold, ...) there's a choice that's called "hidden". Use that. Your expression will be hidden when printed.

Robert Piechaud (developer of human playback) has hinted that the GPO method of creating legato with CC#64, might be available in a future version of human playback. Nothing definitve yet.

JT

Go Back to forum